09/11/2022 7:54 pm  #1

She Loves Me Not

About once a month or so I've been watching Bing movies I haven't seen in quite a while.  This past Sunday I saw one of Bing's '30's movies and this one wasn't all that bizarre (as I find most of his early '30's movies).  She Loves Me Not was the feature in question and it was quite enjoyable.  Yes, corny at times, but that just added to the enjoyment for me.  I especially liked the scene Bing & Kitty Carlisle singing a duet in the clouds!   Bing's face on one cloud and Kitty on the other both singing sweet nothings to each other.  Bing plays a college man, who seems about 10 years too old to still be in college and as innocent as he acts.   But what the heck, with these '30's movies you have to throw logic out the window.  Lots of mix-ups, some great Bing songs like Love In Bloom and improbable situations with Miriam Hopkins.
You know when I was a kid and I'd see movies of college life and they'd show all the students dressed in cap and gown roaming the campus, chanting in unison or hazing some poor slob, I thought, that's how it really is in college.  It was kind of a scary thought to me.   Once I got to college I learned it was nothing like all the movies and TV shows portrayed.  This one must have contributed to my fears as the mobs of college men in gowns were all roaming and chanting and carrying torches as protesters.   This was the only real bizarre part of this '30's Bing movie.

Last edited by Archiefit (10/11/2022 1:07 am)

10/11/2022 12:23 am  #2

Re: She Loves Me Not

This is a nice movie to put on every once in a while, I’m a big fan of the soundtrack. I find it quite ironic how Bing looks too old for a college student here, but too young for a college professor in College Humor. Seems like the only time he was casted well age-wise for a college movie was in High Time!

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

10/11/2022 1:15 am  #3

It was a neat little movie, in spite of it's improbabilities.  Yes, you're right, great songs by Bing and interesting to hear Kitty singing operatic style.  I don't ever think of Kitty as young or a love interest as when I was a little kid in the early '60's I'd see Kitty all the time on To Tell The Truth.   So to me she was an older elegant lady type.  Seeing her young and as a love interest was a switch. 
And interesting Bing music wise was how long it took the movie to finally get to Bing singing.  It occurred to me while watching, "Oh yeah, Bing is supposed sing.  As the 1st part of the movie it was just setting up the situation.  But once set, Bing sang like a bird for the rest of the movie. 

Last edited by Archiefit (10/11/2022 1:16 am)

10/11/2022 1:42 pm  #4

I remember She Loves Me Not was the first early Bing film I saw. Not a great movie, but great Bing. It was the movie where part of the film Bing's ears were glued back and the rest of the film they were not. I recorded the songs from the film on a hand held microphone so I had Bing songs but with my dad's coughing or my sister talking in the background. Those were the days!

Last edited by Lobosco (10/11/2022 1:43 pm)

10/11/2022 10:27 pm  #5

It’s interesting, sometime during this movie his ears became undone and then he never had them glued back again, so some parts look more like Here Is My Heart Bing than College Humor Bing.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

24/11/2022 8:23 am  #6

Yes She Loves me Not was the first really early Bing film I saw as well. David’s story about recording the tv on the tape recorder reminded me of what I used to do before videotape. It must have been 1978 so I was 14 and there was a Crosby movie marathon from midnight until 6am on one of the Sydney tv channels. I still remember it was Rhythm on the River then Double or Nothing and finally She Loves me Not. My parents wouldn’t let me stay up to watch them as I had school the next day but I woke up around 3am and grabbed my tape recorder and secretly watched and recorded the last 15 minutes of Double or Nothing and the first hour of She Loves me Not. Whenever I watch these films now I remember back to the trouble we all used to go through to “capture the moment” and how nice it is that any hour of the day I can now watch them without any problems. 

Last edited by dgmprod (24/11/2022 8:30 am)

29/11/2022 4:00 pm  #7

dgmprod wrote:

Yes She Loves me Not was the first really early Bing film I saw as well. David’s story about recording the tv on the tape recorder reminded me of what I used to do before videotape. It must have been 1978 so I was 14 and there was a Crosby movie marathon from midnight until 6am on one of the Sydney tv channels. I still remember it was Rhythm on the River then Double or Nothing and finally She Loves me Not. My parents wouldn’t let me stay up to watch them as I had school the next day but I woke up around 3am and grabbed my tape recorder and secretly watched and recorded the last 15 minutes of Double or Nothing and the first hour of She Loves me Not. Whenever I watch these films now I remember back to the trouble we all used to go through to “capture the moment” and how nice it is that any hour of the day I can now watch them without any problems. 

Those were the days! Before I had records and CDs, I had recordings of these songs from a little mike held up to the tv speakers. Life was so simpler then!

Board footera