11/7/2011 4:15 pm  #1

The Album: "Songs I Wish I Had Sung the First Time Around"

I have been listening to the LP of this album again, and to some extent re-evaluating it.  When I first started to think about collecting most or all of Bing's albums, this was one of the first ones I added to my collection.  Unfortunately, the copy I found was rather worn -- to a degree that the performances sounded less lustrous than I hear now on a much better copy I obtained a few months ago.

One of the things I liked from the beginning about this album are the notes on the back cover, which are attributed to Bing.  Bing's recollections of recordings by Gene Austin, Russ Columbo (who he knew at the Coconut Grove), Louis Armstrong's performances of Fats Waller's "Ain't Misbehavin'," and other performers and songs are very fascinating to read. 

As to the recordings of the individual songs, I find I like them better and better the more times I listen.  For some reason I tried to decide on my favorite one  (I'm usually not one for ranking songs), and found the process rather difficult.  I finally settled on Johnny Mercer's "Blues in the Night," but "When My Baby Smiles At Me" was a virtual tie, and several others were strong contenders.

On my better copy of the record, I find the Jack Pleis orchestra quite swinging on the swinging numbers, and not too schmaltzy on the love ballads.  Also, Jud Conlin's Rhythmaires are employed very selectively, and are used to very good effect.  Considering this as one of Bing's earliest albums conceived for the LP format, I think it is very successful, holding together well and being very listenable.

It's not as groundbreaking as "Bing Swings While Bregman Swings," which followed it, but I have heard of a Crosby fan or two who find the Bregman arrangements a bit blaring in the brass and percussion.  While I am a big fan of the Bregman album, I suspect that criticism would not be applied by many to the arrangements on "Songs I Wish I Had Sung...."  Also I would suspect that fans who are less enthusiastic over Bing's 1950s albums backed by Buddy Cole and trio, finding that sort of backup to thin for Bing, might prefer the orchestrations on this album.

I understand that a CD of it was released in Japan at some point,  but I don't know there has been another CD release.

I am interested in any other forum members' thoughts and impressions about this album or about Bing's performances of any of the songs on it.  I hope some others think it is one definitely worth revisiting as listeners and appreciaters.

11/7/2011 11:43 pm  #2

Re: The Album: "Songs I Wish I Had Sung the First Time Around"

I agree that this overall was an extremely good production.

It was indeed issued on a Japanese CD. My copy bears the Warner- Pioneer Corporation imprint but the label remains MCA/Decca. The catalogue number was 25P2-2832 and a performance date (P within a circle) of 1989!! I believe the actual issue date was much later.

It includes the the notes (one can almost hear Bing speaking them) and as with many Japanese issues, the full lyrics in English, in addition to the track  listings and details in Japanese. The sound quality is excellent.

The notes commence -

Singing these songs after the famous singers who made them a part of our standard popular catalogue reminds me somewhat of the coon dog who persisted in the chase long after the quarry had been treed and bagged. 'He's just running to get his feet sore,' his owner said sourly. Well, maybe that's what I'm doing. Certainly I have no hope of embellishing these songs, nor do I dream of adding luster to the rich nostalgic patina which already surrounds them. Let's just say it's my way of paying tribute to the people who introduced and popularized them—people who for one reason or other are particular favorites of mine, and, I'm sure, of the world of music lovers.
Really, it seems rather fantastic that special identification should be necessary, linking singers with songs, but maybe for the sprouts it might be wise.

- and so on with notes on the titles and original performers.

Last edited by Richard Baker (11/7/2011 11:45 pm)

12/7/2011 2:47 pm  #3

I have always taken Bing's humility in such statements as being quite sincere.  I think it is one of the 'habits of the heart' permanently instilled by his raising and experience prior to his becoming one of the world's most popular entertainers.  Rather refreshing, isn't it, in our times to read such remarks, when so many performers and celebrities try to outdo one another as showoffs.

I haven't traced the titles in your discography, Richard, but I would assume that Bing had already sung most or all of these songs before, some perhaps several times, over his decades on radio.  His audiences expected him to provide his renditions of the current hits and other favorites they would have known and loved well.  Perhaps this makes these selections more valuable, because Bing would have known these songs already as both a listener and a singer during the times when they and the artists who introduced them were influencing audiences most strongly.

Richard, and others, what are some of your favorite songs on this album?  Also, does anyone know if this was Pleis's regular orchestra or simply a gathering of studio musicians he was asked to conduct?

12/7/2011 4:23 pm  #4

Of the songs, Bing had recorded "Blues In The Night" 27th. January 1942, so he somehow forgot that or didn't check his recorded songs. The newer version was recorded 17th. April 1956

12/7/2011 5:31 pm  #5

The title implies that Bing had not recorded the songs before but as Ron says there was a little bout of amnesia. In fact several had been performed on radio on many occasions. As Ron points out 'Blues In The Night' had been recorded for commercial release and (slightly stretching the point) so had 'My Blue Heaven' though that was admittedly as part of a vocal chorus with Whiteman.

A brief run down  -

1 - April Showers had been in a Philco programme in 1947 with Al Jolson.
It was subsequently sung by Bing on a couple of TV shows and in the last recording session in 1977 - a considerably superior version - recently reissued on 'Seasons'

2 - When My Baby Smiles At Me first cropped up in parody form on KMH in 1938 and repeated a couple of times in 1938 and 1939. Oddly, it was recorded with Buddy Cole for radio  in the same month as the recording with Jack Pleis. The Cole version was subsequently included as one of the Pete Moore stereo overdubs

3 - My Blue Heaven was one of the very early recordings with Paul Whiteman in 1927. It was included (in presumably a similar form) in an  'Old Gold'  broadcast in 1929. Bing got round to a solo performance with Jimmy Dorsey on KMH in 1936 and it appeared in an AFRS broadcast with, of all people, Harpo Marx, playing, of course, his harp. It reappeared on radio  in 1948, 1950, (twice) and was again included with the Buddy Cole radio recordings in 1955, in which form it was repeated on radio on many occasions. It also cropped up on TV.

4 - A Little Kiss Each Morning is known to have been included in an Old Gold broadcast with Whiteman in 1930 but I don't think it was otherwise performed by Bing.

5 - Prisoner of Love had not been performed  by Bing previously but was sung in fragmentary form on the Hollywood Palace TV show iin 1965

6 - Ain't Misbehavin' popped up on radio in1931 (twice) and was again one of those recorded with Buddy Cole in 1954, being repeated in the radio shows on many occasions, and was also overdubbed by the Pete Moore Orchestra..

7 - Paper Doll first appeared on KMH in 1943 (three times), then 1944 (three), 1945, 1949 with the Mills Brothers (a superb version) and on TV in 1966 again with the Mills Brothers

8 - This Love Of Mine was another with almost no exposure - a fragment only on radio in 1943.

9 - Thanks For the Memory - 1938 (twice)  1944 fragmentary a cappela,  1948 (with Robert Taylor playing cello -quite funny) and subsequently several TV appearances.

10 - Blues in the Night was perhaps the most frequently performed. It was also one of the songs parodied by Bing on an 'African Safari' medley. Bing had previously recorded it for commercial release in 1942 and it was included in radio shows with some frequency in 1941, 42 and 43 on KMH and Victory Caravan shows. It was then put to sleep until the Jack Pleis recording.

11 - Mona Lisa was another parodied in 'African Safari' and otherwise appeared twice on the Chesterfield show in 1950 and on TV in 1967

12 - Memories Are Made of This - so far as I know the Jack Pleis recording is the sole example.

I know nothing about the Jack Pleis Orchestra but I suspect that like many others appearing on record it was drawn from jobbing musicians for the task in hand.  Searches on the internet for such an orchestra and for Jack Pleis as a conductor or arranger throw up almost nothing apart from other recordings in which he was involved.

Personally I am not very keen on April Showers - it is overshadowed by the verve of the Jolson original and I suspect that the arranger was striving too hard to differentiate it from that version. I find the vocal backing here a little annoying - 'drip, drip'. Apart from that single negative comment all the tracks are quite entertaining with the qualification that it is sometimes difficult to 'forget' the well known originals - particulary so with 'Mona Lisa'. Of them all I particularly like 'Memories are Made Of This' - both for Bing's treatment (he almost seems to caress the words) and the orchestral arrangement.

Much more detail about the individual performances is given by the 'Songography' on the Bing Magazine website.

13/7/2011 12:04 am  #6

On the album, "Songs I Wish I Had Sung" are in large letters -- leading to the impression that Bing has never sung any of them before -- , but by including the subsequent title words presented in a smaller font, "The First Time Around," the intended meaning becomes explicit.  These are a selection of songs Bing wished he had introduced.  Knowing a little of Bing's time in radio, the idea that he might not have sung most of these before, at least in that medium, starts to seem doubtful.

One of my Gene Austin LPs says Gene first recorded "My Blue Heaven" on September 14, 1927, so we know from Richard's post that Bing recorded it sometime within the following 3 1/2 months.  Somewhere I read about a popular Cowboy song Bing recorded within about 10 days of the original artist's (might have been Gene Aurtry) release.  In that case, Bing's version outsold the original.  I doubt that his recording of "My Blue Heaven" would make anyone forget about Austin's hauntingly distinctive falsetto.  On the other hand, the song is worthy of many artist's versions.

I agree that Bing doesn't make us forget Nat King Cole's version of "Mona Lisa," but Bing and the Andrews Sisters (not on this album) did a stirring version of "Route 66" that Nat's earlier version couldn't make me forget...once I heard it.

Richard, that's a very interesting observation about "Memories are Made of This."

13/7/2011 10:58 am  #7

Steve Fay wrote:

One of my Gene Austin LPs says Gene first recorded "My Blue Heaven" on September 14, 1927, so we know from Richard's post that Bing recorded it sometime within the following 3 1/2 months.

Well, actually Steve, Whiteman, complete with Bing in the chorus, got in first. Theirs was recorded on 6th July 1927!

Songpluggers did the rounds of the big 'acts' of the day and songs regarded by the 'acts' as having any sort of future would have first appeared in their live performances, and with luck, might get radio or record exposure.  Thereafter different interpretations might slug it out, sometimes with several getting more or less equal prominence, in others one particular performance rising to the top,  but not necessarily the one that got in first. As you note, in later years, Bing's version might 'win' even though he might only have recorded it as a need to cover an already semi-established song.

13/7/2011 3:34 pm  #8

Mind if I join in..?

I'm very pleased that a thread has been started about this particular album because it's always been one of my favourites.

I've always thought that there is something very special about Bing's singing at this period of his career - something that I can't quite put my finger on. A solo performer for the best part of thirty years, with a good many of those years at the absolute peak of his fame. Now in the mid 1950s maybe not enjoying quite the same steady flow of record and movie hits (yes, yes, I know, 1956 brought "High Society"...), but still producing work of extremely good quality, almost  - as you quoted, Richard - "running to get his feet sore".

I often wonder if the changes that the early 50s brought about in Bing's working life changed his attitude in the recording studio. No more Jack Kapp, no more weekly radio show (not of the KMH, Philco, Chesterfield, GE type, anyway) and therefore no more John Scott Trotter.

His work at this time seems to me more than ever to give the impression of a man at the top of his game with nothing to prove. Someone in completely control of what he's doing technically and - above all - rhythmically.  It's the same with the Bregman album and also the CBS sessions released by Mosaic. He just sits on all this stuff with complete ease and control. By the time we get to "Fancy Meeting You Here" I think there are further subtle changes, but that another thread!

Let's face it, the songs on this album are not all copper-bottomed standards, but Bing makes them all sound as if they are! I like the arrangements very much. Full orchestral charts which are neither too "brassy" or "soupy". Vocal backings are very much of their time but, I think, tastefully done. (OK, I'll grant you the "drip, drips..."!)

All of the tracks are winners in my opinion, with only two very slight reservations. I'm not too keen on "Blues in the Night", but I've never really liked the song, so that doesn't help. I also think that the Perry Como version of "Memories Are Made Of This" is one of those rare occasions when song, singer and arrangement are absolutely made for each other, so I find it more difficult to "erase" that version when I'm listening to Bing. Great to hear the verse of "Mona Lisa", too...

My copy of this album is a CD transferred from the original LP, so I don't have the sleeve notes to hand (which might answer my question), but does anyone know why Bing says "Thanks Ted" during the coda of "When My Baby Smiles At Me"?

Anyway, sorry for going on at some length but, as I said, great to see a discussion about one of my favourite albums.

13/7/2011 3:47 pm  #9

jeremyrose wrote:

Mind if I join in..?

My copy of this album is a CD transferred from the original LP, so I don't have the sleeve notes to hand (which might answer my question), but does anyone know why Bing says "Thanks Ted" during the coda of "When My Baby Smiles At Me"?

Jeremy, Of course you can join in - the more the merrier!

I think the 'Thanks Ted' is supposed to be directed at Ted Lewis who popularised the song.

I think you have put it very aptly when you say that ' - - - give the impression of a man at the top of his game with nothing to prove. Someone in completely control of what he's doing technically and - above all - rhythmically.  - - - He just sits on all this stuff with complete ease and control'

13/7/2011 5:32 pm  #10

Richard Baker wrote:

Steve Fay wrote:

One of my Gene Austin LPs says Gene first recorded "My Blue Heaven" on September 14, 1927, so we know from Richard's post that Bing recorded it sometime within the following 3 1/2 months.

Well, actually Steve, Whiteman, complete with Bing in the chorus, got in first. Theirs was recorded on 6th July 1927!....

That IS interesting, Richard.  I don't know if the recording on the album I have is actually Austin's first time recording the song or whether it may have just been the best surviving track when the idea of putting that LP compilation together came around, but if it is Austin's first, this is a case where The first solo-artist recording to top the charts is *thought of* as the song's introduction, despite the calendar dates...even by Bing who as a choruster preceded it!

Last edited by Steve Fay (13/7/2011 5:35 pm)

13/7/2011 5:56 pm  #11

Jeremy, thanks so much for joining in the discussion.  I hope other long-time fans of this album will be encouraged by your example to share their thoughts as well.

In any case, you put your finger on something I was feeling during my recent listening to the album but which I realize I didn't articulate in kicking off the topic.  I, too, hear the kind of "total ease and control" you describe also being in the CBS Radio recordings in the Mosaic series.  In listening to the Mosaic disks I grasped the depth of this quality and level of capability in that period of Bing's career like I never had before.  Then, in listening to this better copy of the "Songs I Wish..." LP, just recently, I was hearing/feeling that same thing coming across, perhaps more in certain passages than others, but very clearly there.

If we think of part of Bing's intent in the album as being offering a tribute both to the songs and to the artists most identified with them, then I don't think he is trying to upstage the other versions or make us forget them, even though he might have liked to have been the artist to introduce the songs.  I take it as him saying the best way he can express his value of these songs and those other singer's versions is to sing the songs for us his way, too.

Jeremy, do add more of your thoughts about the album!

14/7/2011 9:39 pm  #12

Remember Bing's notes on the cover? Said he must put one together about the songs the gals sung, which he hadn't.
This never happened.

15/7/2011 3:38 pm  #13

That's a terrific point, Ron!  Had Bing had the opportunity to make a few more albums working with Ken Barnes, that would have been a great theme for one of them.  I think it certainly would have included some songs introduced by Rosemary Clooney, Peggy Lee, and others he frequently sang with, but it might have also included songs introduced by so many other important female vocalists who overlapped Bing's career.

(Ron, back to Vic Damone, you might want to start a thread about him in the "Others of Note" category of the forum.  I'd love to hear what you and other Crosby fans have to say about what Vic's most notable songs and albums may have been.  I'm willing to give him another chance, especially considering I was only a kid when I saw him on TV.  It was a Crosby fan, Norman, I think it was, who persuaded me to find a new appreciation of Eydie Gorme.  You can learn a lot from a group of Bing Crosby fans!)

Board footera