New members are ALWAYS welcomed. If you are having any problems signing up or logging into the board, please contact me at davidlobosco@yahoo.com.
THE "RENT" FOR THIS BOARD HAS NOW BEEN PAID THROUGH October 22, 2026.
Offline

Joan Fontaine, Bing's co-star in the ill-conceived Emperor Waltz (1948) has died at the age of 96...
Offline

Lobosco wrote:
Joan Fontaine, Bing's co-star in the ill-conceived Emperor Waltz (1948) has died at the age of 96...
"Emperor Waltz" "ill conceived"? A quirky oddity possibly, but still good fun.
A bit early for the US press as yet but several UK papers have had lengthy obits.
One here actually mentions Bing and "Emperor Waltz"
USA Today here
Offline

Yes, I thought the movie was ill conceived. There was not chemistry between Bing and Fontaine, and a loud mouth Bing just was not the same. The movie is still better than most movies out today in theatres, but as for a Bing Crosby movie, it was not his best.
Offline

Lobosco wrote:
- - as for a Bing Crosby movie, it was not his best.
I agree entirely. But the conception was impeccable. - Colourful scenary - some Strauss derived music - a romantic attachment crossing the divide between old world aristocracy and new world, practical work-a-day man. What could go wrong? But it did.
Where it fell down was on accomplishment. I'm not quite certain why - but scenary looked too artificial, characters did not quite "gel". But you don't have to suspend disbelief as much as with "A Connecticut Yankee At The Court Of King Arthur" which despite that works more successfully.
I still prefer it to some others - "Say One For Me" for example.
Offline

Goodness - by far I think Say One For Me is an actual stinker of a movie. Regarding The Emperor Waltz, the storyline was good and the setting was beautiful as you said. However, Bing's character which was somewhat a loud mouth as compared to the Crosby personna was a distraction. Joan Fontaine I just do not by as Bing's love interest. Reportedly Bing wanted Greta Garbo or Deanna Durbin for the role. That would have made it a much different movie. I don't think anyone was really at fault for this movie. It sometimes just happens. I'll have to watch the film now and give it another look...
Offline
I think Olivia her sister would have been a better choice as Bing's love interest in the movie.