30/10/2019 12:09 pm  #1

Chick Wilson - Select Circles

Lee, here is the obituary for Chick Wilson, who supplied many a CD to Bing collectors. Wasn't his business called Select Circles. Sadly Chick died in a nursing home in 2014...

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenwichtime/obituary.aspx?n=chick-wilson&pid=170249703&fhid=11210

30/10/2019 6:22 pm  #2

Re: Chick Wilson - Select Circles

Archiefit wrote:

OH, you are so right.  Wow, I am very sorry to have gotten these names mixed up.  It was indeed Chick Wilson I was talking about.   While I was familiar with Wig Wiggins name from CD liner notes I don't believe I ever had the privilege of talking with him.  Though come to think of it, if he was the guy in charge of one of the Bing Crosby Clubs back in the '80's or '90's I may have talked with him once about the club.   But I don't want to make any more mistakes.   Sorry to all.   

Chick Wilson had a nice little business, and I got many nice CDs from him.

Does anyone remember Mr. Nostalgia in Florida that had a mail order business as well.

31/10/2019 1:55 am  #3

Archiefit wrote:

Yes, sure, Mr. Nostalgia, based in Florida, as I recall, was one of my main sources for Bing and Al Jolson and others.  I didn't have a lot of conversations with the guy who ran it, like I had with Chick,  but he also was one who carried Bing CDs you could never find anywhere else.   Remember this was all pre internet days when if you wanted a Bing CD or album you went to the few local used record stores and searched literally fingering thru albums & albums looking for a gem.  With Bing CDs you couldn't find most of them esp. the oddball label CDs (those not on MCA) they were not available anywhere except Chick or Mr. Nostalgia.  Once in a while I would find some of these "oddball" label albums or CDs of Bing at Tower Records and Peachtree Records store (both now sadly long gone).  But it was mainly always Chick to the rescue for anything unusual for Bing.

Yes those were the days! I also liked Worlds Records but they were a little more expensive. I never knew Mr. Nostalgia's name but I remember his address was Tamarac, FL. I remember the most CDs I ever bought in one place was when my parents and I went to Toronto the Summer of 1996. There was a Sam The Record Man store on the main drag. There were four floors of records and CDs. I think I bought 25-30 CDs that trip. The money I mus have spent, but in those days I was a single guy with nothing to do!

31/10/2019 2:59 am  #4

Archiefit wrote:

One of my most successful trips to a used record store I can still remember well.   I ran across Bing album after Bing album I could only have dreamed of finding before.   Someone must have unloaded a Bing fan's collection but all that Bing in one trip was like a miracle for me.  Those days before the internet made it all so easy were truly like treasure hunting days.  When you ran across a hole with that buried treasure you were exuberant.   It's what gives collecting that addictive thrill to find more.   Collecting lost a lot of it's thrills when the internet came along.

I agree with you 100%. I spent many a great Sunday with my Grandparents going to flea markets and you never knew what treasure you found. The internet has been a double edged sword when it came to collecting. It made it much more easier, but a lot less fun. 

My Grandfather and I would compare what we got at the flea markets like two cavemen bragging about the animals they captured on their hunt!

31/10/2019 1:31 pm  #5

Archiefit wrote:

One of my most successful trips to a used record store I can still remember well.   I ran across Bing album after Bing album I could only have dreamed of finding before.   Someone must have unloaded a Bing fan's collection but all that Bing in one trip was like a miracle for me.  Those days before the internet made it all so easy were truly like treasure hunting days.  When you ran across a hole with that buried treasure you were exuberant.   It's what gives collecting that addictive thrill to find more.   Collecting lost a lot of it's thrills when the internet came along.

I just found out that Mr. Nostalgia (Charles Morrison) died in 2015. 

Board footera