17/5/2020 4:45 am  #1

New Episodes Now Posted for Sounds Like Radio Podcast Shows!

Hyeellloooo (that's my Gildersleeve imitation) All,
Good news I have now posted 6 more episodes of my Sounds Like Radio program with really neat music including Bing making occasional appearances and of course The Great Gildersleeve.    I even get a special guest dropping in on Episode 14, Grandpa drops by and does his thing.   You won't want to miss it.   So this makes 17 episodes now posted.   I really hope you'll try out a few episodes at least.   The show sort of grows on you the more you listen.   Like Pete Moss, I suppose.    Here's where to go and it's always all free all the time:

https://soundslikeradio.podomatic.com/

I hope you all will enjoy the new shows.   And if you have any request as far as music goes, please feel free to ask.   I specialize in old and rarely heard music in my shows but I have all kinds.   If I have your request in my vast library of sound I'll include it in a future podcast. 
So Enjoy & Thanks For Listening,
Lee

Last edited by Archiefit (17/5/2020 4:48 am)

18/5/2020 7:41 am  #2

Re: New Episodes Now Posted for Sounds Like Radio Podcast Shows!

It is really interesting to listen, thanks for posting the link. 
The only thing I wanted  to ask you not only about radio, but it's connected with it, anyway.
Can you help me with lyrics to some Bing's songs, for example to "The roving kind" and script to "Buttons and Bows" (parody recorded as part to The Bob Hope Show by Bob, Bing and Doris Day in 1948 (12/7/1948))? I'm really interested in finding or making it, because it is someway commected with my work. 

18/5/2020 11:13 pm  #3

Thanks for listening.   I'm not too sure of your question, but as for the "roving kind" don't know which song you're hearing this in, but in general the term refers to a guy who likes going from girl to girl, the opposite of being loyal.   But depending on what song you're speaking of it could just mean he's roving around, moving about.   Context is everything.   It's been a long time, probably 20 years, since I've heard that 12/7/48 Bob Hope Show, I have it on one of my cassettes but I'd have to dig it out to hear it again.

19/5/2020 12:32 am  #4

I understand what are you talking about.
I nead a text to "The Roving Kind" and "Buttons and Bows"(parody), but didn't find none of them. That is the reason, why I asked of help.
"The Roving Kind" is a song by Bing Crosby, recorded in 1951, but all the texts I find by the name of the song were not similar with Crosby's, so he changed the original text and new one is quite hard to find.
https://youtu.be/1CORq879LfA
The same story is about "Buttons and Bows" the original is everywhere and the new one isn't. ( I find only one phrase: "Good evening, I'm Herr von Crosbine." "The Crosbine I believe, but vere de hair?")
https://youtu.be/DyturlPpyic
IIf you will help me, it will be nice. Maybe, if it will not be too hard to you, you'll right the text to second one?
 Why can't I?
I can't understand some words because of off-screen laugh and changing the forms of words what is normal for foreigners.

19/5/2020 1:18 am  #5

Well, to me this is all self-explanatory, but maybe this is a generations thing, if you're a young person I can see how you might not get the references.  Thanks for providing the 2 links to the songs you have questions about.   I listened to both (as I hope all are listening to my podcast, just a brief ad getting back to my original purpose in the first post here)  but in this song  "roving kind" means just as I said above only in the case of this song it's the girl who's the roving kind, not the guy, in other words the girl gets around.  Or do I need to explain further?   

In the second case, this is the self-explanatory part, Bing introducing himself with that VonCrosbine name is part of Bob & Bing's sketch, they're both using vaudeville influenced German accents.   There was a 2 man team in vaudeville known as Weber & Fields, they were a Dutch act and employed funny German style accents much like Bing & Bob were using in this show.   I have heard Al Jolson refer to Weber & Fields and have even seen a movie short with Weber & Fields, they were funny looking too, looked sort of like bums.  So this is what Bing & Bob are doing here while singing Buttons & Bows.   If you really want to learn of this style of humor used by Weber & Fields and others before them (going back to 1840) I refer you to this scholarly writing, it will explain in depth what I've talked about here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=ObeD10YDRU0C&pg=PA233#v=onepage&q&f=false

If anyone has actually listened to my podcast, I really would appreciate knowing.   One thing about podcasts, I have no idea if anyone out there is listening.

19/5/2020 1:23 am  #6

Your podcasts are really interesting and I never listening to something like that! Thanks for your work!
Also thanks for the information you gave to me.

19/5/2020 1:30 am  #7

Thank you very much for the kind words and feedback.  I usually try to play songs that relate to the plot of the Gildersleeve story, or if I just have a song that I really like or recently discovered I will share it with everyone even if it has nothing to do with the Gildy plot.   I can tell you I really enjoy doing these shows as I have wanted to be in radio since I was 10 years old and for years recorded shows on cassette and before that reel to reel.   Though I do seem to spend 4 times as much time moving these shows on to the computer and then posting them on the podcast.  It's a long and tedious (but to me still enjoyable) process, literaly hours and hours.  But recording the shows is the fun part for me.   I need an engineer,to handle the tech stuff, but I'm stuck with me.  I work cheap.

Last edited by Archiefit (19/5/2020 1:36 am)

19/5/2020 3:27 pm  #8

Hi Lee

I had a listen to one of the episodes this morning. Well done..! I have to admit that “The Great Gildersleeve” didn’t mean much to this particular Brit, so I had to Google it, but the whole thing was very entertaining - expertly put together and, of course, great music. Congratulations!

20/5/2020 12:42 am  #9

Thank you Jeremyrose for giving my show a chance even though you weren't familiar with Great Gildersleeve.   Of all old time radio comedies, I think this one was the most well written of them.   Plus it was the 1st sitcom on radio.   It was also one of the first spin-off shows as the character of Gildy was 1st heard as a regular on Fibber McGee & Molly.  But Fibber was more a joke after joke show (and personally speaking the jokes were painful), one person after another entering thru a door doing their funny bit and leaving.   Gildersleeve show turned the idea of Gildy into a real character living in a town with neighbors and friends and a job he went to.   The show really does grow on you the more you listen.   I hope you'll come back and listen to more Sounds Like Radio shows.  

I put a lot of thought into the music that I include on the show.   It's all meant for people to either discover a song for the first time or hear something they haven't heard in a long time.   My background music is also selected from a wide library of great instrumentals and TV & Movie soundtracks.    For anyone who considers themselves an aficionado of background music it's my hope they'll recognize the background music and say, "OH that's where I've heard that!"  

If you ever have a question on the music just ask and I thank you again for listening, it really makes me feel good to get feedback esp. coming all the way from England.  I'm impressed.

26/5/2020 7:19 pm  #10

Archiefit, you do have a gift. I love the music you play and you have a voice to be a DJ. I'm just not a fan of the Great Gildersleeve, but I love listening to your intro and music you play!

27/5/2020 3:13 am  #11

Thanks David.  I usually will try to get the music to sort of match the theme of the Gildy storyline.   Otherwise it's music I like and want to share with everyone.  I was going thru the shows myself and discovered I actually do have Bing on most of the shows, a couple exceptions, but for the most part Bing's usually included. 
I'm glad you liked the music and my efforts but sorry to hear you didn't like Gildy, I first discovered him back in the 1970's and used to tape him when our local radio station played him.   I think you'll find the show will sort of grow on you.   Also one thing about Gildy, he often will try to sing like Bing in Bing's style.  In the early years of the show Gildy would actually say he thought he sung like Bing and there would be Kraft promos for Bing's Music Hall show.   Ken Carpenter is even the announcer on Gildersleeve too, so it's Bing centric to me.  But when Bing went to ABC Gildy would still try to sing like Bing but wouldn't talk so much about it.  I think Harold Peary actually thought he could sing like Bing!  

Well, you could just listen to my intro and music and then skip 29 minutes and hear my outro with more music.  There's a thought, least till you get used to Gildy.

Last edited by Archiefit (27/5/2020 3:16 am)

30/5/2020 12:21 am  #12

The more I listen to your Podcasts, the more I like The Great Gildersleeves. You may be converting me! How do you record your shows? Do you have a mic on your computer?

I did five shows for my You Tube channel, but I recorded them on audio cassettes, transferred them to CD, and then convert them to my computer.

30/5/2020 5:23 am  #13

Thank you very much Mr. L (sort of like Bing & Perry being called Mr. C).  I know when I first started to listen to Gildy I had to get a bit used to the characters in the show but after a couple episodes I really started to get into it.   I used to listen to a LOT of old time radio, but Gildy is one of the few shows I still love to listen to. 

I really really appreciate any feedback.  Because I have no idea whether folks are tuning in or not or how much they're listening.   So I really like hearing from you and others if they'd care to.   Today I actually recorded 6 more shows with a lot of Bing included too to add to the podcast.   As for the technical side, such as it is, that part is very time consuming.  But I love it so the hours really do fly by.   It is now 1:18 am and I started recording this afternoon at 5:30, I still have 2 more shows to put into Mp3 format and tomorrow I hope to be adding all 6 new Episodes onto the podcast.    

When you say you did shows on tape, were you recording your voice or the music alone?   There's a difference in how I'd do that.  If it was just music I'd use the computer.

As to how, I did try to record using the computer but it was near impossible to do a show like mine where I feature music playing in the background as I have to hear the mix as I talk.  Using the computer you could only add music behind your voice AFTER you recorded your voice.  Ridiculous.  So I could never sing along or know what is playing as I talked and that just wouldn't do.  I was able to record my voice just fine on the computer but then adding background music was all a complicated guessing game as to the sound and what was playing as I talked.  So I scrapped the computer for recording the type shows I do.  

I went back to the system I have used for 45 years, I record on a cassette deck using a mixer for my voice and the added music which I do all live as I record.   Really all my shows are done live, I'm "winging it" as I talk.  I do think about what music to add before recording but once the record button hits it's live and I have to have the music ready to go. 

Then comes the tedious part of turning those tapes into Mp3 files on the computer.  I fix up the sound a bit and tighten up the show.   So it does take a lot of time, but it flies by, I really do love doing this. 

Last edited by Archiefit (30/5/2020 5:27 am)

30/5/2020 8:42 pm  #14

Archiefit wrote:

Thank you very much Mr. L (sort of like Bing & Perry being called Mr. C).  I know when I first started to listen to Gildy I had to get a bit used to the characters in the show but after a couple episodes I really started to get into it.   I used to listen to a LOT of old time radio, but Gildy is one of the few shows I still love to listen to. 

I really really appreciate any feedback.  Because I have no idea whether folks are tuning in or not or how much they're listening.   So I really like hearing from you and others if they'd care to.   Today I actually recorded 6 more shows with a lot of Bing included too to add to the podcast.   As for the technical side, such as it is, that part is very time consuming.  But I love it so the hours really do fly by.   It is now 1:18 am and I started recording this afternoon at 5:30, I still have 2 more shows to put into Mp3 format and tomorrow I hope to be adding all 6 new Episodes onto the podcast.    

When you say you did shows on tape, were you recording your voice or the music alone?   There's a difference in how I'd do that.  If it was just music I'd use the computer.

As to how, I did try to record using the computer but it was near impossible to do a show like mine where I feature music playing in the background as I have to hear the mix as I talk.  Using the computer you could only add music behind your voice AFTER you recorded your voice.  Ridiculous.  So I could never sing along or know what is playing as I talked and that just wouldn't do.  I was able to record my voice just fine on the computer but then adding background music was all a complicated guessing game as to the sound and what was playing as I talked.  So I scrapped the computer for recording the type shows I do.  

I went back to the system I have used for 45 years, I record on a cassette deck using a mixer for my voice and the added music which I do all live as I record.   Really all my shows are done live, I'm "winging it" as I talk.  I do think about what music to add before recording but once the record button hits it's live and I have to have the music ready to go. 

Then comes the tedious part of turning those tapes into Mp3 files on the computer.  I fix up the sound a bit and tighten up the show.   So it does take a lot of time, but it flies by, I really do love doing this. 

My set up is pretty much the same as yours. I have a mixer and I put the shows I did - with my voice and music on a cassette tape. Then I transferred the cassette tape to CD. Then I went to the computer and transfers it to mp3. I only did 5 of them, but I may try it again.

Love your shows though!

30/5/2020 8:43 pm  #15

My 10 year old son just helped me do this video live. I am showcasing some of my CDs...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5ap28UVuo

31/5/2020 1:38 am  #16

I wish I had a young kid around here.  They know everything about computers and uploads and all that stuff.  I'm just a trial and error guy.

I did want to tell you on how to make it easier on yourself, instead of transferring to CD (which is what I used to do too) you can use this great little device, it's like a Walkman of the old days but it plugs into your computer and converts your cassette tape to Mp3 as you play it into the computer.   Here's one that's like the kind I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Reshow-Cassette-Player-Compatible-Computers/dp/B018WBUJBS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wikoo+usb+cassette+capture&qid=1590889228&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Last edited by Archiefit (31/5/2020 1:42 am)

Board footera