06/10/2013 3:59 am  #1

Bio Pic on Bing by grandson?

I read that a Bio Pic on Bing is being made by his grandson Gregory Crosby. I wonder if he will portray Bing as a daddy dearest. Also, I thought Lindsay Crosby was very close to Bing, I read recently that Lindsay hated his father. Does anyone know the truth about Bing and his sons?

Peace and Love! 

06/10/2013 6:20 am  #2

Re: Bio Pic on Bing by grandson?

Where have you read these things? Can you give us links?

06/10/2013 10:43 am  #3

An awful lot of junk seems to get circulated about persons with a high public profile - provided they are dead and can no longer speak for themselves or take legal action. And course no one can take legal action on their behalf.

I am sure that much of the stuff that gets circulated is plain tittle tattle and some is even malicious, deriving from the "tall poppy" syndrome. Some just grow naturally in the telling. A well known film actor recently viewed a house not far from me. Within a month many local people were stating as a fact that he had moved in. He had not and the house is still for sale.

I'm inclined to disregard things that circulate that are antagonistic (or indeed those that are unduly adulatory) to the famous unless there are proven and verifiable sources. 

06/10/2013 10:48 am  #4

I found this on Gregory Crosby's IMDB page:

"Gregory hails from Hollywood royalty. He was born and raised in Beverly Hills, California, where he attended Beverly Hills Catholic School, and, later, Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, California. He eventually studied law and was a law clerk for the Beverly Hills law firm of "Keller & Lederer", then later became VP of Production for Sandy Howard Productions, the company that produced the acclaimed Richard Harris movie, A Man Called Horse (1970). This led to a production partnership with his lifelong friend, Desi Arnaz Jr., who was Best Man at his wedding to Spice Williams-Crosby. Together, he and Desi, under their Arnaz/Crosby Entertainment banner, developed a variety of motion picture projects for a variety of studios, including 20th Century-Fox and Columbia Pictures. His godparents were the late Jack Haley and Flo Haley. Jack, of course, played "the Tin Man" in the 1939 MGM family classic, The Wizard of Oz (1939).

Gregory also wrote the bible and pilot episode, "Sammy Davis", for the TV series known as "Medal of Honor" (2000), hosted by Burt Reynolds. He has one son, Luke Gregory Crosby. Gregory continues to write and develop screenplays with his current writing partners, Barry Schneider and Gene Church, and he will have his first major motion picture, The Conscientious Objector (????), released in 2012 -- the true story of "PFC Desmond T. Doss", the first conscientious objector in history to win the Congressional Medal of Honor. His newest project, "Tesla", is based on the amazing story of Nikola Tesla, the Croatian genius who invented AC and is considered by many to be the greatest inventor of all time. Gregory is also developing three other bio pics, one of his favorite genres. The first is on the most famous Naturalpath in history, Harry Hoxsey, and his 40-year battle against the AMA. The second is on the incredible clairvoyant, Edgar Cayce, known by millions of people around the world as the "sleeping prophet". And the third is on Gregory's grandfather, the legendary singer and actor Bing Crosby."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2125481/bio

Knowing how these development deals work, I doubt it will ever get made. In the past years bios of Louis Armstrong, Dean Martin, and Russ Columbo were in the planning phases to be made, but they never went no where. It might be better if it is not made. By the way, Gregory is the son of Dennis Crosby.

Last edited by Lobosco (06/10/2013 10:51 am)

06/10/2013 2:19 pm  #5

Thanks David! That's what I read. I was surfing internet trying to find out more about Dennis and Lindsay and I came across that about Gregory.

Peace and Love! 

06/10/2013 2:28 pm  #6

About Lindsay, when you read about his suicide at a couple of sites it mentions that he hated his father. I find this hard to believe. They also mention that he killed himself after watching White Christmas because he hated that movie and his father. I believe the 2 boys were having trouble with their finances and suffered from depression like their mother. I think the boys were very close to Bing. Maybe they were murdered.

Peace and Love! 

06/10/2013 9:05 pm  #7

Unfortunately it is impossible to get an exact take on what Lindsay thought about Bing either way. I never truly believe anything I read! Lindsay was the favorite of boys, and he took Dixie's death the hardest being the youngest. Reportedly, financial problems and a distorted mental state from the years of alcoholism contributed to his suicide. Either way it was a sad end.

Dennis never recovered from Lindsay's death, and I believe that contributed to his suicide. We will never truly know as many people never know why someone does something in a moment of dispair. It is those pretty common knowledge and probably proven by the police and the coroner that Lindsay and Dennis died at their own hands and not by a murderer. The murderer was their own minds and no one else.

06/10/2013 10:41 pm  #8

Thanks for your input David! I felt I shouldn't bring up the topic because it might upset some people. I wanted to know more about it and where else can I find knowledgeable Bing Fans. 

Peace and Love! 

08/10/2013 11:28 pm  #9

I wrote to Bing in the mid 50's asking/suggesting a film made of his life (a la Jolson) but he responded that he didn't think anyone would wish to see a movie about his life.
I think Kevin Spacey could play the part well.

09/10/2013 4:06 am  #10

As much as I adore Kevin Spacey and think he's a wonderful actor (one of my all time favorites), I just can't see him playing Bing at all. I did however love him as Bobby Darin in Beyond the Sea. Not sure who I could see playing Bing, though.

09/10/2013 1:34 pm  #11

How about Bing's grandson Philip.

Peace and Love! 

09/10/2013 7:43 pm  #12

I think I've heard it said that he is like Bing.

22/10/2013 2:40 pm  #13

Probably someone attributed Lindsay's suicide to Bing's parenting based merely on rumors of Gary's claims still out there circulating among people who haven't even read Gary's book.  Suicide is a very complex phenomenon, and what triggers suicidal thoughts and actions defy easy explanations.

In my region an annual fundraising event was founded promoting suicide awareness and prevention in commemoration of a young woman suicide victim named Whitney.  These sorts of efforts were uncommon in the 1970s. Here is some history of the organization: http://www.whitneyswalk.com/faf/help/helpEventInfo.asp?ievent=1045268&lis=1&kntae1045268=C227584284BA4A9F92A9619FCC3325F0
I recommend taking the website's "Awareness Quiz" -- it might save the life of someone you know: http://www.whitneyswalk.com/faf/quiz/quiz.asp?supId=0&ievent=1045268&lis=1&kntae1045268=C227584284BA4A9F92A9619FCC3325F0&game=awareness
Note that it did not list having Bing Crosby for a father as a risk factor or trigger.

Last edited by Steve Fay (22/10/2013 2:41 pm)

Board footera