07/11/2011 8:28 pm  #1

Hello Everyone

Hi, I'll be honest here that i have sort of grown up with Bing being around in sound and on film and , as with osmosis sort of absorbed him. However, i was more "Pink Floyd early days" tha n Bing  - who 'belonged' to my mother's generation as i thought then. It's only in later middle age i have listened again and, along with many others i'm sure,  realised that there was music before the 60's including the blues and jaz vocalists and orchestras !

I have been looking through some old records from childhood and passed down and though there are a number of Bing 12"records from 50's and 60's mostly i think there is one i have tried to find out more about but can't find listed anywhere at all.

I registered hoping someone here with the enthusiasm, interest and knowledge of his career might point me in a direction i could find out more.  It's called Blue of the night , catalogue number LA 8595, matrix MG 1318 - 1B/MG1319-1B on Brunswick Records, 10" LP - 33 and a third rpm , eight tracks . I have some scans.

Be grateful for any assistance in my quest.

Thanks

chris

07/11/2011 11:41 pm  #2

Re: Hello Everyone

chrisjm wrote:

I registered hoping someone here with the enthusiasm, interest and knowledge of his career might point me in a direction i could find out more.  It's called Blue of the night , catalogue number LA 8595, matrix MG 1318 - 1B/MG1319-1B on Brunswick Records, 10" LP - 33 and a third rpm , eight tracks . I have some scans.

Be grateful for any assistance in my quest.

Thanks

chris

Hello, Chris, and welcome to this forum.

The record you have is a British Brunswick 10 inch LP first issued around about August 1953. It was one of a longish series issued by this arm of British Decca using Bing's back catalogue of recordings originally issued on 78 rpm records, and includes Bing's long standing signature tune  ' Where The Blue Of The Night'.

I'm uncertain what other data you might want - obviously you know all eight titles on it, which all were recorded in the 1930s. Some other detail that might be of interest to you can be found in my discography at http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Crosby/crosby.html

Click on 'The Decca Years' and get your browser to search for each individual title.  (Or just browse to see the amazing amount of material for which Bing was responsible!)

But if there is anything else, please return and ask for any other detail. One of us might be able to help and will be very happy to do so.  That's what this site is for - to foster an interest in Bing.

Last edited by Richard Baker (07/11/2011 11:44 pm)

14/11/2011 3:22 am  #3

Chris, it's great to hear of another new forum member!  The 10" LPs are interesting.  Some as Richard explains rerelease songs from Bing's 78 albums, but Bing's very first collections intended for LPs were released on that size. All but the very first of those were rereleased in 12" versions only a few years later, adding what would now be called bonus tracks.

14/11/2011 11:16 am  #4

Thank you both for your replies, just working through what's here at the moment, some later 12" LPs and also older 78's -though singles as it were, the Brunswick one is the only 10" LP. i'm highly unlikely to collect them as i've no turntables any longer, sad but true!  the history interest me and then i'll probably see if anyone is interested in them as they are better with a true fans  than myself where they will probably lie in a box collecting dust whilst i buy CD copies of them!

14/11/2011 2:34 pm  #5

chrisjm wrote:

- - - as i've no turntables any longer, sad but true!  - - -

Chris, Bing had a song to suit - 'Get Yourself a Phonograph' (in the Film 'Emperor Waltz').

But then he did say 'There's Nothing I Haven't Sung About' !

Board footera