28/9/2018 8:46 am  #1

Bing on UK TV

Just spotted a couple of programmes on UK TV later today...

8.00pm BBC4. Gregory Porter’s Popular Voices. “The soul and jazz performer explores the soft, intimate art of crooning”. (No specific mention of Bing in the listing, but if a programme about crooning fails to include Mr Crosby, I’ll send my TV Licence back..!)

6.00pm Sky Arts. Discovering: Bing Crosby.

28/9/2018 11:58 am  #2

Re: Bing on UK TV

The Gregory Porter show was aired last November. This is what BING magazine had to say. 
"The publicity stated: “Born with the arrival of the microphone in the 1930s, crooning was initially about men seducing women and thrived through signature stars such as Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. However, far from disappearing with the advent of rock ‘n’ roll, the art of crooning gained a new existential edge and was transformed by the likes of Roy Orbison, David Bowie and even Lana Del Rey into a haunting and abiding strain of contemporary pop. Contributors include Iggy Pop, Joshua Homme, George Benson and Beck.”
The programme opened with a clip of our man greeting David Bowie at the front door in his 1977 TV special. Bing was prominently featured for the next 15 minutes and film extracts from Blue of the Night and Swingtime with the Stars were used as Porter discussed Bing’s vocal prowess. We even saw an extract from the 1932 cartoon Crosby, Columbo and Vallee. The Crosby version of “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime” was played to illustrate the harsh times of the Depression. A brief interview with Mary Crosby gave Mary the chance to point out that her Dad was one of only four singers to sell one billion units — the others being Elvis, The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Porter said that Bing set the standards for other to follow and he then moved on to look at Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra and others finishing with David Bowie which led into…the Bing ‘n’ Bowie’ duet!"

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (28/9/2018 11:58 am)

28/9/2018 7:09 pm  #3

Thanks Malcolm.

Sorry, I didn’t realise it was a repeat. I was working in Germany last November...

In any case, tonight’s episode has been replaced by a documentary about Chas’n’Dave.

(I’m afraid non-UK readers will have to Google Chas’n’Dave..!)

03/10/2018 7:49 am  #4

I'm envious that I wasn't able to see it 'Down under'

Board footera