10/12/2017 6:08 pm  #1

Bing Crosby Meets

On December 23, Radio 4 Extra are repeating a programme from December 2001 in which Ken Barnes explored how a beloved singer became king of radio, hosting over 4000 broadcasts on American networks. Bert Bishop reviewed the programme in BING #130 (Spring 2002) and said: "When radio was king . . . and when Bing was King of Radio. This sobriquet from Radio 4's Archive Hour edition "Bing Crosby Meets . . ." was bestowed by Ken Barnes who, with Gary Giddins, presented the best programme I've ever heard on the Crosby years of the pre-tv era. It's a remarkable revelation that, at his peak, Bing's audience was no less than fifty million listeners, representing one in four Americans tuning in to his weekly show for Kraft. Surely, this will remain an all-time, unbeatable record. The sixty minute programme covered just about every aspect of those great days of wireless entertainment from the Cocoanut Grove through to his final years with Rosemary Clooney and Buddy Cole in the mid-1950s."

15/12/2017 3:14 am  #2

Re: Bing Crosby Meets

That would be an interesting program but I fear I'll be unable to tune in to it.

23/12/2017 7:10 am  #3

Don't forget. It's on today. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jvgph

23/12/2017 10:13 am  #4

Most enjoyable here on Aust at 8.30pm Saturday night.
Merry Christmas all.
About a 100 today and tomorrow in the 'old money'cb

23/12/2017 12:01 pm  #5

If any subscriber to this forum cannot access the programme and wishes to hear it they should contact me via the private message facility 
(Once you have logged in, click on my name and select "Send Private Message".

23/12/2017 10:27 pm  #6

A great programme, full of interesting comment. Hope you all managed to catch it...

23/12/2017 11:56 pm  #7

Posting here as most recent topic page.
No Bing at all on TV at Christmas in NSW.

31/12/2017 10:46 am  #8

Thanks very much for bringing attention to this programme, Malcolm. I seem to have missed it 'the first time around'. I will listen to it in due course.

31/12/2017 2:28 pm  #9

Just listened to this yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly!

07/1/2018 4:36 am  #10

That was a beaut program. Loved it. What a talent Bing was on radio.

Board footera