27/10/2023 7:09 pm  #1

Bing Crosby Gems

I just preordered the CD and colored LP. Any info on this?

30/10/2023 1:49 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby Gems

Here is the track listing for the album - I don't know if there is anything rare on it, but nice to see new issues of Bing!

1. Let It Snow!
2. Just What I Wanted For Christmas
3. O LIttle Town Of Bethlehem
4. How Lovely Is Christmas
5. Away In A Manger
6. Good King Wenceslas
7. The Night Before Christmas
8. Christmas Island (w. Kathryn Crosby)
9. Joy To The World
10. The Secret Of Christmas
11. White World Of Winter
12. A Marshmellow World (w. Ella Fitzgerald)
13. Christmas Star
14. Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy (w. David Bowie)

Last edited by David Lobosco (30/10/2023 1:50 pm)

03/11/2023 2:54 am  #3

Love it! I listened to the CD today. Great sound! I am waiting for red vinyl lp. Is there a green one too?

21/12/2023 1:52 am  #4

While I hate to be negative, I must admit I'm not very enthused about this release. It pales in comparison to "The Crosby Christmas Sessions" back in 2010, which really was full of rare gems in wonderful sound quality. In some ways it feels to me like a rebranded version of the "Christmas with Bing!" CD that the Bing Crosby Archive put out via Sony in 2013, though I acknowledge that seems to have had a limited release.

I guess my disappointment stems partly from a feeling that they could have done much more with this. Could someone do a better remastering job on "Just What I Wanted for Christmas"? Could they find some more pristine recordings from the "Christmas Sing with Bing" shows? What about seeing if they can get high-quality versions of the songs he did for The Hollywood Palace but never recorded commercially, like "The Christmas Waltz" and "This is That Time of the Year"?

Just my two cents.

21/12/2023 3:15 am  #5

It wouldn't surprise me if some of those mentioned recordings are being saved for another release. I think the main issue with Just What I Wanted For Christmas is that I believe it is the original Columbia mono mix, which, like a lot of mono mixes from them around that time, is somewhat muddy. The track was released in true stereo on some obscure LP a long while ago, so maybe the stereo tapes are still out there and it could be remixed. Similarly hopefully the stereo tapes of "The Secret Of Christmas" from the same session could get a remix and master for release.

I am also somewhat disappointed by this release as far as new material, however I don't view it too negatively because for non-devoted fans, this will probably seem pretty fresh for release. It's the first time most of these have gotten official streaming releases as well. Maybe some day we can get a reissue of "The Crosby Christmas Sessions"; the one archive release that never got that luxury under UMe.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

Board footera