New members are ALWAYS welcomed. If you are having any problems signing up or logging into the board, please contact me at davidlobosco@yahoo.com.
THE "RENT" FOR THIS BOARD HAS NOW BEEN PAID THROUGH October 22, 2026.
Offline
As we know, the lyrics of many popular songs include a reference to Bing. I just heard a recording by Al Bowlly which does that but Al interpolated something I'd not heard before: 'direct from Crosby we give it to you' I believe the recording was made in 1940 with Jimmy Messene's orchestra. I wonder what Johnny Burke thought of that.
Offline

Graham Pascoe wrote:
As we know, the lyrics of many popular songs include a reference to Bing. I just heard a recording by Al Bowlly which does that but Al interpolated something I'd not heard before: 'direct from Crosby we give it to you' I believe the recording was made in 1940 with Jimmy Messene's orchestra. I wonder what Johnny Burke thought of that.
Graham, You're referring to "Only Forever" sung as a duet with Jimmy Messene, with both playing guitars. There's no orchestra there. One of Al's last recordings and complete with Crosby "boo-boo-boo" imitations.
Offline
One of my favourite Bing references in song is in the French version of 'These Foolish Things' - 'Ces Petites Choses' - as recorded by French crooner Jean Sablon. '...ce doux refrain d'amour que Crosby chante...' ('...the tender love song sung by Crosby...') followed by a few 'boo-boo-boos'! Incidentally, Sablon recorded 'Ces Petites Choses' in 1936, and it always amazes me that even then - a year before Bing's first million-seller and a few years before the mega-stardom of the war years - he is still referenced in a recording aimed at the French market!
Offline
Thanks Richard for putting me tight on the Jimmy Messene accompaniment. Earlier this week I was listening to my radio and heard yet another song with a reference to Bing which I'd not heard before but I'm blowed if I can recall wha.ht it was.