12/6/2023 9:17 pm  #1

Darin/Mercer 'Two Of A Kind'

After more than half a century of listening to 'our kind of music' (with Bing very much at the forefront, of course), I'm still occasionally delighted by a 'new' discovery which I can't believe has evaded me for all that time. The latest addition to the list is the discovery a few months ago of the 1960 album, 'Two Of A Kind', from Bobby Darin and Johnny Mercer, with arrangements and backing by the great Billy May. On every track, Darin and Mercer sound like they're having an absolute ball and Billy May's arrangements are (dare I say it..?!) even more effective than those he provided for Bing and Rosie on 'Fancy Meeting You Here.' I listen to this album a lot, and it never fails to elicit an ear-to-ear grin from beginning to end. Bobby Darin was a great song stylist and Mercer's more overtly 'jazz chops', together with Billy May's arrangements and backing make for a very satisfying listen. 

Has anyone else got any 'left-field' entries into their play-lists..?

13/6/2023 11:56 am  #2

Re: Darin/Mercer 'Two Of A Kind'

jeremyrose wrote:

After more than half a century of listening to 'our kind of music' (with Bing very much at the forefront, of course), I'm still occasionally delighted by a 'new' discovery which I can't believe has evaded me for all that time. The latest addition to the list is the discovery a few months ago of the 1960 album, 'Two Of A Kind', from Bobby Darin and Johnny Mercer, with arrangements and backing by the great Billy May. On every track, Darin and Mercer sound like they're having an absolute ball and Billy May's arrangements are (dare I say it..?!) even more effective than those he provided for Bing and Rosie on 'Fancy Meeting You Here.' I listen to this album a lot, and it never fails to elicit an ear-to-ear grin from beginning to end. Bobby Darin was a great song stylist and Mercer's more overtly 'jazz chops', together with Billy May's arrangements and backing make for a very satisfying listen. 

Has anyone else got any 'left-field' entries into their play-lists..?

Firstly, Two Of A Kind is one of my favorite albums of all-time. Bobby Darin and Johnny Mercer, although seperated by a generation - sound perfect together. I have copies of this masterpiece on vinyl and CD. I am always discovering new albums or recordings I had never listened to . A couple months ago, I dsicovered Jo Stafford's album she did in the 1960s for Reprise called "Getting Sentinmental Over Tommy Dorsey". The album floored me!

Board footera