12/10/2021 2:03 am  #26

Re: What non-Bing music have you been listening to recently?

Back in the '70's when I used to go to record conventions and used record stores one of the artists I looked for was Tony Bennett.   I found a lot of Tony Bennett albums there with a lot of great songs on them.  Even his later non Columbia records from the '70's after Columbia let him go even those jazz type Tony & Bill Evans albums were good.   Columbia later realized the folly of their ways and brought Tony back.  BUT I didn't know he got senile, that's too bad.  I think that's the worse way to go out you don't even know what's happening (maybe it's better).

12/10/2021 2:11 am  #27

Archiefit wrote:

Back in the '70's when I used to go to record conventions and used record stores one of the artists I looked for was Tony Bennett.   I found a lot of Tony Bennett albums there with a lot of great songs on them.  Even his later non Columbia records from the '70's after Columbia let him go even those jazz type Tony & Bill Evans albums were good.   Columbia later realized the folly of their ways and brought Tony back.  BUT I didn't know he got senile, that's too bad.  I think that's the worse way to go out you don't even know what's happening (maybe it's better).

Tony was diagnosed when he was 90, so he had a really good life. Poor Rita Hayworth had the disease in her 40s. It's amazing but for 95 Tony can still sing.

The kids are in bed now so I went to my man cave/music room and just listened to Jo Stafford's 1956 album "Once Over Lightly" on the Columbia label. I turned off the lights and just listened to the album and kind of meditated. It's a great album if anyone out there likes Jo Stafford.

12/10/2021 2:24 am  #28

What CD is Once Over Lightly On?

12/10/2021 1:53 pm  #29

Archiefit wrote:

What CD is Once Over Lightly On?

It's not on CD although I am not 100%. I have the LP - which I saved because I love Jo Stafford but I burnt it onto CD.

12/10/2021 2:51 pm  #30

I figured it out last night.  I thought it was a single but then looked for it and found out it was the name of an album.  Actually if I had read your post more carefully you said it was an album.  I found the album on Utube.

15/10/2021 3:09 pm  #31

After to listening to Bing for two days, I figured I would swtich it up to something completely different. 
Listening to Stan Kenton now!

18/10/2021 1:34 pm  #32

I listened to some big band music this weekend - namely Les Brown. I picked up his two cd set Live At The Palladium at Half Price Books for $5.

I think since Les Brown was relegated to being Bob Hope's studio band, I never took the Brown orchestra seriously, especially in the 50s and 60s but they had a nice sound.

Board footera