26/8/2019 8:29 am  #1

(Fairly unknown) tribute to Bing by Perry Como (plus duet!)(1959)

A really, really nice tribute from Mr. C. to Mr. C! I have never seen this before and like it very much!
The duet on 'Somebody else is taking my place' is very nicely done, in my opinion. If you do not know this, it is definitely worth watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBEDvK_RrsQ

27/8/2019 6:03 am  #2

Re: (Fairly unknown) tribute to Bing by Perry Como (plus duet!)(1959)

Wonderful! I had an audio copy of this but I had not seen it before. Amazing how clear the Bing recording was.

27/8/2019 6:06 pm  #3

That was a most enjoyable clip.
And Perry was never ever ashamed to say he admired Bing so much.
Would have been nice if they could have made a couple of LP’s together but working for different recording companies made it difficult.
Wh8le on the subject of that, wonder how many other great duets there could have been produced between various artists.
Bing and Fats Waller would have been an interesting duet.

28/8/2019 12:36 pm  #4

Archiefit wrote:

I'm glad Bing did a duet with Louis Jordan, his style was similar was to Fats Waller.   I like Louis's Decca songs.   But I've always wondered why or wished that Bing had recorded duets with Doris Day.   They both seem like a perfect match for each other.   Each had a cheery style but could still do wonders with a love song.   Maybe now in Heaven Bing and Doris are finally singing together.

On some days I like Doris Day and some days I don't. I think they were never at the same studio at the same time. Bing at Decca, and Day at Columbia most of her career. I am surprised they did not at least appear together on radio or television.

28/8/2019 4:08 pm  #5

Lobosco wrote:

Archiefit wrote:

I'm glad Bing did a duet with Louis Jordan, his style was similar was to Fats Waller.   I like Louis's Decca songs.   But I've always wondered why or wished that Bing had recorded duets with Doris Day.   They both seem like a perfect match for each other.   Each had a cheery style but could still do wonders with a love song.   Maybe now in Heaven Bing and Doris are finally singing together.

On some days I like Doris Day and some days I don't. I think they were never at the same studio at the same time. Bing at Decca, and Day at Columbia most of her career. I am surprised they did not at least appear together on radio or television.

I believe the closest they ever came was when both appeared in a Bob Hope radio show on 7 December 1948 but not actually together - Doris sang, Bing sang, they each sang with Bob but not together! Opportunity missed ?

08/9/2019 6:31 am  #6

Thank you for the opportunity to see that tribute by Perry Como. Wasn't it well done with some nice little touches such as winding up the gramophone (just like the one my family had when I was a lad but my parents had no Crosby records). Was it an excerpt from Perry's TV show in the mid or late 1950s?

Board footera