14/10/2021 12:03 pm  #1

Bing & Satchmo (1960 album)

So last night after the kids were in bed, I put on my album of Bing & Satchmo and even though I have at least two copies on CD, it was great to here the LP of it. It is the MGM pressing and it does not have "Lazy River" on it, but it was still great to end the night with.

My favorite song from the album was Dardenella and Muskrat Ramble. I think I love these two recordings the most because I had them on a 45rpm when I was 7 years old. All the numbers are great but probably my least favorite is "Little Ol Tune". I don't feel like it fit in with the Dixieland sound. However, this whole album was an A+, and listen to Bing closely - you could tell he was having a ball with the recording sessions. He really had a smile in his voice.

Anyone else have any memories or opinions on this album?

14/10/2021 9:23 pm  #2

Re: Bing & Satchmo (1960 album)

I've had an exhausting day today, my car died and had to wait to be towed while I had groceries in the car....  I could go on but I'm wore to a frazzle (to quote Lum & Abner).   This is to explain why I don't have the energy to go look for my album version of Bing & Satch.   But I believe speaking off the top of me head (which is always chancy) that my album version didn't contain the "Little Ol Tune" song and maybe there was another one missing, I'm not sure.  But who cares I only listen to my computer version of that album now that came from a CD download, so I'm happy as a clam and I hear cuts from that album on a regular basis now when listening to my music playlist with all other artists (beside Bing) and songs from that lp pop up more now than I ever had a chance to listen to them when all I had was the album.   I rarely played my albums, I recorded the albums I liked best on cassette and I'd listen to those regularly.   But the computer has been a godsend when it comes to hearing all my music as opposed to rarely hearing it when it was just albums in a bin.

15/10/2021 12:02 am  #3

Archiefit wrote:

I've had an exhausting day today, my car died and had to wait to be towed while I had groceries in the car....  I could go on but I'm wore to a frazzle (to quote Lum & Abner).   This is to explain why I don't have the energy to go look for my album version of Bing & Satch.   But I believe speaking off the top of me head (which is always chancy) that my album version didn't contain the "Little Ol Tune" song and maybe there was another one missing, I'm not sure.  But who cares I only listen to my computer version of that album now that came from a CD download, so I'm happy as a clam and I hear cuts from that album on a regular basis now when listening to my music playlist with all other artists (beside Bing) and songs from that lp pop up more now than I ever had a chance to listen to them when all I had was the album.   I rarely played my albums, I recorded the albums I liked best on cassette and I'd listen to those regularly.   But the computer has been a godsend when it comes to hearing all my music as opposed to rarely hearing it when it was just albums in a bin.

The song that my album didn't have was "Lazy River" which is one of my favorites. My CD copy has it restored. I like CDs and MP3 for the easy storage, but there is just something about a vinyl record sometimes. I have a bunch of vinyl I still need to transfer, but I have some "sentimental" vinyl - mostly Bing that I could never part with.

15/10/2021 3:38 am  #4

I still have all albums I ever bought.  I haven't sold any.  At one time I picked out a bunch to sell but none of them was a Bing record then I couldn't bring myself to part with them.  Now I have the task of putting them all away again in some kind of order, ugh, I really wish I never took them out.   Also the Bing records were too hard to find to get rid of.   Besides I like looking at them even if I don't actually physically play them (I still "play" them thanks to my computer).   I transferred a lot of my albums to CD and I'm glad I did, it beats buying everything all over again.  Also lot of albums aren't on CD.

15/10/2021 8:23 am  #5

I've always loved this album. It was one of my earliest Crosby LP purchases in the very early 70s, as "The Special Magic of Bing & Satchmo", but it was a re-release in the UK MGM/Polydor "The Special Magic of..." series with no sleeve notes apart from a track listing (no "Lazy River"...) so it was a while in those far-off, pre-internet days before I learned of the original 1960 release. In the same series, "The Special Magic of Bing Crosby" turned out to be "Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings"! 

15/10/2021 11:29 am  #6

jeremyrose wrote:

I've always loved this album. It was one of my earliest Crosby LP purchases in the very early 70s, as "The Special Magic of Bing & Satchmo", but it was a re-release in the UK MGM/Polydor "The Special Magic of..." series with no sleeve notes apart from a track listing (no "Lazy River"...) so it was a while in those far-off, pre-internet days before I learned of the original 1960 release. In the same series, "The Special Magic of Bing Crosby" turned out to be "Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings"! 

Interesting about how those records were reissued. 

It is nice on the Bing & Satchmo album to hear Louis playing the trumpet too. In the last decade of his life, he became more of a pop star and didn't play much on recordings. 

I remember having the 45rpm of "Dardenella" and listening to the line "She looks so dreamy in her maiden form bra", and at 7 years old I thought it was so dirty! If I only knew what music would become!

16/10/2021 3:29 am  #7

I like this album a lot, but it is second to last place when ranking Bing's duets albums for me. I simply adore the Bing and Fred duet album from 1975, along with the Fancy Meeting You Here, then this album, and last the That Travelin' Two Beat album. All of them I enjoy though.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

16/10/2021 1:14 pm  #8

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I like this album a lot, but it is second to last place when ranking Bing's duets albums for me. I simply adore the Bing and Fred duet album from 1975, along with the Fancy Meeting You Here, then this album, and last the That Travelin' Two Beat album. All of them I enjoy though.

Interesting how everyone has different tastes when it comes to Bing. I would put this at the top of my duets list - although the Bing and Fred Astaire album was outstanding. I have never been a huge fan of Rosemary Clooney so I never ranked Bing and Clooney's album very high up - even though they were pretty good. 

16/10/2021 7:06 pm  #9

I wasn't a big Rosie fan either when I started out.   She was just there with Bing so I listened.   Well, she's grown on me.  Especially from listening to her and Bing's great 20 minute radio shows.   You could tell listening to them that Bing and Rosie really did get along and enjoyed each other's company.   That's what makes those shows so fun to hear, they're having a good time with each other.   So I guess the feeling's been passed on to me and that's why I like Rosie now, her voice really does blend well with Bing as Bing said they both sing in the same key so it was easy to sing together.    And if I had to choose a favorite duet Bing album it would still be Bing & Satchmo but those Bing & Rosie albums would be second.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T4M3Qgu552w/TldQyl_ZI6I/AAAAAAAAAVI/UhClPk4Buyc/s1600/Fancy-Front.jpg

Last edited by Archiefit (16/10/2021 7:08 pm)

18/10/2021 1:35 pm  #10

Good points Archiefit! I'll have to relisten to his albums with Rosemary Clooney. I don't dislike Rosemary Clooney, there is just a ton of other female singers that I like more.

19/10/2021 1:03 am  #11

Rosemary became one of my favorite female singers, so that definitely helps those records for me as well.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

19/10/2021 1:06 pm  #12

Regarding Rosemary Clooney, I don't know if it was years of smoking, but her voice didn't age well. I can't really listen to anything she did in the 1970s or later. I need to relisten some of her other work thought.

Board footera