25/6/2019 12:24 pm  #1

New Bing Sings Johnny Mercer CD

I found details of this new CD on a big band web page. I don't have any other details yet...

"Sounds of YesterYear has a new Bing Crosby CD, “Immersed In Mr. Mercer’s Verse,” no. DSOY 2151, that focuses on the lyrics of Johnny Mercer.

Participants on the various performances which date from 1936 to 1953 include, besides Bing and Johnny Mercer himself, Spike Jones on drums (with “Victor Young and His Small Fryers”), as well as the bands of Jimmy Dorsey, Bob Crosby, Jack Teagarden, Russ Morgan, and Louis Armstrong."

The source is here:
http://www.bigbandlibrary.com/bigbandnews.html
And go to August news...

26/6/2019 11:17 am  #2

Re: New Bing Sings Johnny Mercer CD

Yes, David, thanks for drawing attention to this.

In fact "Sounds of Yesteryear", responsible for issuing several very good compilations of tracks mixing studio, radio and movie material are just about to issue two CDs.

The first is "Bing Sings Burke and Van Heusen" with the following tracks - 

1. Humpty, Dumpty Heart from “Playmates” with Woody Herman Orchestra, July 30th 1941. 
2. Ain’t Got A Dime To My Name from “The Road To Morocco” with Vic Schoen Orchestra, June 10th 1942. 
3. Moonlight Becomes You from “The Road To Morocco” John Scott Trotter Orchestra, June 12th 1942. 
4. Sunday, Monday Or Always from “Dixie”with the AFRS Orchestra, Treasury Star Parade, 1945. 
5. If You Please from “Dixie”, with The Ken Darby Singers, Los Angeles, July 2nd 1943
6. It Could Happen To You from “And The Angels Sing”. John Scott Trotter Orchestra, December 29th 1943
7. Swinging On A Star from “Going My Way”, with The Williams Brothers Quartet and John Scott Trotter Orchestra, February 7th 1944. 
8. The Day After Forever from “Going My Way”, John Scott Trotter Orchestra, February 7th 1944. 
9. Going My Way from “Going My Way”, John Scott Trotter Orchestra, Los Angeles, February 7th 1944
10. Welcome To My Dream from “The Road To Utopia”, John Scott Trotter Orchestra, Los Angeles, July 17th 1944. 
11. Put It There, Pal from “The Road To Utopia”, with Bob Hope, Vic Schoen Orchestra, December 8th 1944. 
12. The Road To Morocco from “The Road To Morocco”, with Bob Hope, Vic Schoen Orchestra, December 8th 1944. 
13. Yah-Ta-Ta, Yah-Ta-Ta with Judy Garland and Joseph Lilley Orchestra, Los Angeles, March 9th 1945.
14. Aren’t You Glad You’re You? from “The Bells of St. Mary’s”, John Scott Trotter Orchestra, September 10th 1945. 
15. Personality from “The Road To Utopia”, with Eddie Condon Orchestra 3 and Wild Bill Davison, cornet, January 16th 1946. 
16. But Beautiful from “The Road To Rio”, John Scott Trotter Orchestra, radio broadcast, 1948. 
17. You Don’t Have To Know The Language from “The Road To Rio”, with The Andrews Sisters, Vic Schoen Orchestra, November 25th 1947.
18. Apalachicola, FLA with The Andrews Sisters, Vic Schoen OrchestraLos Angeles November 25th 1947. 
19. To See You Is To Love You, John Scott Trotter Orchestra, radio broadcast, Los Angeles 1952. 
20. “The Bells of St. Mary’s”, a radio adaptation of the movie, Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman and Joan Carroll, Screen Guild Theatre, August 26th 1946.

Note that the final track is of a full radio show extending to over 25 minutes

whilst the second, is, as you say  "Immersed in Mr Mercer's Verse"

The Burke - Van Heusen CD was due for issue some days ago but there seems to have been some delay. Just keep your eyes open for availability through the usual sources.
The Mercer CD is due towards he end of July as I understand it but I don't have track details yet.

26/6/2019 12:40 pm  #3

The Burke/Van Heusen CD is worth the price alone for the Bells Of St Mary's radio show.

27/6/2019 3:51 pm  #4

These BOTH look very tempting. When available please list here from where they can be ordered. Many thanks! 

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

17/7/2019 10:51 pm  #5

Amazon, both US and UK, are now listing both of these CDs, though I must admit to some surprise at the quoted UK prices.

Sings Burke and Van Heusen -
US 
UK

Immersed in Mr Mercer's Verse
US
UK

13/8/2019 12:19 pm  #6

Here is the info on the track listing for the Bing Sings Johnny Mercer CD:

https://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2019/08/new-cd-bing-crosby-immersed-in-mr.html

Board footera