03/12/2014 3:47 pm  #26

Re: A Colossal Crosby Celebration

A nice read. Kathryn mentions the Crosby golf tournament in May. I thought that had stopped too. Wasn't  it  held in North (or South) Carolina.

03/12/2014 3:52 pm  #27

In the show it was good to see Ken Barnes as well after seeing Ken in Leeds. Also Tony Bennett.

03/12/2014 4:33 pm  #28

I moved my post about the "Rediscovered" documentary to this new thread started by Anton G-F:

http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=3515#p3515

It looks like a good place to post longer reviews/comments about it, or to post links to any reviews of it we might find elsewhere on the web.

Last edited by Steve Fay (03/12/2014 11:44 pm)

04/12/2014 2:44 am  #29

Sigh - in Pittsburgh our PBS station (WQED) has decided not to air the documentary until December 10th.

04/12/2014 4:26 pm  #30

Lobosco wrote:

Sigh - in Pittsburgh our PBS station (WQED) has decided not to air the documentary until December 10th.

Too bad, David.  There was a Crosby connected show a few years ago that our local PBS station didn't carry.  They would have had to pay extra for it. It wasn't part of the programming they automatically got with their level of membership in the PBS network at the time.  At least the 10th isn't that many days from now.  Looking forward to hearing your response to it when you see it!

04/12/2014 4:55 pm  #31

In the thread only about the documentary (remember, this one is also about DVDs and CDs), I posted a link to Scott Simon's interview last Saturday of Kathryn and Mary Crosby.

05/12/2014 5:48 am  #32

If you buy the dvd[Rediscovered] there are some bonuses but not on the dvd that comes with The Silver Screen Collection. David you live in Pittsburgh? I'm a big fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I don't have many cable channels and can't always watch them. When they are shown on the basic channels I watch them. Of course here in NY they have to show the Jets and the Giants all the time. The Giants are my second favorite but this year it's torture to watch them.

Peace and Love! 

08/12/2014 4:21 am  #33

Thanks For Sharing, Richard.I've Always Admired Kathryn. She's Always Highly Of Bing And Has Done So Much To keep Him Remembered. Nice interview.

05/1/2015 4:57 pm  #34

I have now been able to listen with a reasonable level of attention to three of the recent issues from HLC/Universal Music.

"Songs I Wish I Had Sung" and "Some Fine Old Chestnuts" are as we knew half reissues form the LPs and half bonus material. I welcome the reissues unreservedly. They are musically and sonically first class.
The bonus material is mainly from radio broadcasts or rehearsals for broadcast. All very entertaining and illuminating, but I have reservations about prolonged sequences of "studio business" on "Some Fine Old Chestnuts". Sometimes this sort of background is illuminating and gives some idea of the development of aspects of recording, performance and accompaniment etc, particularly to those who have an interest in such matters. Here I do not think it adds anything to our knowledge, particularly as much of what is said is inaudible. It makes the music (which is what after all we are buying the disc for), less capable of repetition. If we had heard Bing discussing something such as aspects of timing with the conductor that might have been interesting. This is not.

I had great hopes of The Irving Berlin Songbook. What could possibly go wrong?  Delightful songs, very nicely sung by Bing. But what has gone wrong with the recording? Much of the disc is recorded at a low level. Then tracks 19 "Puttin' on the Ritz" and 22 "White Christmas" are over recorded to the point of distortion. I have less profound reservations about some other tracks. Overral, sonically a big disappointment. Musically we have a delightful set of songs but I am sorry to say it is badly let down by the engineering. 

The producers have done far better than this with other issues. I hope this is but a blip.

I am not alone.There has been other, less public comment.

05/1/2015 9:59 pm  #35

Hi Richard,

My copy of the Irving Berlin album has not yet arrived from the States, so cannot compare….however, regarding the studio chatter you mentioned on the other releases...this may help...I put most of my music onto my Ipod. As well as being convenient to take around, there is also the capability via Itunes to reduce the lengths of individual tracks.

Open Itunes, Import the CD  and thereafter right click on the  designated track - select "Get Info" then choose "Options". This allows you to select the start and finish time of any track therefore allowing you to remove the studio gumpf.

You just need to listen to each track to find an appropriate alternative start and finish time.

You can then either transfer this to an Ipod (if available) or even burn to a disc.

I appreciate that it is not as convenient as just sticking on the CD you have bought and playing it, however the bonus material from the two releases makes up a good 50min plus disc. Having heard the original albums many times over the years, I am more than happy to listen to the "new" material on their own, and without the studio noise they are very listenable....even repeatedly.

Last edited by Kevin (06/1/2015 7:58 pm)

Board footera