15/1/2019 4:04 pm  #1

50th Anniversary Concert at The London Palladium K-Tel LP -vs- CD

Hi everyone.  I have a question about Bing's live album titled "50th Anniversary Concert at The London Palladium",  I have the CD version of this with a black and white cover.  I know there was also a 2LP set put out by K-tel records in the 70s.  I am wondering if these two releases are the same.  They look the same, despite the different cover.  I think most of the tracks are the same but I do not have the K-Tel release.  Are they exactly the same or are there differences?
Thanks!

15/1/2019 6:26 pm  #2

Re: 50th Anniversary Concert at The London Palladium K-Tel LP -vs- CD

PeterC wrote:

Hi everyone.  I have a question about Bing's live album titled "50th Anniversary Concert at The London Palladium",  I have the CD version of this with a black and white cover.  I know there was also a 2LP set put out by K-tel records in the 70s.  I am wondering if these two releases are the same.  They look the same, despite the different cover.  I think most of the tracks are the same but I do not have the K-Tel release.  Are they exactly the same or are there differences?
Thanks!

Peter, Whilst I must admit that I have never undertaken a detailed track by track comparison I believe that they are the same with the major difference that one or two items from side two and all of side three of the two LP set have been omitted from the CD, whilst the CD has a couple of items omitted from the LP set..

A complete listing of the songs on the LP set is shown on the Discogs site here 
The two issues are the same up to "Hallelujah", but differ from that point up to the start of "The Crosby Medley" with "I Surrender, Dear" and thereafter appear to resume their similarity.

15/1/2019 9:48 pm  #3

I stumbled on the 2 record set in Vancouver on my way back to Australia.
I was a bit disappointed as it is not in the order of the concert.
I attended opening night in 1976 and again a couple of nights later as I was off to Montreal for the Olympic Games.
Then in 1977 I attended opening and closing nights and it was interesting seeing celebrity people there - Ronnie Barker and Henry Cooper for instance.
Opening night in 1976 Ted Rogers told a couple of jokes but these were omitted 3 nights later because of there content.
Also in 1977 Bing offered to sign programmes if left for him and would post them back. Wonder if he got to sign them all because as we know he passed on within the week.
Wonderful concerts and virtually on stage for the whole duration.
Too bad a decent TV show wasn't recorded as is done with other artists.
In 1976 I remember the Evening Standard headline - Bing at the Palladium - all seats £5.00

16/1/2019 1:10 am  #4

On this love album, Bing sounds a lot better than one might suppose he should sound if they were just going by his age and appearance.  I also recently picked up the United Artists 3CD set which has some real gems.  

They should remaster the 50th anniversary concert and re-release it with a nicer cover.  The CD I have actually looks a bit amateurishly done.  But it is a very solid concert with good diversity of material. 

16/1/2019 3:49 am  #5

They didn't video tape it!?!?!
That is insane indeed.

Gosh, if it were someone today there would be digital recorders from all angles not to mention a thousand smart phones held up!

08/3/2022 8:35 pm  #6

PeterC wrote:

They didn't video tape it!?!?!
That is insane indeed.

Gosh, if it were someone today there would be digital recorders from all angles not to mention a thousand smart phones held up!

I couldn't agree more, Peter. For example, the BBC in the UK were always very Bing friendly - and he to them. They had for years and during the seventies been recording and broadcasting concerts for television such as "Sinatra at Festival Hall" (1970) and "Tony Bennett at Royal Festival Hall" (1974), and decent amounts at least of concert footage for their Perry Como 1975 UK tour documentary. So why not "Bing Crosby at the London Palladium" (1976/7)? What made this so short sighted at the time was that unlike the previous three gentleman, dear Bing was by then of course - and certainly by the general age expentancies of 46 years ago, far into the autumn of his years. Although no one in 1976 could have at all predicted what was to happen in Madrid the following year, you would have thought a BBC producer such as the late Yvonne Littlewood's standing could have been given the go ahead. I don't know what anyone else's thoughts might be but as I'm currently typing, I'm just wondering could there have actually been a discussion over this and then possibly a potential "rights" clash with the album's record label - and the BBC?

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (08/3/2022 8:47 pm)

08/3/2022 9:47 pm  #7

PeterC wrote:

On this love album, Bing sounds a lot better than one might suppose he should sound if they were just going by his age and appearance.  I also recently picked up the United Artists 3CD set which has some real gems.  

They should remaster the 50th anniversary concert and re-release it with a nicer cover.  The CD I have actually looks a bit amateurishly done.  But it is a very solid concert with good diversity of material. 

I also love this double vinyl album and only wish there had been enough space to include more of Bing's fabulous full solos. I couldn't agree more, Peter about a far more expansive CD release including ommited tracks such as "Great Day" . This may well be one of the songs Richard was alluding to being missing from the LP edition but included on the pared down CD you mentioned.

Hell, let's go the whole "Sinatra Estate"-type box set whole hog and have a multi CD/DVD release, featuring both re-mastered and re-assembled 1976 and '77 "complete" show editions, with a full colour booklet including all the detailed track listings, plenty of colour photographs, original print reviews along with liner notes, essays and appreciations by Gary Giddens, Will Friedwald, Michael Parkinson, and of course our own Malcolm MacFarlane and an exclusive interview with Mrs Crosby. Also a reproduction of one of the evening's programme/souvenir brochures and facsimiles of an engagement-appropriate glossy, autographed photo of Bing and a concert ticket itself.

All with an extra DVD disc containing the full 1977 Norway Concert, 1975 Parkinson interview and some further radio and TV interview spots with Bing speaking of his recent concert engagements. Plus it all to be dedicated to the fond memories of Ken Barnes, Pete Moore - and of course Bing himself, without whom …

I know, a rights "clearance" and risky expense-ridden nightmare for its producer - but heaven for us.  

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/3/2022 6:36 am)

Board footera