30/8/2011 5:47 pm  #1

Peak moments or periods in the history of the Crosby fan community?

This is a question for the long-term, dedicated and devoted members of this community of Bing Crosby fans.  To each of you, personally, what stands out as the glory days or years in the life of this evolving aggregation of Bing fans and fan organizations, events, and discussions?  What strikes you as the best of these times, and why?

For some of you, it might be possible that the times that come to mind took place when Bing was still alive, times when fans could still interact with him in a variety of ways.  Others might think of periods when they got together with and made personal friendships with other fans.  Others might recall a lively fan publication, perhaps one they helped supply with articles.  Others might reflect on how this Crosby interest affects the rest of their lives.  I don't want to limit the possibilities by tossing out a few suggestions.  Many other relevent times and issues might be very interesting.

Having only been involved with other fans in recent years, I always experience a good bit of awe just contemplating of all the good will, hard work, and fellow-feeling that for decades has created and maintained this far-reaching community.  I am always also quite sure that there must be so much about what has made it what it is that Johnny-come-latelies like myself have no idea about.

So ANY of you long-time fans, this is a time when we look to you, and we ask to hear your stories -- accounts of what you see as golden moments for Crosby fans like you, or simply you in particular. Perhaps, some forum members who haven't felt moved to participate in many other discussions, might  -- if they give moment of recollection and thought to this question -- think of something to share that no one else might ever mention.  It might only seem like a little corner of experience to you, but it might strike others as containing some very important observation or insight.

We look to you for the inspiration these stories can provide as we head into the future.  Funny or serious stories invited, either might make us think and better appreciate what this family of fans has lent to maintaining Bing Crosby's legacy and how individuals interacting together have made this so.

Last edited by Steve Fay (30/8/2011 5:49 pm)

31/8/2011 1:48 am  #2

Re: Peak moments or periods in the history of the Crosby fan community?

I think for myself the peak Bing Crosby fan years was from 1991 to 2003. That was when I was involved in Club Crosby. Under the leadership of Mark Scrimnger and Wayne Martin the club was excellent, and the magazine they produced was second to none. Even though there is more of Bing's music out there than ever before, I think the end of Club Crosby as well as Bing's 100th birthday marked the high point.

01/9/2011 8:31 am  #3

For me the pinnacle year was 2002 and the Hofstra conference in particular. It was a memorable event during which I learned so much about Bing and met so many fellow enthusiasts in such convivial suuoundings. The years which immediatley preceded and followed it were the peak years for me as I researched Bing's place in Australian entertainment and that led to me publishing a book on the subject in 2008.

01/9/2011 8:11 pm  #4

I think fans who have never been able to get to something like that conference or the annual meetings of fan organizations like ICC would love to hear longer accounts of memorable experiences at such events!

06/10/2011 12:59 am  #5

Perhaps the editors of BING magazine might consider publishing some recollections or accounts of the Hofstra conference to commemorate its tenth anniversary next year.

06/10/2011 8:17 am  #6

Thanks for the suggestion. Graham. I'll keep it in mind.

Board footera