30/8/2013 2:43 pm  #1

Randy Travis acknowledges Bing's influence!

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/August/27Randy_Travis_Pays_Homage_To_His_Influences_On_New_Album.shtml

"Randy Travis will be paying homage to some of the artists that were the biggest influence on him with the release of his new album "Influence Vol. 1: The Man I Am," on October 1st.The album features Travis' recordings of songs that touched him in his own career including several tracks by Merle Haggard, along with songs from George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Lefty Frizzell and more.

"When I think of my musical heroes of yesteryear, or the younger stars of this year, I am reminded that it is true we learn from the ones ahead of us, and teach the ones that follow. They are the reason I chose to make this album," says Randy Travis.

The track representing Bing is "Pennies From Heaven", but filtered through Merle Haggard, it would seem. This is the way it is listed - 

Pennies From Heaven
Influence: Merle Haggard (1986)
Songwriters: Arthur Johnston (music) Johnny Burke (lyrics)
Original Performer: Bing Crosby
Originally Released: 1936

03/9/2013 1:03 pm  #2

Re: Randy Travis acknowledges Bing's influence!

Well, Richard, the fact that Randy Travis could be influenced by Bing may look odd at first glance, but the truth is that it isn't that strange. If you hear Travis' country style, there is more than a hint of Bing on some of his songs, and Bing actually influenced many other country singers, particularly western swing vocalist Tommy Duncan, who used to sing with Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys. It seems to be, however, more of an indirect influence in the case of Travis, since his acquaintance with "Pennies from Heaven" comes courtesy of Merle Haggard, who used to love to sing that song in his live performances. Here is a live version of "Pennies from Heaven" by Haggard with Les Paul on guitar. Merle swings lightly on this one and seems to be better acquainted with Sinatra's version than with Bing's original:

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (03/9/2013 1:05 pm)

Board footera