New members are ALWAYS welcomed. If you are having any problems signing up or logging into the board, please contact me at davidlobosco@yahoo.com.
THE "RENT" FOR THIS BOARD HAS NOW BEEN PAID THROUGH October 22, 2026.
Offline
Fred was born today August 30th, 1908. I read something about him that I didn't know. He played saxophone in the Gus Arheim Orchestra when Bing was lead vocalist and Russ Columbo was a violinist in the Orchestra [1930].
Offline
I have a CD - BIA - with a number of people singing on it including Fred. Just forget the song.
Marlene Deitrich is on it along with a favourite recording - Walter Huston singing (?) 'September Song'.
Offline

Ron Field wrote:
I have a CD - BIA - with a number of people singing on it including Fred. Just forget the song.
Marlene Deitrich is on it along with a favourite recording - Walter Huston singing (?) 'September Song'.
Ron,
Would that be one of the "Live At The Coconut Grove" series? - featuring various bands who played there?
Offline
I know Fred had a nice voice from seeing him in SING YOU SINNERS, and I guess he really played the instruments in the movie. I didn't know about The Coconut Grove Series or the cd mentioned by Ron.
Offline
No, the CD is not a 'Coconut Grove' one. It has a number of artists on it and early recordings - 30's and earlier. Forget the title name of the CD.
My brother is going to Bermagui in a couple of weeks to play golf, I could have him look it up, if he has time between golf, stories after golf and drinkies.