25/3/2022 7:58 pm  #26

Re: Time To Start The New Year Right With Our Guy & A Special Guest

Archiefit wrote:

Look at the glass 1/2 full, as I think we were both 1/2 right, you said Buddy, I said Billy add it up we were both right.   Least that's the way I like to see it.   Always on the sunny side, that's me.
The latest Sounds Like Radio was Episode 92 (wow, that means since I started the podcast I've done 92 Music & Gildersleeve shows, hard to believe) hope you heard it as I featured a not usually heard Peggy Lee song, our weekly visit with a Bing Crosby song, my imitation of Crazy Gugenheim and a Frank Fontaine song, a Gale Storm (My Little Margie girl) song, a fantastic Sophie Tucker song from the album I've had since I was 4 and a short retro song from Al Jolson.   Next week's show is already "in the can" but I'll get to your requests after that.  

Yes, I'm a long time fan of Jaye P. Morgan a woman with a great sense of humor and a great voice.   She's one of my "go to" singers for the show.  

As for your DVD finds of Bing Crosby TV shows, good job on the search.  Some of those shows though are available now on Utube, High Tor is one I know is there and so is that live concert show and Bing's 50th Anniv. show, so you might save some money going to Utube.   Unfortunately I have no idea how to download their junk, but you can buy a hook-up do-hickey that you hook up to your computer and to a DVD recorder and you can record the shows yourself.    

It took me awhile, but I download an app on to my computer, where I can take You Tube videos and convert them and burn them on DVD, Unfortunately, some of the new BluRay players won't play these "bootleg" DVDs. I downloaded some of the better quality Hollywood Palace shows.

I don't make the DVDs enough so every time I go to do it, I forget how and it takes me an extra hour or two to figure it out!

25/3/2022 9:09 pm  #27

I have tried a couple of different internet gimmicks that were supposed to allow downloading Utubes but none of them ever worked.   Did the app you find allow you to turn a Utube video into an Mp4 file on your computer?   If so what was this app?

25/3/2022 10:36 pm  #28

Lobosco wrote:

Archiefit wrote:

Look at the glass 1/2 full, as I think we were both 1/2 right, you said Buddy, I said Billy add it up we were both right.   Least that's the way I like to see it.   Always on the sunny side, that's me.
The latest Sounds Like Radio was Episode 92 (wow, that means since I started the podcast I've done 92 Music & Gildersleeve shows, hard to believe) hope you heard it as I featured a not usually heard Peggy Lee song, our weekly visit with a Bing Crosby song, my imitation of Crazy Gugenheim and a Frank Fontaine song, a Gale Storm (My Little Margie girl) song, a fantastic Sophie Tucker song from the album I've had since I was 4 and a short retro song from Al Jolson.   Next week's show is already "in the can" but I'll get to your requests after that.  

Yes, I'm a long time fan of Jaye P. Morgan a woman with a great sense of humor and a great voice.   She's one of my "go to" singers for the show.  

As for your DVD finds of Bing Crosby TV shows, good job on the search.  Some of those shows though are available now on Utube, High Tor is one I know is there and so is that live concert show and Bing's 50th Anniv. show, so you might save some money going to Utube.   Unfortunately I have no idea how to download their junk, but you can buy a hook-up do-hickey that you hook up to your computer and to a DVD recorder and you can record the shows yourself.    

It took me awhile, but I download an app on to my computer, where I can take You Tube videos and convert them and burn them on DVD, Unfortunately, some of the new BluRay players won't play these "bootleg" DVDs. I downloaded some of the better quality Hollywood Palace shows.

I don't make the DVDs enough so every time I go to do it, I forget how and it takes me an extra hour or two to figure it out!

Ah! You're a braver man than I. Quite a few years ago, I used to be able to do a little bit of PC audio burning, copying onto blank CD discs from radio programmes (but always under semi-supervision)- the first one being a BBC radio documentary about Bing.

However I can entirely sympathise with easily forgetting these technical things if not they're not undertaken frequently. My copious home DVD copying has, over the previous twenty years, been entirely taken from broadcast television (or radio programmes). They're recorded (via my rooftop TV aerial) straight on to my DVD recorder's hard drive and then copied and "finalised" using the same machine onto a disc.

I've managed to record, burn and archive a few nice things featuring Bing that way. I think the most recent was a pristine recording of Bing guesting on Dame Vera Lynn's TV show in 1975, performing The Carpenters' "Sing" with her. It was part of an elegant, no frills tribute compilation the BBC assembled in tribute to her passing a couple of years ago. There's been a slightly fuzzy but still most welcome version of it on YouTube for a number of years, now. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (25/3/2022 11:04 pm)

25/3/2022 11:55 pm  #29

Archiefit wrote:

Yes, I think it's great we both side the positive side of things than the negative. I'll certainly settle for your generous "half right" each Buddy/Billy puzzlement.

Thanks again for the recording advice, Archiefit. I think I'd need someone sitting by me and my PC over several weeks with the patience of a saint, teaching me to record these YouTube bits.

I've watched the 50th Anniversary Concert on there and loved it. I've known about it for forty years and never thought I'd ever actually get to see it. Everyone was on cracking form. I was so enjoying it that  it was only as I was wondering why the unsatisfactorily fade at the end and no taped exit (as there had been with Bing's entrance), that I then remembered this was the show the poor old lad had that twenty/twenty-five foot backwards fall at the end!

I listened to Sounds Like Radio 92 last night and had a great time. You've sent me to my CD/LP cupboard to search out the full Peggy Lee "Sea Shells" album  after you played her singing "The Gold Wedding Ring" . The gentle harp accompaniment so perfectly suits her subtle, haunting vocals. Dare I ask if our man's marvellously laid back rendition of the Astaire associated "I Guess I'll  Have to Change my Plan" was Buddy Cole backed? He really can so seemingly casually command our attention. I'd never heard Jolson sing "An Old Fashioned Girl in a Gingham Gown", before. It sounded a rare one?  A lovely Thursday evening well spent. Thanks again, Humble Host!

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (30/3/2022 1:32 pm)

26/3/2022 1:12 am  #30

Probably the hardest thing about recording Utube using a DVD recorder is that they're no longer made anymore.   Most people today don't even have one.   If I use that device I bought several years back and hook it up from my computer over to the audio and video inputs on my DVD recorder then I can record.  But I have never figured out how to download from Utube.   There are other places that you can download but the rats at Utube are sneaky or greedy depending on how you look at it and they make it as difficult as possible. 

Really happy to hear you enjoyed the latest episode 92 of Sounds Like Radio.   I post new shows every week.   Epis. 93 goes up on Monday.   I'm currently planning out the next shows after that and I will be including your song requests, figuring how to relate them to the Gildersleeve show plots. 

Yes as for Epis. 92, I had not heard that Peggy Lee song before till I heard that album.   The Bing song "Guess I'll Have to Change My Plans" was originally a Buddy Cole radio recording with Bing, but the version I played was the orchestra added one they did in 1979 with Ken Barnes, I believe.   If I have a choice between the organ alone version or an orchestra added version I'll go for the orch. version every time.   There isn't always a choice.   I play a Bing song each week and have to figure which one that will best relate to each Gildersleeve plot, sometimes it's a stretch but Bing will always come through.  That was a rare one from Al Jolson, from his earlier radio shows.   That came off of an album I bought over 30 some years ago, it's not on CD as far as I know.   Sophie Tucker is always a hoot for me to hear.

26/3/2022 3:23 pm  #31

Yes, DVD recorders do seem to be on the way out. They're a little more available in the UK, still but the vast majority of people are now content to record a programme on their subscription storage service ("Sky Plus" is very popular over here) and then delete, once having viewed.

Sophie Tucker was a true original wasn't she? "The Last of the Red Hot Mommas" (whatever that relates to?). I wonder if anyone knows if she ever performed with Bing at anytime? I'm almost certain I've heard a solo recording of him singing her, "Some of These Days" song.

Thanks for identifying the orchestral version of Bing's, "I Guess I'll Have to Change my Plan". I should have realised, as you've now happily caused me to seek out both versions on a couple of box sets. The Buddy Cole trio version on the Mosaic seven disc CD set - and the added orchestral version you played, which thanks to you, I've now noticed on my 1987 triple LP "Tenth Anniversary" collection. This brings together (I think) all the orchestrally embellished tracks. Coincidentally, just a couple of weeks a go, I ordered the CD version of this, only for it to get lost in the post! 

Yes I agree, I so love the orchestrally added tracks. My favourite is what they did with "Straight Down The Middle", which sounds so authentically of its time. 

Jolson has always fascinated me, so thanks for putting me straight on that one. So rare sounding. I love his later Decca recordings with his older, richer and deeper voice. Do you have a preference? He and Bing worked so well together on the radio, didn't they?

I'll privately message you again very soon about the instrumental tracks and let you know when I do.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (26/3/2022 3:25 pm)

26/3/2022 5:44 pm  #32

Good to hear you can at least still buy a DVD recorder there, I thought the only country that still sold them new was Japan.   I have never used a DVR they are only good for temporary recordings or as long as you pay your monthly fees.  Once you buy a DVD, CD etc. it's yours for life.   Good thing I didn't stream my Sophie Tucker album in 1962 or I wouldn't have it today.   I played that record at one time for my grandmother and she told me she once went to a nightclub, I believe in Atlantic City, and saw Sophie Tucker perform.   I remember my Dad liked seeing her on TV too as we watched her on Ed Sullivan.  So I guess this all influenced me to like her too and what made me want her album when I saw it when I was little.

That's horrible the CD version of 10th Anniv. getting lost.  They're hard enough to find I hope you were able to get another.  You bring up an interesting point.   You say you like "Straight Down The Middle" orch. version.   Well several years ago I noticed that the original version and the so-called orch. added version are exactly the same.  I don't believe that was really a orch. added version I think it was recorded that way to begin with.  I've heard both versions and I can't tell the difference.   Maybe an expert here will be able to tell what if any the difference is between the original and the supposed re-done version.   I don't think it was ever re-orchestrated, I never heard an organ version.

Yes, I far prefer Jolson's later deeper voice as opposed to his '30's and earlier style.   I mainly only own Jolson's '40's recordings both radio and Decca as I don't like his high voice earlier records.   I read he had to have a lung operation and after the operation that's when his voice went deeper.  

30/3/2022 1:22 am  #33

jeremyrose wrote:

"Also, so great to hear songs from that rare 1966 Irish television special. Was that ever issued on DVD?"

The 1966 television special, A Little Bit of Irish - filmed entirely on location in and around Dublin - was released on DVD on the Varèse Sarabande label in 2006. You can also see it on YouTube. (It is app. 12 minutes shorter than the DVD release. I haven't watched this version, but I would imagine that the non-Bing items have been edited out...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__6hFHi66s

I forgot to ask, you've not been keeping any state secrets that once my DVD copy of the full, unedited show arrives, a mere tiny slip of a Jeremy won't be on there, chirping his little heart out and backing Bing in one of the kiddie choirs? 

30/3/2022 5:09 am  #34

Archiefit wrote:

Good to hear you can at least still buy a DVD recorder there, I thought the only country that still sold them new was Japan.   I have never used a DVR they are only good for temporary recordings or as long as you pay your monthly fees.  Once you buy a DVD, CD etc. it's yours for life.   Good thing I didn't stream my Sophie Tucker album in 1962 or I wouldn't have it today.   I played that record at one time for my grandmother and she told me she once went to a nightclub, I believe in Atlantic City, and saw Sophie Tucker perform.   I remember my Dad liked seeing her on TV too as we watched her on Ed Sullivan.  So I guess this all influenced me to like her too and what made me want her album when I saw it when I was little.

That's horrible the CD version of 10th Anniv. getting lost.  They're hard enough to find I hope you were able to get another.  You bring up an interesting point.   You say you like "Straight Down The Middle" orch. version.   Well several years ago I noticed that the original version and the so-called orch. added version are exactly the same.  I don't believe that was really a orch. added version I think it was recorded that way to begin with.  I've heard both versions and I can't tell the difference.   Maybe an expert here will be able to tell what if any the difference is between the original and the supposed re-done version.   I don't think it was ever re-orchestrated, I never heard an organ version.

Yes, I far prefer Jolson's later deeper voice as opposed to his '30's and earlier style.   I mainly only own Jolson's '40's recordings both radio and Decca as I don't like his high voice earlier records.   I read he had to have a lung operation and after the operation that's when his voice went deeper.  

I couldn't agree with you more about a DVR subscription service. I just pay my annual UK Television Licence fee and that's fine for me. Then as previously stated, record anything I wish to view at a later date on my DVD and Blu Ray recorders' hard drives - and then burn on to a blank disc anything I should wish to keep. They all also have a very basic editing facility, too. My roof aerial provided "Freeview" service will also do exactly the same with providing most nationally broadcast UK radio channels, as well.

I've just listened to on your lovely "Sounds Like Radio" (Volume. 26), the 8/7/56 episode of the shorter Bing Crosby radio shows and as usual, enjoyed it thoroughly. Thank you again for presenting these wonderful programmes. I am warming ever closer to the intimate interplay of Bing and announcer Ken Carpenter between the music. Lovely gentle banter from a parade that's now sadly well gone by.

Of particular interest on this one was Bing's recording of "In the Good Old Summertime", having only previously been familiar with his final recorded version on the "Seasons" album. Unlike the Seasons version this one quickens pace partway through and is an altogether a more freewheeling affair with Bing adding seeming little jazzy vocal flourishes. Super - and many thanks again for having introduced me to them!

I would have loved to have seen Sophie Tucker live in concert. She seemed a real, wonderfully earthy performer. Can you remember if your grandmother said much about her performance? I could imagine Miss Tucker having such a strong presence. That humorous earthiness reminds me a little of a sometime performing partner of Bing's , Pearl Bailey who appears to great effect with him on that wonderful YouTube provided fiftieth anniversary special. I'd still buy it on a disc, though if it ever became officially available (doubtful, now).

I would however, have given my back teeth to have seen Bing perform live and the same most certainly goes for Al Jolson. Last year I had bought for my birthday, two beautiful, newly released CD box sets of his complete Decca Recordings and another of the same for his Kraft Music Hall Radio shows. Both cover the 1945-50 deeper voiced period and are gorgeously re-mastered with the odd rare extra. Such a shame he died just after agreeing to make his first television special.

Would you believe, I've just this minute managed to order a brand new, still shrink wrapped replacement for the lost Bing “Tenth Anniversary” CD box set. Hooray for Ebay – and costing just over twenty quid (including postage)! It's on there of course that “Straight Down the Middle” features. Thanks for the information on that. It all adds up. Wow – I thought when I originally bought the vinyl version of this set on its release in 1987 that the “added” orchestra sounded very period-authentic and stood out from many of the others – and that's why!!!!!Unhelpfully, despite a nice four page LP size insert inside my vinyl edition, no original recording details are provided anywhere within the set.

According to my recently purchased book of the Wiggins/O'Reilly authored Bing Crosby discography, it was recorded on New Years Eve, 1957 with another song laid down at the same session (“Tomorrow's My Lucky Day”) with … “Buddy Cole & His Orchestra. The book also gives information (where applicable) as to which CD each studio recording of Bing's features. Both these tracks have been included on the double 2010 CD issue of “Bing Crosby – So Rare: Treasures from the Crosby Archive”. How right you were! Not a Ken Barnes or Pete Moore within sight. 

Like you, I much prefer having the security of a “hardcopy” of either an LP, CD or indeed DVD. I've just taken delivery of a Blu-Ray copy of the Bing featured remake of Stagecoach. Worth it for his performance alone and great soundtrack. Shame he couldn't have sung a title song for it – or one on the end credits. Would have been a nice touch, I think.  

You've said you prefer the orchestrally added versions of the Buddy Cole recordings – and now having bought them twice, I also obviously love them. With Bing having recorded the vocals for these in the 'fifties and the orchestras added in the 'seventies and 'eighties, do you have a favourite period of Bing's from the 'twenties to the 'seventies, when he was making his original records? Just curious.  

I've just sent you another Private Message

Kind regards,
Ian.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (30/3/2022 5:17 am)

31/3/2022 12:59 am  #35

Hmm, either you're more advanced recording video wise than I am or Britain has recorders made to record Blu-ray not to mention still making DVD recorders.   Neither of which we have in the good old backward USA.  If there are Blu-ray recorders here I'm unaware of it and I can only wish they still made DVD recorders here, they stopped that some 8 or 9 years ago.  My old troopers are still hanging on though.   I also can not record using "hard drive" in a recorder, the DVD recorder only records on a blank DVD-R or +R disc it doesn't hold information on it's interior hard drive (if it even has one) only on a disc can I store recordings.  
That version of "...In Good Old Summertime" was recorded in 1954 but was a Decca release using a radio recording.   Bing played it on that 1956 radio show.

The only thing I remember of my grandmother's stories of Sophie were that she liked her and interestingly enough she only saw her because she was escaping her 7 kids and life in Philly for a breather.  I don't even think my grandfather went with her, I think she had had it and needed a breather.   Least that's sort of the story I got.  She didn't have a record player so I brought my portable Singer record player that ran on batteries with me to her house.  We used to use it when we went to the beach to hear my 45's.  I definitely remember watching Sophie Tucker perform at least a couple times on the Ed Sullivan show.   She must have impressed a little kid like me for me to still remember it.   She was another of the great entertainers like Jolson and Durante (and Bing, of course).

Before the 10th Anniv. CDs of the Barnes/Bing recordings was sold I liked the stereo versions that Barnes did back in the '70's so much I bought the double album set that came out back then.   When CDs were invented I bought one CD that contained 28 of the Barnes-Bings then later another CD was released that contained 2 CDs in one and had 50 Barnes-Bing songs.   Finally all of the Barnes-Bing songs (72 of them I believe) were released on that 10th Anniv. CD box set.   So that makes 4 different times I've bought mainly the same stuff over again.   I should have just sat on my hands all those years and waited for the 10th Anniv. set.   But that was impossible.

My favorite Bing period is from the early to mid '40's thru the mid to late '50's.  That's prime Bing in my opinon.  I know a lot of people like his older stuff from the '30's even the '20's but to me it can only pass with a push.

05/4/2022 1:23 am  #36

I'm not certain if DVD/Blu-Ray disc/hard drive recorders are still made in the UK (increasingly less of everything has been in the past few decades) but some brand new ones are still marketed and sold over here. I was having a look to see if their digital "Freeview" signal receivers would be compatible with the US TV broadcasting system but it seems that they aren't. I appreciate they're only going to be available over here for a few more years but as I'm finding fewer and fewer programmes of interest to record and archive on to a disc (either a Blu-Ray one or a standard DVD), ultimately I doubt by then that I'll miss them too much.

I also used to listen to Bing and the music of his era with both my Grandmothers and Grandfather for many years. As with many of that wartime generation, they didn't always have it easy and they found great enjoyment from music. They also (along with father) enjoyed Ragtime and the music of Scott Joplin. As of course, do I. Are there any recordings or television appearances of Bing and Sophie Tucker performing together?

You've certainly been busy over the years buying the Bing/Buddy Cole 1950's orchestra embellished radio tracks. I also bought a couple of LPs before the release of the “Tenth Anniversary” set (“Come Rain or Come Shine” and “True Love”) both on the Philips label. My replacement for this (the box set) arrived today. Advertised on Ebay as in “New “, “Mint” condition and still sealed from the day it was manufactured, it arrived woefully packaged in just a polyurethane bag, with a double layer of very thin bubble wrap, unsealed with a torn box lid ,covered with indented marks and two of the CDs finger marked and blemished. I seem fated with trying to obtain a decent set of this. A message has been sent to the seller. Mind you, if that's currently the only thing I have to complain about, as a member of my household commented, "You ain't doingt so bad". Preferring the versions on these releases, I take it you never bothered with the seven CD “Mosaic” boxset?

Yep, I also prefer the 'forties to late 'fifties period of Bing as opposed to his earlier stuff (plus those wonderful final albums he recorded in the mid-seventies). As he aged, nature did what it does to most voices and lowered it, beautifully. I read somewhere that an American music critic (or some such) once said that the Crosby voice of the mid 1940's was one on the most beautiful sounds ever recorded. It's so difficult to try and analyse it (I'd have to be a musicologist, combined with being a vocal specialist to even begin) but it seems to me that his sincere, ease of tone, projected warmth, outstanding sense of rhythm, unforced but strong range and incredibly appealing personality makes him the very best there ever was.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (05/4/2022 1:34 am)

05/4/2022 2:02 am  #37

While I don't do video recording like I used to but that's really because I already have most everything I wanted.  But I still find movies or old TV shows on either cable or over the air on the new digital channels that I still will record.   TCM just showed 2 interesting Japanese movies last night that I was happy to record.  My video recording ain't like it used to be but I still find things worthy.   A new DVD recorder would be always useful for me.  Luckily I'm set for now.   Though this hard drive recorder you speak of I am unfamiliar with as all my recorders have always used DVD-R or +R discs or DVD-Ram discs made only for Panasonic recorders (in the old days that is, no longer, unfortunately).

I was not familiar with either of the Bing albums you named but I looked for them on the web and found them, the pictures tell me I definitely never owned them.   But from reading the contents apparently they were more repeat type issues of the Barnes mixes, fortunately all the songs are found elsewhere.  In fact one of the albums appears to be a French release.

As for Bing, I'm afraid I was the only big fan of Bing in my family.  My grandparents never talked about him and my father claimed he didn't like him.   Though when I would play his songs in the car he always enjoyed them, until I told him "that's Bing!" then he'd get mad.   Afraid my Dad was always pretty contrary, a real joy to live with you can imagine.  Though he did have his few light moments when he'd sing a little bit or talk of Jolson or Sophie or (ugh) Victor Borge.   He had to be in a good mood though.   Though since I played so much Bing back then when I lived with my brother and sisters they also became familiar with him.   One sister liked him the other just got embarrassed when I'd sing with Bing in the car.    One of my funniest memories is playing Bing singing the "Whiffenpoof Song" and me loudly singing with him especially the "BAH BAH BAH" sheep sounds and that one sister was so mortified that she ducked down in the back seat so people wouldn't see her as I encouraged her to sing along.   Oh, it was funny.   I really laughed at her reactions.   Maybe you had to be there but it was a good time.   Sometimes I'll remind her remember when I sang Bah Bah and you tried to hide in the car.  Oh dear, good memories of those sisters when they were little. 

As for your last paragraph here, esp. your last sentence talking about Bing's singing and how you feel about it, all I can say is truer words were never spoken.   I agree with you entirely, well said.

By the way in the latest Volume 94 of Sounds Like Radio one of the songs I feature is Jaye P. Morgan's Longest Walk, something you had wanted to hear.  Also is a neat Bing song.   I think you'll enjoy the show.
   https://anchor.fm/your-humble-host
Thanks for your very interesting comments.  Always appreciated.

08/4/2022 12:59 am  #38

Lobosco wrote:

Archiefit wrote:

Yes, it can be a right battle with these formats. I think you're doing very well, David doing what you do. I'm thinking of investing in yet another DVD machine, one that will play US encrypted Blu-Rays (I'm in the UK).

I made a partial mistake last year and ordered one such disc of The Marx Brothers' final film, "Love Happy". I fully appreciate that could be viewed as a mistake in itself, a work which easily sits alongside the strained comedy likes of, "Atoll.K" (Laurel & Hardy), "A Countess from Hong Kong" (Chaplin), "The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu" (Peter Sellers), "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock"  (Harold Lioyd) and  "Cancel my Reservation" (Bob Hope)... final, lamentable big screen outings for all.

Far more happily, though (play and film wise) is my most recent Blu-Ray purchase "Stagecoach" (1966). Although generally regarded as not the classic of its original, Bing''s final big screen performance was, as we all all know, a triumph. I have fond memories of my late brother and I both being both most amused and moved by Bing's subtlety comedic portrayal of the alcoholic doctor. Apologies, David for now having wandered way away from radioland!

See you at the pictures!

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (09/4/2022 3:47 am)

14/4/2022 11:46 am  #39

jeremyrose wrote:

"Also, so great to hear songs from that rare 1966 Irish television special. Was that ever issued on DVD?"

The 1966 television special, A Little Bit of Irish - filmed entirely on location in and around Dublin - was released on DVD on the Varèse Sarabande label in 2006. You can also see it on YouTube. (It is app. 12 minutes shorter than the DVD release. I haven't watched this version, but I would imagine that the non-Bing items have been edited out...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__6hFHi66s

The "A Little Bit of Irish - Bing Crosby in Dublin" DVD arrived at the weekend and I thought it was a most unique production. I deliberately waited to view the disc first, so initially avoided Jeremy's kindly provided link. Inevitably, it proved a really charming time capsule of the type of music television no longer produced. I would imagine it was still pretty unique even then, with a star of Bing's magnitude presenting so many traditional Irish acts. Even better for it not being studio based and I thought the imaginative, low key opening of Bing just appearing on Dublin's bustling O'Connell high street, most effective.

I can completely understand some reviewer's noted disappointments (although none I've noticed on here, I hasten to add) over Bing appearing in less than half of the numbers but he was present throughout, engagingly introducing all the other acts and it was nice to see Kathryn, too.  For anyone wishing to purchase a copy, just be warned that despite some online listings and even the disc's own cover showing a running time of sixty minutes, the whole programme runs to only approximately forty-nine. Possibly to allow for commercial breaks during its original broadcasts. It's precisely the same edition as the "YouTube" one linked above.

Having now viewed and thoroughly enjoyed this in its entirety, I would imagine due to the musical numbers' excellent performances and  arrangements, the CD edition Archiefit has kindly mentioned and illustrated, could also well stand alone. Over time, my nicely preserved DVD copy will most certainly enjoy some repeated viewings - and all costing (including postage from the states) just over ten British pounds!

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (14/4/2022 1:14 pm)

20/4/2022 8:10 pm  #40

Archiefit wrote:

While I don't do video recording like I used to but that's really because I already have most everything I wanted.  But I still find movies or old TV shows on either cable or over the air on the new digital channels that I still will record.   TCM just showed 2 interesting Japanese movies last night that I was happy to record.  My video recording ain't like it used to be but I still find things worthy.   A new DVD recorder would be always useful for me.  Luckily I'm set for now.   Though this hard drive recorder you speak of I am unfamiliar with as all my recorders have always used DVD-R or +R discs or DVD-Ram discs made only for Panasonic recorders (in the old days that is, no longer, unfortunately).

I was not familiar with either of the Bing albums you named but I looked for them on the web and found them, the pictures tell me I definitely never owned them.   But from reading the contents apparently they were more repeat type issues of the Barnes mixes, fortunately all the songs are found elsewhere.  In fact one of the albums appears to be a French release.

As for Bing, I'm afraid I was the only big fan of Bing in my family.  My grandparents never talked about him and my father claimed he didn't like him.   Though when I would play his songs in the car he always enjoyed them, until I told him "that's Bing!" then he'd get mad.   Afraid my Dad was always pretty contrary, a real joy to live with you can imagine.  Though he did have his few light moments when he'd sing a little bit or talk of Jolson or Sophie or (ugh) Victor Borge.   He had to be in a good mood though.   Though since I played so much Bing back then when I lived with my brother and sisters they also became familiar with him.   One sister liked him the other just got embarrassed when I'd sing with Bing in the car.    One of my funniest memories is playing Bing singing the "Whiffenpoof Song" and me loudly singing with him especially the "BAH BAH BAH" sheep sounds and that one sister was so mortified that she ducked down in the back seat so people wouldn't see her as I encouraged her to sing along.   Oh, it was funny.   I really laughed at her reactions.   Maybe you had to be there but it was a good time.   Sometimes I'll remind her remember when I sang Bah Bah and you tried to hide in the car.  Oh dear, good memories of those sisters when they were little. 

As for your last paragraph here, esp. your last sentence talking about Bing's singing and how you feel about it, all I can say is truer words were never spoken.   I agree with you entirely, well said.

By the way in the latest Volume 94 of Sounds Like Radio one of the songs I feature is Jaye P. Morgan's Longest Walk, something you had wanted to hear.  Also is a neat Bing song.   I think you'll enjoy the show.
Thanks for your very interesting comments.  Always appreciated.

Thank you for your kind words and family reminicences. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, Archiefit. I listened just before the Easter holiday. Thank you for playing JP Morgan's "The Longest Walk". It's the first song of hers I have ever knowingly heard and was very impressed by her strong vocal performance and its arrangement. 
Another new one for me was Bing's "The Girlfriend" you played. Your perfectly judged talk up to it ("Tell us about it, Bing") made me smile. Your show just proves the quantity of Bing's recordings I have not heard before. This particular one was another fabulous solid swinging offering of his (and yours). Dare I ask whose orchestra it was and the year? Thanks again - a really great listen and some of those instrumentals backing your introductions, certainly sounded pleasantly familiar!

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (20/4/2022 8:14 pm)

20/4/2022 11:42 pm  #41

As for talking up to Bing, on my shows everybody lives forever.   I don't talk about singers and such featured as if they're in the past and no longer here, I talk to them and about them as if they were standing next to me getting ready to sing.   I especially enjoy talking up Helen Ward songs as she always takes her time before she starts singing.  There's a Helen Ward song coming in a show soon but I've featured her before in past shows.   "The Girl Friend" was a Rogers & Hart song for a show of the same name back in the '20's.   That's the Tommy Dorsey orchestra you hear backing Bing up in Volume 94 of Sounds Like Radio.   It's here for those who'd like to hear it.

I first became aware of Jaye P. Morgan from seeing her on the Gong Show in the '70's of all places.  She was one of the judges on that sort of talent show.    From there I got to listening for her songs and really like her style of singing and pronouncing words as she does.  Once I knew who she was now I enjoy seeing her in My Three Sons shows (she appeared in 2 episdoes a b/w one and a color one) and she sings in both.  Her style changed radically in the '70's became much looser and her sense of humor really shined then.
Yes, somewhere I heard something about those instrumentals and they went good for backing up my talk.

07/5/2022 6:37 pm  #42

Another "Sounds Like Radio" (Volume 85), thoroughly enjoyed, Archiefit!
The voices of Jolson, Blossom Dearie (always so delicate, the "ying" to Jolson's "yang"), Burl Ives (always so warm) and the sassy sharpness of Dinah Washington, were all very. very pleasurable, indeed. 

The inevitable highlight, though was of course from  Sounds Like Radio's house singer, old Bing himself and his featured song, "The Banjo's Back in Town". Yet another one I was hearing for the first time. It had such a terrific, infectious "rinky-tink" piano and banjo led band backing, just perhaps giving an indirect hint of Bing's earlier jazz times. He really skimmed over that rhythm like a dream. His voice sounds from his late 1950's/early 1960's period? Was this off a particular album of Mr Crosby's - and who was responsible for the infectious orchestration? I really appreciate the lengths you go to to by reaching deep into your archive and not always playing the more obvious records of our man. Congratulations once again! 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (07/5/2022 8:04 pm)

07/5/2022 10:37 pm  #43

So happy to hear you're enjoying the music on Sounds Like Radio.  I do put a lot of thought into what to play on the show and in trying to play songs that have something to do with the plot in the Great Gildersleeve show that's featured (when that's not possible I play some good music I've heard recently or have wanted to play for a while).    As you know there's a different Bing Crosby song in every episode, I really enjoy picking them out.  I do try to feature Bing songs that aren't all that well known or his "greatest hits" type songs.  In fact as I type this I am transferring my latest shows I recorded over to the computer, I can tell you some very nice Bing songs are coming up in each show too, including a 1930's Bing that is a special stereo version of his record.   Also coming is one of my favorite Bing's that I "discovered" not too long ago and when I did I added it to my computer's play list so it would pop up when I'm listening to music.  What usually happens is either I'm listening to a Bing radio show or maybe a Bing CD and I'll hear something unusual that Bing sings that isn't all that well known that strikes me as a real good one.  Those are the songs I keep in mind to include in a Sounds Like Radio show. 

In fact this week I'll be posting a Bing Crosby Show for a new Library of Sound edition.   I hope other folks are enjoying the shows, there's a little bit of all kinds of things to listen to, stories told by great speakers like Boris Karloff, classic radio detective shows, comedy shows, and a couple dramatic shows too.
Happy listening!

21/5/2022 3:04 am  #44

Your enjoyment shines through!

I'm still glowing from just having listened to Vol.18 of the Library of Sound's "Bing Crosby Show" (7/25/56).
A true gem with Bing crooning a lovely laid back "Georgia". His beautifully, twinkling spoken verse in the middle of "Waiting for the Evening Mail" really made me feel a warm nostalgia for our man's unique, rhythmically informed way with words.

Son Lindsay's "I Could Have Danced All Night" (freshly hot off the Broadway presses), once again revealing the young man's light yet authoritative delivery. A definite chip off the old block! 
MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Boris Karloff next!

03/6/2022 3:18 am  #45

NOPE! In fact "Sound Like Radio Volume 100" was actually next on my recent listen-list. It's going to have to be darker outside than it was when I was originally going to listen to Boris Karloff.

You're teaching me on your show, Archiefit that there's so much Bing I'm discovering for the first time.

Although I had heard and indeed own Bing and Rosie's duet of Gershwin's "Summertime" (but was this the later musical embellishments of Ken Barnes in the background, adding to Buddy Cole's trio?), Bing's solo, "When My Dreamboat Comes Home" was new to me, even if it did sounds so instantly familiar. Do you know its year of recording and who's performing the orchestral backing on that one at all? I found it to be a lovely surprise.

A great show as you enter what Bing may have termed your, "Demi-double centennial - that a full C's worth!" Keep on keeping on!!!

03/6/2022 4:46 am  #46

Never fear, the Boris stories I posted on the Library of Sound #97 & #106 are both Rudyard Kipling Just So stories.  Nothing scary, kids might like them too.  You can even listen in the dark.

The Summertime heard in Sounds Like Radio Vol. 100 is not from Ken Barnes, but you're close, it's from the more recently released orchestra added to Bing's Buddy Cole recordings called "The New Recordings" also on this CD are Rosemary Clooney enhanced recordings solo and duets with Bing.   I like this newer orch. added CD more than the Barnes recordings, the stereo is used with much greater effect and the mixing is real sounding.

When My Dreamboat Comes Home also heard in Vol. 100 of Sounds Like Radio is from a 1942 record made with brother Bob Crosby's band backing Bing.  Yes, there was a 2 Bings for the price of 1 in Vol. 100.  I'm glad you appreciate the Bing selections, it takes me a while to figure out which ones to use for each Sounds Like Radio episode.  
Thanks for the really nice comments, I really like hearing from folks who listen.  It's all free and it's right here:   https://anchor.fm/your-humble-host

20/6/2022 12:45 am  #47

Archiefit wrote:

Yes, there was a DVD and several years before that there was a CD release of the audio from the TV special.  That CD is called "A Little Bit of Irish".   As for Longest Walk, if you read the discography closely you see the Buddy Cole recordings come just before his Longest Walk Billy May Decca record.   I had to look carefully at that myself as it's not obvious.

The Sounds Like Radio podcast is located here for those wondering what we're talking about:
As for my singing Bing's theme (something I've done around the house for a long time), it is indeed John Scott Trotter leading the orchestra but this recording is from an album John Scott put out either in the late '50's or possibly the early '60's called "John Scott Trotter's Music Hall".   It featured all different popular songs of the time but it also included a nice new sounding stereo instrumental version of Bing's theme.  That's the instrumental I use to sing to, as it sounds just like the exact arrangement Trotter used when he played it on Bing's radio shows.   Thank you too for the complement, my Mom thinks I sound like Bing but when I listen I know better.  I try though.  When singing my biggest problem is not remembering the words, I'm always amazed at how singers in general and Bing himself could remember the words to all these songs.  I'm sure they must have had cue cards but it seems like it's all memorized.

Yes for that St. Patrick's Day Sounds Like Radio Special that's posted there for now (it's coming down in 2 weeks, as I don't like keeping holiday shows up long past the actual holiday)  the Irish song there that I had the same reaction to the first time I heard it was Bing singing, "My Girl's An Irish Girl".   Up until I first heard that Bing Irish Decca records CD I had never heard that song before and I really liked it as it had a personal meaning to me too.
I really appreciate your feedback and your questions I am always happy to answer.
Here is the J. S. Trotter album and here is the Bing Irish TV show CD:
https://archive.org/services/img/johnscotttrotter00trot/full/pct:300/0/default.jpg

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FbmUAAOSwSyBfiU3w%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

posted by Archiefit

For anyone who enjoys John Scott Trotter's seemingly endless arrangements with Bing on the latter's radio shows, I must highly recommend the above 1959 album, "John Scott Trotter's Music Hall". I've just purchased a near pristine vinyl copy and it is so worthy of  those radio (and 1940's studio) years of Bing - including a number of especially composed musical tributes to the big names also featured as Bing's guests - as well as their own theme tunes of course, including the ones to our man, himself. Copies are not available in profusion (no CD issue, so far) but a number of second hand LPs (mono and stereo issues) are for sale and all sixteen of the album's tracks are currently available to hear (in stereo) on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRt-oSXv0vQ&list=PLFMsAAosCRcv3TtbomIVRl8CQkROLjmQE&index=2

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (20/6/2022 7:26 pm)

20/6/2022 12:58 am  #48

With regard to Sounds Like Radio's, "Library of Sound - Volume 102", who is unnamed female vocalist that can be heard most spiritedly singing with Bing and Woody Herman on "Let's All Meet at My House"? She sounds so familiar but no particular name is forthcoming?

20/6/2022 5:45 am  #49

It's Muriel Lane singing with Bing and Woody.

20/6/2022 7:28 pm  #50

Oh! Thank you, Malcolm. I'll have to look her up. That's a new name to me. 

Board footera