20/10/2013 2:53 pm  #1

Bing Slide Show

Lots of pics of Bing cropped up on the internet here 

http://songbook1.wordpress.com/pp/ga/photo-galleries/bing-crosby-gallery-1926-1950s/

The same site has a number of other pages of interest, for example about "The King Of Jazz"
here, with video clips -
http://songbook1.wordpress.com/pp/fx/king-of-jazz-1930/

21/10/2013 12:57 am  #2

Re: Bing Slide Show

Thanks Richard! I always thought Bing was a handsome man. I can't get past the beautiful blue eyes to notice his ears. At least Bing had 2 the same ears. Sinatra had 2 different ones. But who cares what ears look like. They had everything else!

Peace and Love! 

21/10/2013 6:59 am  #3

48blonde wrote:

Thanks Richard! I always thought Bing was a handsome man. I can't get past the beautiful blue eyes to notice his ears. At least Bing had 2 the same ears. Sinatra had 2 different ones. But who cares what ears look like. They had everything else!

??? Sinatra had four ears? I fear Carmela,  that you need to elucidate.  My understanding was that Bing was forced to change his appearance early on, by having his ears glued back, but was able to resist continuation of this after awhile when the glue come unstuck under the heat of studio lights. Or do you refer to something else - and where does Frank come in? 

21/10/2013 11:15 am  #4

Frank Sinatra had one ear that was damaged during birth. If you look at his ears you can see they are different and that one looks like an injury. As far as Bing goes, Whether his ears were stuck in or stuck out didn't matter. He was still handsome in my book. Sorry for the confusing you. I know we New Yorkers/Brooklynites are sometimes hard to understand. I wish we spoke English like you people in England.

Peace and Love! 

21/10/2013 1:18 pm  #5

I just prick up my ears to lsten to the mellow mellifluous musical tones Bing and Frank produced. Don't need to examine their ears, let alone compare them!

Lots of different accents in the British Isles, Carmela, changing rapidly over a few miles in some places, and some of which you'd have real difficulty understanding!  Even within Britain some of the accents are mutually incomprehensible when combined with local idiomatic usage. I arrived from South Africa in 1951 with a broad accent and ultimately went to school in the county of Dorset where they had a pronounced rural dialect. They had difficulty understanding me and I them.  

21/10/2013 5:10 pm  #6

Regarding this discussion of accents, I must say that, as a professor of Spanish, I always find it funny when my students point out that the Spanish accent from Spain is the good one, while the accent from Latin America isn't. First of all, there is more than one accent in Spain, and of course, there are many different ones within Latin America. The same goes for English: the language spoken in the British Isles presents very different accents, which vary quite a bit, and these are different from the accents in other parts of the English-speaking world. But each accent is not better or worse (maybe easier or harder to understand) but it is rather a different variety within the broader term that is the English language. For that reason, I don't consider that one accent (in Spanish or English) is better than another—it's just different. It's true that there are accents that have more prestige than others, but that is a social, not a linguistic, concern. Then there's proper grammar and incorrect grammar, but that has nothing to do with the accent and is a wholly different story. In songs, by the way, sometimes incorrect grammar is used to beautiful effect, and I can think of more than one Bing song where that happens, as in "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby," for instance! 

21/10/2013 5:56 pm  #7

Richard and Anton, I love the British accent in it's many forms. Even here in the states North, South, East and West everyone has a different accent. They say we New Yorkers are hard to understand. A friend of mine from England [Devonshire] said he understood New Yorkers better than Southernors in the States. Go figure. My ancestors are from Italy some from Naples and some from Sicily. They had a hard time undersatnding each other. And Richard, Bing was pleasant to the ears as well as to the eyes! Cheerio!

Peace and Love! 

21/10/2013 7:54 pm  #8

By the way, My favorite New Yorker, James Cagney is hard for southernors to understand. In his gangster movies he lays it on thick[the new york accent] in real life he spoke a little better. He was a very intelligent man.

Peace and Love! 

22/10/2013 4:16 pm  #9

On one of his last CD's Johnny Cash has a great song that point's out how these regional accents affect social value judgements. Part of it goes something like this:  "Everything is done with a southern accent, where I come from. The young folks call it 'country; up North they call it 'dumb'."

But many people have  a very limited understanding of the number of accents. My parents each had to some degree what might be called a rural upper midwest accent common in rural communities in the northern halves of Indiana, Illinois, Iowa (though different from Minnesotan), yet in Chicago some people who met my father thought he was from the Deep South.  When he worked in the South, however, eveybody knew he was a Yankee. He didn't even say "ya'll."

A college friend from Greenwich, Connecticut, would begin the school year in Illinois saying Kwahtah, for quarter, and sound midwestern enough by the end of the year that his friends back home would make fun of him the following summer.  Sometimes the value judgement is evidenced by humor.  I recall seeing a German movie in which the accent of a character from Bavaria was an object of comic relief, as if Bavarians were the German equivalent of Hillbillies.

As for Bing and Frank, I am only very occasionally am startled by a vowel sound Bing makes that seems not quite universally American, and Frank's New York accent is incredibly mild -- especially if you compare it to a Cagney gangster character or to the Bowery Boys.

Last edited by Steve Fay (22/10/2013 4:22 pm)

22/10/2013 7:51 pm  #10

Quebec French is far different than French French.
In Australia a boy was kidnapped after his father had won The Opera House lottery - remembering, it was 250,000 quid ($500,000).
The boy was killed - think he was 12.
Anyway, the police could identify the caller's accent to a small village in Yorkshire. He was eventually captured.
BIA our accent is basically the same Perth and Sydney 2500 miles apart. However, things are different in some parts of the country by the way words are pronounced.
Some say dan(ce) or chan(ce) while in some parts they say darnce and charnce.

Board footera