08/12/2010 4:44 pm  #1

AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THIS SITE

This discussion forum was set up by Tommy Bascumbe. I am sure all will wish to extend grateful thanks to him for his initiative and congratulate him on his success and the interest he has been able generate so far.

However, though it has been operating for a short time, Tommy has now realised that competing business pressures prevent him from being as active as he would like. 

He recently asked for assistance, but after some discussions he has felt it is more appropriate to hand over complete control to me.
While pursuing  discussions with Tommy I have also consulted with a key member of the management team of ICC. 
I have personal aspirations that at some point the forum might be incorporated in some way with the ICC,  of which I am a member,  but I emphasise that current responsibility is mine and mine alone.

When he set up the forum Tommy required some undertakings .
I am changing some of these to add emphasis to the general points about respect.

Participants are required to undertake
(1) To show every respect to the memory of Bing and his family.
(2) To have full regard to the ongoing rights of the family to respect and privacy.
(3) To understand and respect their ongoing business interests..
(4) To be generous and fair-minded to others;
(5) To be considerate and responsible in any statements;
(6) To participate regularly in discussions, if only to ask questions or to encourage the thriving of this community
(7) To invite other fans of the great Bing Crosby to join us here.

I assume that all existing participants will read this and their ongoing participation will be taken as an indication of their agreement.

I retain the absolute right to remove any posting that is likely to offend.  Repeated infringements will result in removal of the offender.

Any person or organisation with a legitimate interest who might feel that any item posted offends should send me an e –mail detailing their grievance. 

Legitimate criticism of the merits of artistic works is of course acceptable but no criticism of a personal character will be allowed. 

The aim and purpose of this board whilst in my care is to foster an interest in the life and works of Bing Crosby by discussion and exchange of information.

RICHARD BAKER

Crosby fans are our favourite people!

08/12/2010 5:25 pm  #2

Re: AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THIS SITE

Welcome Richard to your new role. There is a need for a well moderated discussion site where Crosby fans can have mature and knowledgeable interactions and I wish you well. It will not be an easy task but if the right standards are set as you indicate, you could have a winner.

08/12/2010 5:45 pm  #3

I agree to the rules 1-7 and welcome you to your new role, Richard. I am somewhat knowledgeable about Bing but F-A-R from the experts that I have encountered here and on the previous (now long gone) forum. I really am looking forward to some fine discussions here.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

09/12/2010 8:03 pm  #4

I feel privileged to be a new member at the beginning of a new regime and add my welcome to Richard in his new role. Could I make one very minor suggestion about the presentation of the site?  It would help my old eyes if the word TODAY in the right-hand column could be printed in caps and bold. I could then home in more quickly on the latest news. Thank you for considering this. All the best, Mel.

11/12/2010 6:22 pm  #5

Many an open forum is  marred by the kinds of posts you are clearly trying to avoid, Richard.  It's important that we give full support to the ICC and Bing Crosby Enterprise sites in helping promote Bing's legacy into the 21st Century.  The signs are good.  Bing won't be easily forgotten!

Devotee of 'the art that conceals art' which of course Bing epitomised.

11/12/2010 11:46 pm  #6

johnwalton wrote:

Many an open forum is  marred by the kinds of posts you are clearly trying to avoid, Richard.  It's important that we give full support to the ICC and Bing Crosby Enterprise sites in helping promote Bing's legacy into the 21st Century.  The signs are good.  Bing won't be easily forgotten!

John,

Thank you for your comment.
Whilst I believe in free speech, I think it very important that it should be tempered by respect and limited by responsibility and discretion.
I also believe that it should always be possible for disagreements to be discussed and reconciled in a considerate and reasoned manner.

I have no wish to be a heavy handed censor nor yet a wish to maintain open house where unfounded, irrational and unjustified comment is spread.

To add a comment about a specific part of your note, I fear that it has become customary for the 'the public' to turn upon or neglect the memory of the 'greats' - in almost all walks of life - in the years following their death. I trust that this period for Bing has new expired and that we will see a new resurgence of interest, led perhaps by the entirely welcome flow of CDs and DVDs initiated by Bing Crosby Enterprises.

Board footera