14/10/2017 2:05 am  #1

Once In A While

On this 40th anniversary of Bing Crosby's passing, I am trying to remember Bing's life more than his death. I was only three when Bing died - but his death marked the end of an era for popular music. One song I have been listening to this past week is his rendition of "Once In A While" from his last recording session on October 11, 1977 - only three days before he died. Although this marked the end, listen to the recording and it was still so full of life. Bing Crosby will always be missed. He has been gone for 40 years, but his gifts he gave to the world still linger on.

19/10/2017 3:41 am  #2

Re: Once In A While

Thanks Lobosco for reminding me of how well Bing sang that song and how good the accompaniment was.

19/10/2017 3:48 am  #3

Nice clip Lobosco.
Interesting how Bing is holding the baseball bat.

19/3/2022 6:53 am  #4

Yes, along with such hindsight only farewell performances as John Wayne in his final film, "The Shootist" (released the year before this recording) and Sinatra's last studio vocal solo to be released, 1993's "One For My Baby (and One More for the Road)", it does not get any more poignant than this. Bing sings so intimately with such understated intensity and resignation over the end of the song's affair that when I close my eyes, I almost feel inside that BBC Maida Vale studio with him, Alan Dell and all those subtly attuned musicians. Beautiful! John Mumm sensitively writes about the session and song recordings in this spring's freshly published "Bing" magazine from The International Club Crosby. Thank you David for such a lovely reminder of Bing's touching, final track. 

Board footera