03/12/2020 4:39 am  #1

‘Wig’ Wiggins Lives On

Apparently the University of Pittsburgh has been given his Bing archives.
https://www.pittwire.pitt.edu/accolades/university-library-system-acquires-bing-crosby-archives

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

03/12/2020 5:18 am  #2

Re: ‘Wig’ Wiggins Lives On

That is good news and especially that Bing was part owner of The Pittsburgh Pirates.
Pittsburgh is a nice city and has changed so much since I first visited in 1958. Last time about 5-6 years ago and quite a change.

04/12/2020 2:07 am  #3

It's nice his collection just won't be tossed out.  But wouldn't it have been even better if, before donating it all to a place where it will never be seen again by most people, if someone there could have put all the Bing videos up on Daily Motion or  Internet Archive first so everyone, particularly the people who want to see this stuff, the Bing fans, could see it.  

As it is now, who's going to ever see these gems other than the Univ. archivers.   I'm glad it's being preserved but it would have been so much better to first SHARE it with the public before burying it in a Univ. basement.   When I read Wig had every TV show Bing was in, that immediately brought to mind all the stuff we could have seen before it went to the univ vaults.  This is what the Internet Archive and Daily Motion were meant for for others interested to be able to see this stuff.   Now it's just as buried there as the Crosby collection is buried in the Crosby vaults.  No one will see these either at least not in our lifetimes.  So once again a grand opportunity to finally see ALL the episodes of Bing's TV sitcom, for example, is blown.   Assuming Wig really did have "every" Bing TV appearance as the article claims

04/12/2020 7:31 am  #4

I'm sure that is a very good point, Archiefit. I fear however that there are a few practical obstacles, one of which is the matter of rights. Wig had significant collection but he, and those who acquire it, have no greater right to disseminate it freely to all than you and I have.

Board footera