22/2/2016 6:01 pm  #1

Greetings from San Francisco!

Hello All,

Greetings from San Francisco. I grew up a few blocks from Bing and Kathryn's home in Hillsborough, and as a child, I have many fond memories of Bing, from seeing him at the ice cream store with his family, to him accidentally rear-ending my father in a very very minor traffic accident in Burlingame, CA, (who could get angry if Bing tapped your vehicle!) Nonetheless, I have grown to be an ardent fan of Bing, and have inadvertently "caught the Bing bug". I have become fascinated by Bing in many of the different aspects in which his life unfolded. I truly enjoy all the music that bing has recorded, and find that I am continuing to learn of new music that i did not know about. I hope to learn more here of the "different" or "not so ordinary" pieces of his work both on film and in music. When traveling, I try to make it to everything associated with Bing as well. Lastly, I have grown a nice collection of Bing memorabilia that I am happy to share info about as well. To summarize it briefly, I am hooked on Bing.

Thanks,

Tim

23/2/2016 6:07 pm  #2

Re: Greetings from San Francisco!

El Timbo wrote:

I have many fond memories of Bing, - - to him accidentally rear-ending my father in a very very minor traffic accident in Burlingame, CA, (who could get angry if Bing tapped your vehicle!)  

Welcome Tim. I hope Bing's insurers paid out for the dent!  Or do you keep such a thing as a dent in your vehicle with such connections as a souvenir? 

24/2/2016 5:54 pm  #3

Welcome aboard Tim,
I rented a 'bomb' car and drove up to Bing's house and looked through the gates to the house.
Then my car, oops, bomb, wouldn't start and I had my head under the bonnet looking for I don't know what as I'm no mechanic. At this moment the gates had opened and I saw Kathryn driving off so I missed out on a chance of saying hello. This was in 1981.
I finally met Kathryn 20 years later at Hofstra.
I also popped into Burlingame.

25/2/2016 6:58 am  #4

Thank you Richard and Ron! There was no real damage to Dad's car, and the bragging rights alone that it happened was well worth it. It was always such a pleasure to see him about town and acting as just your average neighbor. The public treated he and his family just the same, with respect and privacy. Also, Trick-or-Treating at his house on Halloween, would always provide for a full size Hershey's Chocolate Bar with Almonds. Quite the treat.

I'm curious, did Kathryn sell her home in Genoa, Nevada after Maurice Sullivan passed away in that auto accident, or does she still spend time there? The front gate on the home in Hillsborough still remains open.

Cheers!

25/2/2016 5:36 pm  #5

I think she has sold the Genoa home as I had a letter returned some years ago. One time my wife and I had been to Las Vegas and tried to see her but no luck, however she did ring me when I was on the plane just before take off.

12/3/2016 5:58 am  #6

Tim, your 'discovery' of new things Bing is something which many of us have been experiencing for years. It's surprising how previously unknown or unavailable material comes to light. Bing intended to perform in Australia (where I live) after his 1977 tour of Britain but his death prevented that. His first record 'I've got the girl' was released here (credited to the Charleston Serenaders) and most of his singles were pressed here during the next few decades. He was a major force in Aussie entertainment for many years.

Board footera