07/6/2020 2:49 pm  #1

A Trip Down Memory Live

I just posted a 2nd "live" video on my you tube channel. 
This time I take a look at some of my autographs I have gotten through the years.

Let me know what you think...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5E_rY32hTk

09/6/2020 12:39 am  #2

Re: A Trip Down Memory Live

Archiefit wrote:

Just watched your Autograph collection video.   Wow, some great stars there.  I have never gotten an autograph from any famous star except when I was a little kid I sent away for an autographed picture from local cartoon and 3 Stooges host Bill Gormley.   It was a thrill for me then, today, I think I still may have it in a drawer.   But I really liked watching your collection being shown, lot of great stars there, I liked that Julie London & Jo Stafford autograph and the one by Leslie Nielson, a funny guy in his later years, always a serious bad guy or good guy actor in his younger years.  Also the Perry Como autograph were most interesting to me.   And I recognized the talents of your son doing his intro. bit, very good indeed.   Wish I was that tech savvy, seems you have to be under 18 to know anything about that. 

Glad you enjoyed it. I wasn't happy with this second video. I held my phone at a different angle than last time. It's a work in progress.

When I was a teenager I must have written a 100 fan letters to the older stars and many of them sent nice pics. Those were the days!

09/6/2020 6:04 pm  #3

Back in the war years I wrote to a number of movie stars for a photo.
A few photos were postcard size and others perhaps 6x8. Some asked for money or to send money to special funding - guess for War Bonds.
Then, a letter from Bing saying a photo was on the way and a day or two later a 10x8 with cardboard insert to stop bending would arrive.
All these photos would have arrived by sea mail seeing I was in Australia and taken a good number of weeks and ships missing being hit by bombs or torpedos.
Wonder how they traced what mail was lost on a sinking ship? A letter from a wife or girl friend to a serviceman. Probably wouldn’t know at all.

10/6/2020 6:26 pm  #4

David, I enjoyed the video very much! I have a large collection of autographs too. Many I got when I hung out in NYC going to stores and shows. Some I got through the mail. At one time I had about 100 Elton John autographs.I was a huge fan of his back then and use to meet him all the time.I had so much fun back then. My mom would love that Perry Comp autograph! Anyway very nice collection!

Peace and Love! 

11/6/2020 6:57 pm  #5

48blonde wrote:

David, I enjoyed the video very much! I have a large collection of autographs too. Many I got when I hung out in NYC going to stores and shows. Some I got through the mail. At one time I had about 100 Elton John autographs.I was a huge fan of his back then and use to meet him all the time.I had so much fun back then. My mom would love that Perry Comp autograph! Anyway very nice collection!

Wow, you are so lucky to get Elton John's autograph. I did not like how I filmed the video but I'm going to do more in the future! Welcome back too!

14/6/2020 3:27 pm  #6

I just uploaded a new "live" video! Let me know what you think!

This time around I spotlighted my five favorite Bing Crosby CDs...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG_2vJA8k80

15/6/2020 9:40 am  #7

Excellent channel!

15/6/2020 8:10 pm  #8

Archiefit wrote:

Just watched the new video.  Amazing how some of your choices would match mine.  In particular "EP Collection" one that I go back to many times, esp. at Christmas to hear my favorite version of White Christmas.  Also my first Bing CD too, Bing Sings Again, featuring songs I really wanted to get from this CD at the time, I'm Thru With Love and You Are Too Beautiful and one I couldn't get at the time from other CDs I Kiss Your Hand Madame.   On Treasure Island I was told by another collector was one of his favorite's and I traded with him for a copy.   A couple good songs there, but I wouldn't call this my favorite CD as most of the music is from the '30's.   But since that guy valued it so much I still appreciate it just for that.  I would have had to include Holiday In Europe though, but that's just me.   Great job, almost felt like I was looking at my own CDs. 

I forgot about the Holiday In Europe CD. DARN! LOL

I like some Bing from the late 1930s - it depends on the song, but I guess overall we both have good tastes.

Let me know if you have any requests for future shows.

15/6/2020 8:15 pm  #9

John Turner wrote:

Excellent channel!

Thanks. I started out just as my putting some of my rarer recordings in one spot and now it has grown. Let me know if you have any requests.

16/6/2020 6:41 am  #10

David, I especially enjoyed your autograph collection. Several of the artists performed in Australia; not Bing of course. Michael Feinstein is the only one I've seen in concert and I was delighted to see Margaret Whiting sing at the Hofstra conference in New York.

27/6/2020 1:37 pm  #11

I just posted a new video. This time I featured my book collection!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGdtbIIncDY

05/7/2020 6:33 am  #12

Dear David Lobosco,
I watched your "A Trip Down Memory: Book collection" some days ago and think that you are very dedicated fan not only in the society, but also at home.
So, here are all the questions: 
1) What books about Bing and his works can you recomend to read?
2) Did Gary Giddins tell everything in your opinion, or not?
3)What do you think about Kathryn Crosby's books? (I saw, you have one of them)
That's all I want to know now.
Why?
I want to buy some books about Mr. Crosby and can't make a decision quickly, because it will be interesting for me to know something which is really the truth.
May be you can give me some helpfull advice.

11/7/2020 3:21 pm  #13

Sorry I just saw your post Tom, I just made a video of my five favorite Bing books in my opinion:
(Any book on Bing is worth reading once - even the dreadful Gary Crosby book)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEUqIkMf04

12/7/2020 12:57 am  #14

Thanks  a lot, Lobosco!
And yes, I think you're right about even about Gary's book, but it was the most terrible thing that I've ever read. Nobody can say what could be worse than it.
But now I think, I'd better watch your video, than talk about this printed catastrophe.
Thanks again, Lobosco. 

14/7/2020 9:34 pm  #15

David, Love your choices! Anyone know where I can find a copy of Day by Day and the Hofstra book? Carmela

15/7/2020 6:25 am  #16

Carmela. see https://www.amazon.com/Going-My-Way-American-Culture/dp/1580462618/ref=sr_1_1/002-6495412-3168043?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185813993&sr=8-1 for the Hofstra book.

Day by Day (updated) is on the BING magazine web site.

15/7/2020 8:57 pm  #17

Malcolm,Thanks! Day by Day, I rather have the book than look online. Carmela

15/7/2020 11:24 pm  #18

Blonde56 wrote:

David, Love your choices! Anyone know where I can find a copy of Day by Day and the Hofstra book? Carmela

I think both books are hard to find. I've seen them on Ebay.

I don't have the Hofstra book though. Is it worth getting?

15/7/2020 11:50 pm  #19

Lobosco wrote:

Blonde56 wrote:

I think both books are hard to find. I've seen them on Ebay.

I don't have the Hofstra book though. Is it worth getting?

In my view, Yes

18/7/2020 10:12 pm  #20

I don't want to get PayPal again. I think the days of using checks and money orders on eBay are long gone.I guess I am out of luck. Anyone have extra copies of either book that they would be willing to sell? I think Amazon will let you use checks as payment. You have to give them your checking account info. I'm afraid to do that.

18/7/2020 11:44 pm  #21

Unfortunately, not many places even take checks. I know Amazon doesn't anymore. I only write a check maybe five times a year. I do everything with credit card. Some stores in Pittsburgh are having a shortage of coins so they are requesting credit cards.

Board footera