22/1/2019 2:30 pm  #1

What If Question

Here is a question I have been thinking about? Bing died of a massive heart attack in 1977, but given the medical advancements in 2019 - do you think he could have been saved if the medical advancements of today were there in 1977? 

Any doctors out there with opinions?

22/1/2019 4:59 pm  #2

Re: What If Question

Well, I'm not doctor, but I would say no, it sounds like it was massive and sudden. I doubt he could have gotten medical attention quickly enough for today's advancements to have made any difference. 

But...
I would say that today something may have been detected long before, and Bing may have benefited from preventive care, medications, etc. 

22/1/2019 6:21 pm  #3

Ron1972 wrote:

Well, I'm not doctor, but I would say no, it sounds like it was massive and sudden. I doubt he could have gotten medical attention quickly enough for today's advancements to have made any difference. 

But...
I would say that today something may have been detected long before, and Bing may have benefited from preventive care, medications, etc. 

Good points. I wonder if Bing hadn't fallen offstage in March of 1977, if he would have lived longer.

22/1/2019 7:32 pm  #4

Well now you're asking another question! Although I too wonder how much that fall may have affected Bing. 

Hey, I think we all wish that Bing has gotten to squeeze out one more album, or one more movie, but it's tough to go out in better fashion than Bing - showing that he could still make great music, still be a charismatic entertainer, and still play a great game of golf. 

As much as we might wish for one more great album after "Seasons", I could just as easily wish for the 60's to be a decade of better career choices!

30/1/2019 1:39 pm  #5

Ron1972 wrote:

Well now you're asking another question! Although I too wonder how much that fall may have affected Bing. 

Hey, I think we all wish that Bing has gotten to squeeze out one more album, or one more movie, but it's tough to go out in better fashion than Bing - showing that he could still make great music, still be a charismatic entertainer, and still play a great game of golf. 

As much as we might wish for one more great album after "Seasons", I could just as easily wish for the 60's to be a decade of better career choices!

I agree with you. I would not want Bing to live past his prime like Sinatra and Bob Hope did. Maybe 5 more years of recordings would be nice. It wasn't meant to be, and I happy what we got!

I agree the 1960s should have not happened at all for Bing for the most part!

21/5/2020 12:27 am  #6

I remember a quote from Bob Hope somewhere saying that Bing should only play 9 holes per his doctor instead of 18, which might of caused it. Although from the Day By Day book, this is what I read.
“When I arrived, he [Bing] was closeted with Dr. Sullivan. Upon news of my advent, he rushed out delightedly to welcome me.
On the other hand, the normally imperturbable ex-marine passed me by without a greeting, looking as if he’d just been confronted by a legion of ghosts.
It was many years later that I learned that Bing had told him the following: “I feel fine now but I’ve had unmistakable signs that I’m going soon. Promise me to take care of Kathryn and the children.”
“But I’m just an academic, and anything but a financial wizard, as you well know.
“Yes, but I trust you.”
“You can’t die. Everyone here needs you, myself included.”
“Sorry, but this is one thing that I can’t control. Will you promise?”
“Of course, but I find this inconceivable. Please don’t go.”
“I’ll do my best, but I rather doubt that we’ll meet again on this green planet. Good luck, Bill. You’ll need it.”
And Bing had come out grinning, while Dr. Sullivan stumbled off without a word to his mountain hideaway.“

Bing probably knew the end was soon, although he may not have died when he did or felt like this if he wouldn’t have fallen offstage earlier in the year, or if he would have let himself recover from the fall for a longer period of time.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

21/5/2020 10:36 am  #7

As it was so sudden probably not. However, as has been said, today people at risk, and those over a certain age, are often tested. There are stents, bypasses etc and medication. He might have still had his heart attack, but he might not. 

One of those great imponderables. 

Board footera