14/5/2023 1:32 am  #1

Bing & Bob in the NY Times

From the New York Times review of the new movie "Book Club: The Next Chapter" ....

How interesting to compare this sequel and its spiritual sister, “80 for Brady” (released earlier this year, also co-starring Fonda), to the generic tough guy B-pictures that preoccupy so many male actors of their generation. While the men huff around with revolvers, the women have embraced the model of the old “Road to … ” series with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. It’s not dynamic cinema (and it’s not even legitimately good); it’s simply faces we enjoy enjoying themselves. The hangover sets in only when the film stirs in false suspense about its half-baked climax. The drag of herding these high jinks toward a resolution makes us want to cut and run. If there must be a third movie, just let the cast chug wine in real time.

Nice to see how iconic the "Road" pictures remain - though Bing deserved top billing over Bob here!

15/5/2023 1:28 am  #2

Re: Bing & Bob in the NY Times

Thanks tedn! I would like to see those 2 movies! I don't care what critics say. I always have a different opinion.

17/5/2023 11:13 am  #3

My wife and I saw the Book Club 2nd Chapter film a few days ago. It’s nice to see the four great gals together but it is slow going and the energy levels are low which is understandable given their ages. The Italian scenery was a big plus but not much of a plot. The only comparison with the Road films would be that Bing and Bob would have had the same amount of energy that the girls here have if they had made the final instalment of Road to the Fountain of Youth. Best they left it with Hong Kong I think. 

17/5/2023 11:24 am  #4

dgmprod wrote:

My wife and I saw the Book Club 2nd Chapter film a few days ago. It’s nice to see the four great gals together but it is slow going and the energy levels are low which is understandable given their ages. The Italian scenery was a big plus but not much of a plot. The only comparison with the Road films would be that Bing and Bob would have had the same amount of energy that the girls here have if they had made the final instalment of Road to the Fountain of Youth. Best they left it with Hong Kong I think. 

Whenever I watch The Road To Hong Kong though - I either want  better movie to end it with or if they would have ended with Bali.

Board footera