17/2/2019 3:12 am  #1

Shock! No Bing From Time Life No Mo

I just went to the Time Life site to check in on the Bing DVDs again (I was hoping the set was broken up into 2 so I could buy the 2nd set of shows I didn't already buy years back) but when I gots there WHOPPO!!   No more Bing DVDs for sale anymore!   What the hey?  

While this set was a major rip-off in that they were re-selling everything that was already available and the shows that weren't already available previously were mercilessly hacked to death.  But I would still have bought those shows that weren't already available even in their shredded state that TIme tried to pawn off on us.  A shredded Bing show is better than nothing.   But now in less than a year Time has already removed this product!  I think that must be a record for short lived DVDs sets sold by Time.  Their Jackie Gleason set (which came out about 2 years before Bing's set) is still available for sale. 

I wonder what happened?   The Bing company is, as is their usual practice, mum on anything that would be 1/2 way interesting to learn, for instance WHY did they agree in the first place to allow shredded Bing specials to be sold by Time and second why is this set no longer for sale?   Did the BIng people put the kibosh on this Time set due to the massive complaints about the overwhelming edits or perhaps (for the hopeful thought, but highly doubtful knowing who we're dealing with) is the Bing company itself now going to release these specials that were NOT already available in UNEDITED editions?    This would be the ideal outcome.  But I won't be holding my breath for this to happen though, it could be another 30 year wait.   But it's a nice wish.

19/2/2019 1:39 pm  #2

Re: Shock! No Bing From Time Life No Mo

I'll see if I can find out what happened. It's a shame what Time Life does to the shows. The only set I bought is the Carol Burnett complete show sets. Reportedly, Carol Burnett has retained control of the shows and how they are presented.

The reason why Bing Crosby is not remembered as much today as his peers like Sinatra and Dean Martin is there a lack of organization and marketing of his image. Now almost 42 years after his death, it is too late. 

Luckily I have a lot of bootleg copies of the Hollywood Palace and Bing movies that have not seen the light of day for DVD releases.

21/2/2019 5:19 pm  #3

WOW. Talk about a very short shelf life...that was less than a year available.

I really wonder why this set was pulled. And it had to have been pulled. I can't imagine all of Time Life's copies completely sold out. Even if they weren't going to continue keeping this in print, I would imagine that they would keep it available online to at least sell out of their print run. There isn't even a single copy available on eBay, either.

Zane Johnson

22/2/2019 1:25 am  #4

Maybe the Crosby family pulled it from circulation after all the comments from us fans of how disappointing the set was as it was really mutilated.
Stars supposed to be on a show and never seen, the composite of songs with Bing and his guests (Perry and Maurice) never took place - those medley of songs were pure delight.
They should really recompose the set and have the whole shows and not a jigsaw of a programme and then give all of us who purchased the set a free set as we were keen to have to help keep Bing's name up there.

23/2/2019 3:40 am  #5

I'd really like to know why we can't get any honesty from the Bing people on what the heck's going on with Bing sale items?   Will they now release these NOT BEFORE released Bing specials in Unedited versions?   Doubt it.  Why won't they speak out to what's really on everyone's mind?   Why is there NO mention of the Time Life set being removed so fast?   Why won't they list the show dates of the programs they play on their internet Bing sounds?  

I don't even listen to that site anymore since it makes me mad to NOT know what's coming in the future so that I can be sure to be tuned in BEFORE the last 2 minutes of the show.  I'm so sick of hearing only the ends of shows I would have liked to have heard in their entirety if I had only known WHEN they are going to play it.  Do they purposely NOT want people to know what they're doing?   What's with all the secrecy?   The official Bing site is the LAST place you go to find out what's going on in the Bing world, it should be the first.  But their desire for total secrecy on any subject that is slightly relevant to a Bing fan's interest makes this a place I no longer visit, it's in a word, USELESS. 

Another thing I notice is NO ONE here ever says anything negative about the Bing company.   Have they threatened to close down this site too as they did to the best Bing site on the intenet Steven Lewis's old site?  Now there was a place you could find out REAL information pertaining to Bing not just ads or self-promoting chatter you get over there.   PUT UP A SCHEDULE FOR WHAT THE HECK IT IS YOU'RE PLAYING ON YOUR BING RADIO PLACE.  Then I'll be happy to tune in when I know what it is I'm going to hear before it's already over.

Just where is everyone here when it comes to talking about this subject, is everyone afraid?

Last edited by Archiefit (23/2/2019 3:49 am)

23/2/2019 7:43 pm  #6

Archiefit wrote:

I'd really like to know why we can't get any honesty from the Bing people on what the heck's going on with Bing sale items?   Will they now release these NOT BEFORE released Bing specials in Unedited versions?   Doubt it.  Why won't they speak out to what's really on everyone's mind?   Why is there NO mention of the Time Life set being removed so fast?   Why won't they list the show dates of the programs they play on their internet Bing sounds?  

I don't even listen to that site anymore since it makes me mad to NOT know what's coming in the future so that I can be sure to be tuned in BEFORE the last 2 minutes of the show.  I'm so sick of hearing only the ends of shows I would have liked to have heard in their entirety if I had only known WHEN they are going to play it.  Do they purposely NOT want people to know what they're doing?   What's with all the secrecy?   The official Bing site is the LAST place you go to find out what's going on in the Bing world, it should be the first.  But their desire for total secrecy on any subject that is slightly relevant to a Bing fan's interest makes this a place I no longer visit, it's in a word, USELESS. 

Another thing I notice is NO ONE here ever says anything negative about the Bing company.   Have they threatened to close down this site too as they did to the best Bing site on the intenet Steven Lewis's old site?  Now there was a place you could find out REAL information pertaining to Bing not just ads or self-promoting chatter you get over there.   PUT UP A SCHEDULE FOR WHAT THE HECK IT IS YOU'RE PLAYING ON YOUR BING RADIO PLACE.  Then I'll be happy to tune in when I know what it is I'm going to hear before it's already over.

Just where is everyone here when it comes to talking about this subject, is everyone afraid?

I can not answer for everyone on the board, but personally I am at the point in my life where I want to just listen to Bing and not get into the politics and business of what is being done with his legacy. 

My goal at this point is just passing on the memory of Bing to my children and enjoy what Bing I have.

28/8/2019 3:40 pm  #7

I'm just taking a guess, but I do know that when the Bing estate released some of the specials on DVD before, they ran into problems with music licensing, particularly from Universal.  I think that problem culminated in Universal acting as the agent for most of the Bing CDs.  The fact that they started selling the DVDs and then stopped with no mention indicates to me that they may have gotten a strong letter from some rights holder.  Either that, or the pressed copies contained unintentional errors that ruined them.

29/12/2019 5:29 am  #8

I do not believe it is the latter as, they would have stopped producing volumes 1 and 2 and I just bought volume 1 brand new a few days ago.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

30/12/2019 3:18 am  #9

If you bought Vol. 1 a few days ago I'd like to know what magical spell you cast to do it.   It hasn't been available on Time Life since they removed it many months ago.   Maybe you found one on ebay?   But it's no longer officially for sale.  It was also never sold broken up iinto 2 separate volumes, you had to buy both or none.

By the way, last night I watched one of the Jackie Gleason Shows from the Time Life DVD set.   Maybe it's just as well Time no longer sells Bing's shows, the Gleason show had at least 15 minutes cut, only 35 minutes of what was originally an hour show, 50 minutes if you remove the commercials.  They cut off Frank Fontaine (one of my favorite parts of the old Gleason show was hearing him sing) just as he was about to sing a song it was immediately cut off, the June Taylor Dancers opening was cut and there must have been several comedy bits cut too cause the credits contained performer names that never appeared on the Time edited version.   So, it was nice to see what very little there was but frustrating to realize what you're missing.

30/12/2019 3:50 am  #10

I meant the TV Specials Volume 1 with his first show, oldsmobile, 1962 show, and cooling it. I was replying to what JoeDoakes said about possible errors in the pressed copies containing errors. I should've quoted that sorry. I'm semi-happy I didn't buy the set when I had the chance.

30/12/2019 3:52 am  #11

As he was talking about the two four special sets released by BCE and UMe a while ago, to my knowledge.

20/1/2020 4:18 am  #12

Lobosco wrote:

I can not answer for everyone on the board, but personally I am at the point in my life where I want to just listen to Bing and not get into the politics and business of what is being done with his legacy. 

My goal at this point is just passing on the memory of Bing to my children and enjoy what Bing I have.

Ditto.

That's where I am these days, too, David.

20/1/2020 4:25 am  #13

I understand that completely. Although it would be nice to get unedited versions of these specials.

Board footera