07/1/2019 12:56 am  #1

Bing on DVD versus Blu Ray

While going through my Bing film/TV collection this weekend, I noticed that I have none of Bing's films on blu-ray, with the exception of the Criterion "King of Jazz" blu-ray from last year. I know that there are only a few that have been released on blu-ray, but for those films that have been and for those on this board who are in possession of them, are there any films that noticeably *better* on blu-ray versus DVD. I suspect that "White Christmas" probably looks very good on blu-ray (I'm surprised this hasn't had a 4K release) - are there any others that are worth the upgrade?

Zane Johnson

07/1/2019 5:07 am  #2

Re: Bing on DVD versus Blu Ray

I own only one BluRay disc, that's Holiday Inn and that was only to be sure I have a back up copy of the colorized Holiday Inn since they don't sell it on DVD anymore the way I watch it still.  I still refuse to buy a Blu Ray player, so this Blu Ray version of Holiday Inn is strictly for a back-up colorized H.I. in an emergency situation if my DVD colorized version ever gets tired of looking great. 

But here's something interesting, this past Christmas time AMC ran White Christmas and when I tuned in for about one minute (for one I only watch White Christmas on Christmas night don't want to get sick of it by watching it over and over all thru December the way AMC showed it and when I do watch it it's uncut with no commercials from my DVD, AMC ruins everything with their endless commercials).  ANYWAY back to the point, for the HD version of AMC the picture was BEAUTIFULLY sharp and colorful.   Better even than my DVD version has ever looked.   I was shocked to see White Christmas look like a brand new movie in flawless shape. 

Now, I have no idea if the Blu Ray of White Christmas looks as good as AMC's HD broadcast, since I don't own either it or a Blu Ray player, but AMCs HD version was beautiful and better than my DVD quality, which up until I saw AMC I thought was excellent.

Last edited by Archiefit (07/1/2019 5:14 am)

07/1/2019 8:55 pm  #3

Re: Bing on DVD versus Blu Ray

Thank you for the input! The HD version of "White Christmas" that is streaming on Netflix looks quite good, as well, so I'm assuming they are from the same HD master?

Out of all of Bing's films, I figured that "White Christmas" stood the best chance of getting a 4K release. I will probably end up getting the blu ray, though - the odds of a 4K release are likely very slim.

Zane Johnson

Board footera