14/10/2011 2:21 pm  #1

October 14th 1977 - 34 years

Just in case anyone needs reminding.

14/10/2011 4:02 pm  #2

Re: October 14th 1977 - 34 years

Playing some special LP's tonight when I get home.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

14/10/2011 4:10 pm  #3

I remember it as if it were yesterday. I was (in of all places) the front luggage bin of an Allegheny Airlines DC-9 at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport in PA loading baggage onto a flight to Boston. A female co-worker named Arlene who knew I was a big music buff came rushing out to the plane and called to me inside the bin. I came to the doorway and looked down at her on the ramp and she yelled the news up to me which had just broken on the local evening TV broadcasts. She had tears in her eyes and for a minute time stood still for me!

Last edited by paulmock (14/10/2011 4:12 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

15/10/2011 12:04 am  #4

I was only three so I did not remember the passing, but as I am older that day is ranked up there as one of the worst days of my life.

They say when Buddy Holly died, it was when the music died. It died on that golf course in Spain on October 14, 1977...

http://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2011/10/day-music-died.html

15/10/2011 4:22 pm  #5

Lobosco wrote:

They say when Buddy Holly died, it was when the music died. It died on that golf course in Spain on October 14, 1977...

http://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2011/10/day-music-died.html

But who can really say music died when we have all those recordings - that stupendous legacy?

As to remembering October 14th 1977, it is all too clear to me. As a family we had attended one of the Palladium concerts only days before. My two teenage daughters were as enthusiastic as I was, and were especially shocked at the news.

18/10/2011 6:47 pm  #6

I was a bit late in letting 'The Chronicle' (Centralia, Washington State) newspaper know that it was Bing's anniversary on Friday 14th. October.
I sent them the photo of Bing and myself on Thursday.
Anyway, the Editor rang me and asked details etc and they published the photo on Saturday.
A couple of people have said to me - 'i Saw your picture in the paper - so at least we received some exposure.
Tacoma is just under 70 miles from Morton and less from Centralia.

18/10/2011 7:31 pm  #7

I remember that I was much more broken up after hearing Bing died than I was when I heard of Elvis's passing that same year.  Elvis had been spiraling down for a long, long time by then, that he was a big deal in Las Vagas did not contradict that impression for me.

Looking back, I realize that I didn't have any of Bing's LPs then.  I enjoyed his movies when they were re-shown on broadcast TV, his appearances in his Christmas specials, hostings of Hollywood Palace, and his narrations in Minute Maid orange juice commercials.  And then I had a few dozen of his 78s, mainly spanning about 1938-1950 or so, that I loved to listen to. A few years later I got two of the three Bing Crosby Collection LPs or songs from the late 20s to mid 30s with great notes and some unreleased takes.

In more recent years when I have listened too his last few albums, I always think that Bing has so much more to give as a musician and actor, making the realization of the loss of him in 1977, all the more powerful.

Board footera