25/2/2019 4:00 pm  #1

LILLIS, LOVE AND A LITTLE COVERED WAGON

I very happily just picked up a copy of "Lillis, Love & A Little Covered Wagon" on Ebay! I've been looking for a copy for a little while and I was both a bit stunned to see it come up for listing on Ebay, and that I would up being the high bidder! (I had a hard stop and was sure I would be outbid!)

It just came in Saturday, so I have not had an opportunity to listen to more than a handful of tracks but already have found enough to justify my purchase!

Crosby's "One For My Baby" particularly is a standout and a puzzlement why this wasn't on his "Sinatra" album!

25/2/2019 4:55 pm  #2

Re: LILLIS, LOVE AND A LITTLE COVERED WAGON

Ron1972 wrote:

I very happily just picked up a copy of "Lillis, Love & A Little Covered Wagon" on Ebay! I've been looking for a copy for a little while and I was both a bit stunned to see it come up for listing on Ebay, and that I would up being the high bidder! (I had a hard stop and was sure I would be outbid!)

It just came in Saturday, so I have not had an opportunity to listen to more than a handful of tracks but already have found enough to justify my purchase!

Crosby's "One For My Baby" particularly is a standout and a puzzlement why this wasn't on his "Sinatra" album!

I love that issue. It features a lot of great vocals Bing did in the 60s.

Also just got off Ebay, Harry Lillis On Stage. It is another one in that series and the only one I was missing.

25/2/2019 7:17 pm  #3

I think the seller has multiple volumes.. I wonder if we bought from the same seller... 

25/2/2019 9:03 pm  #4

Ron1972 wrote:

I think the seller has multiple volumes.. I wonder if we bought from the same seller... 

When I get home I'll check on the seller. He also had a ton of Redmond Nostalgia issues for sale.

26/2/2019 8:19 pm  #5

Well I've had more of an opportunity to listen and so far I'm very impressed. I think you could have probably assembled a very solid album or 2 from the tracks that I assume came from the Longines collection. 

I think if those tracks had been released as independent albums, those albums would have been stronger than "Thoroughly Modern Bing" or "Hey Jude/Hey Bing". 

Makes me cry for some missed opportunities, instead of sing-a-long albums in the early 60's, Bing could have done a series of duet albums "Bing & Satchmo", "From C to Shore - with Dinah & Bing", "Dino & Der Bingle", and finished the 60's with some albums of some great standards, and maybe even the female follow up of "Songs I Wish I Had Sung". 

Oh well, if only!

27/2/2019 2:00 pm  #6

Ron1972 wrote:

Well I've had more of an opportunity to listen and so far I'm very impressed. I think you could have probably assembled a very solid album or 2 from the tracks that I assume came from the Longines collection. 

I think if those tracks had been released as independent albums, those albums would have been stronger than "Thoroughly Modern Bing" or "Hey Jude/Hey Bing". 

Makes me cry for some missed opportunities, instead of sing-a-long albums in the early 60's, Bing could have done a series of duet albums "Bing & Satchmo", "From C to Shore - with Dinah & Bing", "Dino & Der Bingle", and finished the 60's with some albums of some great standards, and maybe even the female follow up of "Songs I Wish I Had Sung". 

Oh well, if only!

I was thinking that as well. Even with the over 2000 recordings Bing made, it just isn't enough!

28/2/2019 8:57 am  #7

I seem to remember that Bing said - or maybe on the jacket of the songs of the blokes, that he should do one relating to the females.

28/12/2019 7:40 am  #8

I have the Longines 1965 version on LP I'm still trying to find the CD as I can't port over my records to computer well, and the CD should be in better sound quality.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

27/4/2021 10:56 pm  #9

I have gotten my hands on this CD, along with the On Stage CD, thanks to a forum member here, and from what I’ve heard from both so far I like very much.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

Board footera