28/11/2017 3:53 am  #1

It's Christmas Time!

Here we are 40 years since Bing's passing and while the legacy of other singers of the last century grows in stature, Bing struggles to be remembered as more than the singer of the most successful Christmas song of all time.

Friends! I'll be the first to admit that for years, to me, Bing was the festive balladeer of the yuletide season!

It was only much later when I wondered why Sinatra's legacy continued to grow while Bing's did not that I began to immerse myself in the rest of his career at large and truly appreciate his enormous talent.

And while it would be easy to grow frustrated with those holiday tunes that have overshadowed the rest of his work, much as it would be to grow weary of an actors movies that were unbelievably successful but failed to highlight all of said actors abilities..(hmm this could apply to Bing as well!).. the truth is that when it comes to singing a holiday song, Bing was the Babe Ruth of the Christmas season! (Or was Ruth the Bing Crosby of Baseball?)

75 years since being recorded "White Christmas" is STILL a holiday juggernaut! But Bing's recordings of "Silent Night", "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas", "Silver Bells", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "Do You Hear What I Hear" to name a few also remain some of the best known and best loved versions!

Let's celebrate Bing's continued legacy as the VOICE OF CHRISTMAS and maybe when someone remarks that they love "White Christmas" or some other Crosby tune lean in and say, "but have you ever heard him sing jazz or his albums with Rosemary Clooney?"

Board footera