17/4/2011 3:25 pm  #1

3 May

In just over two weeks time, on 3 May, Bing would have been 108. (That is assuming that we now accept 1903 as being his true year of birth).

108 and new material is still being found, placed on the market, and bought by us, his still many fans.

Is there any other performer of whom that can be said? Quite a number who still have a steady market for their recordings and DVDs - Louis Armstrong, Fred Astaire, (just covering the 'A's) - but material not previously available?

Suggestions, anyone?

And this year sees the 85th anniversary of his first recordings.  So issues of recordings will span 85 years, and optimist that I am, I think that there are more to come.

18/4/2011 4:15 pm  #2

Re: 3 May

With that "wine cellar" collection of his, you KNOW there will be plenty more releases of things we've never seen or heard before!

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

18/4/2011 7:56 pm  #3

TCM is having a marathon of Bing movies. I'm trying to do something different this year. I may listen to Bing recordings all week in chronological order and see how far I get!

18/4/2011 11:04 pm  #4

I'm wondering if BING made any other separate CBS recordings after 1956, without Clooney, that we have yet to hear?  I'm thinking yes.  But, I am not sure.  Anyone know?  Obviously, he kept recording But, I'm only thinking of CBS related material.

18/4/2011 11:36 pm  #5

Tony wrote:

I'm wondering if BING made any other separate CBS recordings after 1956, without Clooney, that we have yet to hear?  I'm thinking yes.  But, I am not sure.  Anyone know?  Obviously, he kept recording But, I'm only thinking of CBS related material.

Tony, Bing was recording titles with Rosemary and individually for the Crosby Clooney show until at least 1960 (somewhat later with Rosemary). We probably have more dates to come if and when there are more issues from Bing Crosby Enterprises, but we now have the beginnings of an understanding of the dates of recording (as distinct from broadcasts). An update to my own discography is likely to be loaded soon which covers some of this but the Songography on the Bing magazine website also has listings.

Board footera