03/8/2016 6:54 am  #1

"JONZO" "The Chronological Bing Crosby" series

It is with considerable regret that I have to relay the news that John McNicholas, the proprietor of JONZO, is no longer able to supply the "The Chronological Bing Crosby" series of CDs.

The production was a masterpiece that all dedicated fans should own or aspire to own, and regrettably some might now be unable to achieve that.

John devoted many years to the project and, starting with LP, switching to CD, he achieved nearly complete coverage of Bing's studio recordings from the very beginning up to 1950. A long series of 51 CDs very well mastered and superbly produced. Those items not covered were few and only discovered subsequently.

Those of us fortunate enough to have the collection will forever owe a debt of gratitude to John, one of the towering heroes of the Bing Crosby community. 

03/8/2016 8:36 am  #2

Re: "JONZO" "The Chronological Bing Crosby" series

Sad news indeed...

As I've said elsewhere on more than one occasion, collecting the "Jonzo"series - from buying the first LPs from the much-missed James Asman Record Store in London's Covent Garden to eagerly awaiting the CDs, despatched two-at-a-time at regular intervals, from John himself - has been one of the absolute highlights of my years as a Crosby collector. I can only echo Richard's sentiments that we owe John a huge debt of gratitude.

09/8/2016 6:57 am  #3

I have received a couple of private communications asking about alternative supplies.

I am afraid that all I can suggest is to search on eBay, both UK and US, where some copies are on offer on a "buy it now" basis. They are new and sealed. Substantial chunks of the series are currently listed, but not the whole run.

09/8/2016 4:22 pm  #4

Richard, I heard this from Wig the other day. Some very sad news for Crosby fans. I myself have been buying the Jonzo series from Wig, and I am only halfway through it, so unfortunately I'll have to start hunting online for the many volumes that I still don't have... An absolutely fantastic, thorough series, a prime example of its kind!

AGF

09/8/2016 8:52 pm  #5

This is very unfortunate to read, as the "Chronological" series is essential to any Bing fan. What a massive undertaking by John and all the other contributors to the series, but well worth it. I'll cherish the series that much more now.

Zane Johnson

27/8/2016 6:57 am  #6

I probably learned of the Jonzo series from David Currington many years ago and now have the complete series which I replay sequentially from time to time. Not only are the recordings a revelation but the liner notes are so informative I often refer to them for more information about the songs, etc.

13/3/2017 10:01 am  #7

A friend of mine is looking for Jonzos 50 and 51. Let me know if you can help.

Board footera