05/3/2019 1:25 pm  #51

Re: Bing Recordings Listening To Now

Tuesday is my least favorite day of the week, but maybe Bing will help.

Here's the first five that came on my MP3:

1. When I Lost You (radio recording)
2. Stardust (1944 radio recording)
3. Takes Two To Make A Bargain
4. One More Time
5. I Can't Get Started (radio recording)

06/3/2019 3:57 pm  #52

I just uploaded a couple dozen more Bing recordings to my MP3 player so I am up to 512. I have a lot more to upload. Here is what I listened to on a Wednesday morning...

1. Sugar (with Louis Armstrong) -
This came from one of the best duet albums of all time in my opinion

2. Children - 
One of the Bing recordings that instantly causes me to tear up

3. A Faded Summer Love -
One of my favorite Bing numbers from the early Bing days!

4. Lazy River (with Louis Armstrong) -
This recording is pure audio aspirin for me - plus the cameo from Johnny Mercer is awesome!

5. Too Late -
Another great recording from Bing's 1931 period

07/3/2019 1:30 pm  #53

I woke up thinking it was Friday so I need some Bing for this Thursday morning. Here are the first five Bing recordings for today:

1. Dolores - 
I remember I had this recording on an old Blue label Decca record.

2. Row, Row, Row -
Another Bing revival of an old song. Great energy on this one.

3. April In Portugal -
One of the great songs from the overlooked Holiday In Europe album. Glad Sepia reissued it!

4. I've Got To Fall In Love Again -
Upbeat forgotten Bing number that I recently discovered.

5. The Girlfriend (with Tommy Dorsey) -
Another forgotten track that I have always liked. My favorite song writing team, Rodgers & Hart wrote this song too!

07/3/2019 3:08 pm  #54

Thank you David for assisting me, and I'm sure others, in pulling up past memories. My playing has tended to be of favourites that get repeated: your random approach has aided me in seeking out several forgotten gems that hide away on less repeated albums.

07/3/2019 3:54 pm  #55

Richard Baker wrote:

Thank you David for assisting me, and I'm sure others, in pulling up past memories. My playing has tended to be of favourites that get repeated: your random approach has aided me in seeking out several forgotten gems that hide away on less repeated albums.

I love having my player on random so I don't always listen to the same recordings. My favorite Bing recordings are Pennies From Heaven, Way Back Home, You Are Too Beautiful, and I Love You Samantha so I would listen to them again and again. When I have the music on random I get a great variety. All of the songs on my MP3 I like by Bing so the bad ones I leave off, but it forces me to listen to different recordings.

Last edited by Lobosco (07/3/2019 3:54 pm)

08/3/2019 1:45 pm  #56

It's Friday...

Here's my five for today (picked randomly by my MP3 player...

1. They All Laughed
***This is from another favorite album Bing did with Buddy Bregman***

2. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (television recording)
***I love this song and wish Bing would have recorded this commercially. This is from a 1970 TV special***

A Fine Romance
***This is one of my favorite early Bing duets. Dixie Lee was no great singer but she was a better singer than 2nd wife Kathryn***

4. Remember Me
***My Grandfather had this recording on an old 78. I still remember where the scratches were!

5. High Hopes
*** This is from my least favorite Bing records of all time "Thoroughly Modern Bing" but he does a good job with this Sinatra song***

08/3/2019 7:52 pm  #57

I should be playing White Christmas or I've got my love to keep me warm - by Les Brown, as the opening words are - the snow is falling.
And 'yesterday, when I was Young in Australia with about 90 degrees to here in Morton at 32 as the snow is falling,
No doubt - Spring will be a little late this year, as our man sings it, and probably a little later - raindrops keep falling on my head.

11/3/2019 12:51 pm  #58

This past weekend I uploaded a bunch more Bing to my MP3 player so now I am up to 597 tracks! That is not even close to all of Bing's output!

Here is what I listened to:

1. PS I Love You (1934 radio recording)
***This is one of my favorite Bing recordings that he never recorded commercially***

2. You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To (radio recording - with Ginny Simms)
***I think this is the only appearance Bing made with Ginny Simms***

3. Around The World
***One of the first Bing records I bought - I had it on 45rpm***

4. If I Loved You
***I thought the musical Carousel was so boring, but I have always liked this song and Bing's version***

5. Beautiful Memories
***I just re-discovered this from Bing's later recordings. I really like it and how Bing sings the song***

12/3/2019 4:30 pm  #59

Sorry for the delay this AM but I had/have computer issues at work.

Here are my first five for this Tuesday:

1. If You Were The Only Girl In The World (radio recording)
2. Mandy Is Two
3. Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart (radio recording)
4. All Alone
5. June In January (from Seasons album)

13/3/2019 12:13 pm  #60

Halfway done with the work week. Here is the first five this AM. I hope this inspires some people to dust off their Bing collection!

1. Little Green Apples (with Count Basie)
2. I'll Be Seeing You
3. The Magic Window
4. Save Your Sorrow
5. Last Night On The Back Porch

14/3/2019 12:17 pm  #61

Here are the first five for this Thursday:

1. Blue Skies
2. Constantly
3. Try A Little Tenderness (radio recording)
4. Misty (radio recording)
5. I Got Rhythm (1970s version)

Let me know if these threads are getting annoying...

15/3/2019 12:14 pm  #62

TGIF! 

Here are the first five Bing recordings I have listened to randomly today:

1. I've Got Plenty To Be Thankful For
2. The Streets Of Laredo
3. Ya Gotta Give The People Hoke (with Donald O'Connor)
4. Once And For Always
5. The Lonesome Road

15/3/2019 6:42 pm  #63

I'm listening to nothing but reading various reports about the tragic events in Christchurch, New Zealand.
A former Southern Cross branch of The Club Crosby - Thelma Hardy - lived in Christchurch and I visited her in 1962 and she showed me her special Christmas present from Bing. Thelma was President at the time. Southern Cross Branch represented New Zealand and Australia.
Perhaps I should listen the Maori Farewell - aka as Now Is The a Hour.

16/3/2019 1:59 am  #64

Ron Field wrote:

I'm listening to nothing but reading various reports about the tragic events in Christchurch, New Zealand.
A former Southern Cross branch of The Club Crosby - Thelma Hardy - lived in Christchurch and I visited her in 1962 and she showed me her special Christmas present from Bing. Thelma was President at the time. Southern Cross Branch represented New Zealand and Australia.
Perhaps I should listen the Maori Farewell - aka as Now Is The a Hour.

Regarding Now Is The Hour - that is one of the songs that was a big hit for Bing that I never cared for. The song Far Away Places is another song I don't care for. I can't pinpoint why.

Last edited by Lobosco (18/3/2019 12:00 pm)

18/3/2019 12:13 pm  #65

I uploaded some more Bing recordings to my mp3 player so now I am at 627!

A lot to pick from but here are the random first five for this Monday:
1. Let's Put Out The Lights And Go To Sleep
2. I've Got To Pass Your House
3. Once In A While
4. Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gave To Me (radio recording)
5. Looking At You 

Last edited by Lobosco (18/3/2019 12:13 pm)

19/3/2019 12:49 pm  #66

Here are five to lift my spirits on a Tuesday:

1. Blackball Ferry Lane (with The Andrews Sisters)
2. Ole Spring Fever
3. Undecided (radio recording)
4. Some Sunny Day
5. The Song Is Ended

19/3/2019 3:42 pm  #67

Hi David

Thanks for persevering with this... I find it very useful for reminding me of tracks which I haven’t heard for a while.

Going back a few posts, it’s strange what “does it” for some people and doesn’t for others. “Far Away Places” is one of my earliest Bing memories and I have always absolutely loved it - as I have “Now Is The Hour”. They are also both very easy to sing along and harmonise with..!

19/3/2019 7:15 pm  #68

Last night I was singing to myself the songs from 'Riding High' - Someplace on Anywhere Road', Sunshine Cake, Whiffenpoof Song, De Camptown Races, The horse told me.
Bing sent me the sheet music of the songs from the film.

20/3/2019 12:12 pm  #69

jeremyrose wrote:

Hi David

Thanks for persevering with this... I find it very useful for reminding me of tracks which I haven’t heard for a while.

Going back a few posts, it’s strange what “does it” for some people and doesn’t for others. “Far Away Places” is one of my earliest Bing memories and I have always absolutely loved it - as I have “Now Is The Hour”. They are also both very easy to sing along and harmonise with..!

I can not even pinpoint why I don't like the songs. I played Dinah Shore's version of Far Away Places, and it's the song that I don't like not Bing's performance. I was never a big fan of Swingin On A Star either. 

20/3/2019 12:15 pm  #70

Ron Field wrote:

Last night I was singing to myself the songs from 'Riding High' - Someplace on Anywhere Road', Sunshine Cake, Whiffenpoof Song, De Camptown Races, The horse told me.
Bing sent me the sheet music of the songs from the film.

Very underrated movie!

20/3/2019 1:01 pm  #71

Here are the first five on my play list today:
1. Sentimental Journey (radio recording)
2. And You'll Be Home (movie soundtrack recording)
3. Beautiful Dreamer
4. The Second Time Around
5. A New Moon Is Over My Shoulder (radio recording)

21/3/2019 12:02 pm  #72

First five Bing for Thursday:
1. The Possibility's There (with Peggy Lee)
2. Have A Nice Day (with Count Basie)
3. Them Were The Good Old Days (television recording)
4. One Sweet Letter From You
5. When I Lost You

22/3/2019 12:42 pm  #73

Archiefit wrote:

OK, I can't stand it anymore, you're now forcing me to list the last several songs I've heard from my computer's random play of songs, warning, I have a wide variety of artists and kinds of music that plays, not just Bing  (though if I put Bing in as a search for in the playlist it would only play Bing), get set:
Ballad of Palladin - Johnny Western
If There’s Anybody Here Bing w/Donald O’Connor
Never Trust A Woman – Tex Williams
It Takes A Heap of Living –Walter Brennan
Where The Blue of  The Night Meets Blue of the Day (1930’s version, but not Hawaiian version (thank goodness)
Jazz Legato – Leroy Anderson
Scarlet Ribbons – Jo Stafford
The Saint (TV show) Theme - Edwin Astley
Each time I have read these lists of "random" played songs I tell myself I'm going to list my most recent songs played too, but because I just don't listen to Bing only I have refrained, but couldn't take it anymore.

Hey Lee,

Can you not stand it or are you inspired? LOL. I love your list. I am especially a fan of Leroy Anderson and Jo Stafford is my favorite female singer. 

With about 3000 CDs and a ton of LPs and cassettes, Bing is my favorite singer but I listen to many other artists as well. At work now I just listen to Bing because he seems to relax me the most when I am stressed out. In the car or at home I listen to a favorite of jazz, big band, and vocals. When the kids are in the car, they like the younger fellas like The Beatles and Billy Joel so I let them listen to that.

Lee, maybe you can do a list weekly as well!

22/3/2019 12:49 pm  #74

TGIF! Here are my five I listened to this AM:

1. Between 18 and 19th On Chestnut Street  (with Connee Boswell)
2. The Lady Is A Tramp (radio recording)
3. Lady Of Spain (radio recording - this is the 1st recording I ever heard by Bing)
4. I'd Love To Live In Loveland
5. My Kinda Love (excellent 1929 version)

This weekend I will give my Bing listening a break. I am currently listening to some of Buddy Clark's radio recordings from his Contented Carnation radio show. Excellent vocals on them!

24/3/2019 8:11 pm  #75

Archiefit wrote:

Sometimes I like to listen to just Bing too, that's when I put Bing in on my search place on Media Player and then it will only play Bing songs, I generally do this on Saturdays.  Oh, there is one song that comes up sometimes and plays that is not a Bing recording, it's the Dean Martin song, "If I Could Sing Like Bing" other than that it's all Bing.  

I have always liked the Buddy Clark and Doris Day duets, I was surprised a year to 2 ago when I saw a picture of Buddy Clark, he looked a lot older than I had pictured him in my mind.

Jo Stafford is one of my favorite singers and one of the very best girl singers.  I especially love the way she holds a note so long and sings with such ease.  I think holding a note the way she does shows what a great singer she is, as opposed to modern day female singers who have that awful warbling yodel sound every time they open their mouth, holding a note today is never done.  I think it was Whitney Houston's example who ruined modern female singers forever.

I agree. Buddy Clark never was a good looking guy, and he was a ghost singer in Hollywood for awhile. By all accounts he was a great guy. What I like about Jo Stafford is she retired before she was past her prime. She stopped singing when her voice changed. So many great songbirds like Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, and Rosemary Clooney kept on singing way past when they should have. So my memory of Jo is that her voice was always perfect since she retired in 1970. 

Last edited by Lobosco (24/3/2019 8:11 pm)

Board footera