10/2/2022 8:40 pm  #1

What is your favorite Bing Crosby radio show?

Just to get some conversations going - what was your favorite era of Bing's radio show?

Favorite Bing Radio Show?

11/2/2022 4:08 pm  #2

Re: What is your favorite Bing Crosby radio show?

Neck and neck race right now between KMH and Philco Radio Time.

13/2/2022 9:36 pm  #3

Philco Radio Time is edging out KMH!

14/2/2022 6:46 am  #4

I had to choose General Electric solely for the musical material in it. The other shows are more entertaining dialogue wise, but the material Bing does in the General Electric shows I always look for to.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

16/2/2022 2:28 pm  #5

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I had to choose General Electric solely for the musical material in it. The other shows are more entertaining dialogue wise, but the material Bing does in the General Electric shows I always look for to.

Interesting choice. I picked KMH, but I think the quality of songs Bing sang were the best during that era. Every era was great though!

17/2/2022 12:42 pm  #6

Archiefit wrote:

I chose the Philco Radio time era, 2nd would have been Chesterfield.   I suppose one reason is that it was the Philco shows that I first heard in the '70's that really made a fan out of me for the first time.  Before hearing them to me as a kid in the '60's I had only known Bing as the old guy in the Hollywood Palace shows and who would do Christmas shows which I mainly never watched preferring Bob Hope's Christmas shows better.  I liked those Philco's because Bing really showed his great sense of humor in them and his guests were all either top notch or at the least fun & interesting.  The shows were lively and never boring.

I did like most all of Bing's songs in the Kraft years but the combination of the 2 most annoying and NOT funny people Bob Burns and Victor Borge in most of them really had me hitting the fast forward button every time Bing had them on.  Also the lousy writing of the shows where they just weren't near as clever or funny as the Philco ones just turned me off.   Other than Bing's singing they were either boring or annoying except when Bing was actually singing.   But I can't argue that Bing's actual songs in them wasn't top notch.   His voice was in fine form. 

I also really enjoyed his GE shows, so that's just my humble opinion.   Others may feel free to disagree as this all is just a matter of taste.   I remember my Dad thought Victor Borge was so funny, I just never saw it.  He used to love those PBS specials he did I just avoided them.

I do agree that Bob Burns and Victor Borge slowed down the show, and added nothing to Bing's radio show. 

20/2/2022 6:27 am  #7

BING CROSBY/ RADIO - there are many good radio programs AFTER 1935, that you note. They however, do not get (my ) vote./ / As a hard to find group, as a SOLO artist,the radio programs of 1931-32 , including , unsponsored & CREMO / MUSIC THAT SATISFIES -CHESTERFIELD'S 1933 / WOOD BURY SOAP 1933-35 -  are BETTER, in comparisons -when found & heard !/ 

23/3/2022 5:39 pm  #8

Colin Bratkovich wrote:

BING CROSBY/ RADIO - there are many good radio programs AFTER 1935, that you note. They however, do not get (my ) vote./ / As a hard to find group, as a SOLO artist,the radio programs of 1931-32 , including , unsponsored & CREMO / MUSIC THAT SATISFIES -CHESTERFIELD'S 1933 / WOOD BURY SOAP 1933-35 -  are BETTER, in comparisons -when found & heard !/ 

I have very limited experience with Bing's radio shows. I do have a soft spot for his 1949-52 Chesterfied shows simply because in the 1980's and as a youth in the UK, I purchased four LPs containing excerpts from (I think) these. Marketed by Precision Records & Tapes entitled, "Bing Crosby - The Radio Years", I was so impressed by the audio quality and really enjoyed their smooth production and humour. Colin, are there any of the very early shows you favour available to listen or buy?

I have taken delivery, today of your "Just Remember This" book and am finding it mightily impressive and informative. Thank you. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (23/3/2022 5:42 pm)

03/4/2022 5:16 am  #9

Ian / Since you have the book,I list (page 331-32) Crosby RADIO titles, moslly from (1931-35).As written before the internet, many of these were found from various sources,& sometimes not in great shape.I also included radio commercials,or those I identified as such.After the book was published,like many other things, I discovered,to my delight, ( on the net  & on CDs )MORE pre-1935 Crosby radio programs, as well as some very well done programs after 1935.Yes- some very good stuff after 1935, although my ears still favour the earlier shows.There is so much MORE now out there! It is a lot easier NOW, to find vintage Bing on radio!/Some would include " 1932 :/Love Me Tonight/Say It isn't So / Some Of These Days / 1933 : The Day You Came Along / Beutiful Girl / 1934:For All We Know/I'm In Love/Just A Wearing For You/P.S.I Love You/The Moon Is Yellow/I'm Getting Sentimental Over You/Out In The Cold Again/If I Had A Million Dollars/ A New Moon Is Over My Shoulder/ I think I will stop here, as there is so MUCH more NOW out there- including some COMPLETE Woodbury shows.,& some excellent (early) Karft stuff.I must admit I now like a lot more, as I have NOW heard more./Hope you like them,as much as I have-when found & heard/

18/5/2022 2:34 am  #10

Colin,

Please accept my apologies for this tardy response. Unknowingly and accidentally, I must have quickly deleted (along with many other emails) the auto-generated one which would have reminded me of your posted message. 

Due in large part to your highly informative and comprehensive book, your pages, song choices and insights on this subject have proven invaluable in my search for early-radio Bing.  For a number of years, other than just a couple of isolated purchases, I have largely neglected listening to the Crosby from the mid/late 1920's - all the way through to the close of the 1930's. My loss, many would say and they would be right. The sheer, often jazz fuelled fizz of his near first decade of recording is beyond impressive.  

Coincidentally, I've just found on recently acquiring (via my membership of the International Club Crosby), the independently produced Michael Feinstein CD release,"Bing Crosby Entertains - For Woodbury Soap" (2008) that it contains, bar one (no pun intended), all the songs you recommend, above. These were all of a man seemingly soaring those big ballad tenor high notes and on around three remaining songs, surfing some immaculate rhythms, completely on top his youthful game. They have proven a re-mastered, utter pleasure and delight.

On reading your message, today - I have now also heard for the first time (via YouTube), Bing's superb 1933 studio recording of "The Day You Came Along" (the one recording from your list, naturally absent from the CD) .  
Moving slightly along in years, further and far earlier CD purchases for example, "Bing Crosby - Kraft Music Hall … 1935-36” (on JSP) have too, proven satisfying.  

From the mid-eighties and on the same label but now accessing a long neglected dark corner of my LP cupboard, I've also discovered that two previously long believed (by me) studio compilation volumes (“Bing Crosby in the Thirties”) have in fact revealed themselves to be exclusively mid-decade radio recordings! The first two on volume one, though (“Please” and “Here Lies Love”) date from 1932.  

Also the ICC have recently furnished me with some more highly entertaining cuts from Bing's Kraft Music Hall Shows from the mid to late thirties and just touching 1940. All delightful but smoother affairs as more of Bing's hosting confidence shines through.

Further, your book has helped guide me as to what to enter into search engines and online discographies plus YouTube to also discover some further finds from Crosby's formative radio years. 

Thank you again, 
Ian.  

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (19/5/2022 12:06 am)

Board footera