07/7/2011 3:29 pm  #1

Bing on Sirius XM Satellite Radio

Anybody here subscribe to this? Apparently, they've been playing digitally remastered versions of Bing's radio shows.
http://www.siriusxm.com/40son4

08/7/2011 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Bing on Sirius XM Satellite Radio

The top of that page says "'40s at 4: '40s Pop Hits..."  I wonder if these are from a different part of basement archive tapes than those mined for the recent CD releases, all of which have been from '50s or later radio shows?   Might the basement vault also contain all or most of the tapes from the dawn of Bing's tape recording of programs on?  What year would that go back to...47, 48?

The idea of entire shows, not just the songs, being digitally remastered from original tapes is very intriguing.  Were this to be done for a product sellable to fans, one would expect the shows to include all of the original commercials, some of which seem quite integral to depicting the time period.  I wonder if these Sirius broadcasts include the commercials?  In the case of ones for companies that might still exist, it would seem to be free advertising, something Sirius stockholders might raise eyebrows over.

08/7/2011 5:27 pm  #3

I doubt that the Chesterfield shows would have the commercials in them.
As I already have all the complete radio shows on CD I will be giving this a pass.

The tapes should start in 1946 which was the start of the philco show.

Last edited by mstevens90 (08/7/2011 5:30 pm)

08/8/2011 7:35 am  #4

Listened to the Chesterfield Show from November 8, 1950 yesterday on SiriusXM. Dick Powell was the guest and sings a great medley with Bing. The commercials were indeed cut out but Sirius inserted a couple of mentions of themselves during the show. Next week it's the Chesterfield show from November 15, 1950 - guests Bob Crosby and Toni Arden.

17/8/2011 12:21 am  #5

I am listening to the Nov 15th 1950 show now. I would have to wonder how these new transfers compare with the transfers done by the Redmond Nostalgia Company

Last edited by mstevens90 (17/8/2011 12:22 am)

22/8/2011 6:40 am  #6

Sirius broadcast the KMH show from September 2, 1943 over the weekend. The guest was Frank McHugh.

Board footera