31/12/2018 3:47 pm  #1

A Quick Hello...

Happy New Year to all.  My name is Jack Cleveland, and I live on the Delmarva peninsula, right outside of Ocean City, MD, in the tiny town of Selbyville, DE.  I have always enjoyed Bing Crosby, both his movies and his recordings, but have very little of his recordings available.  I have some of the early Jonzo recordings, purchased years ago, and the blue Bing Crosby set, "It's Easy To Remember".  

I will probably post a few questions in other sections, but wanted to say hello, and hope to learn more about the amazing talent of Bing Crosby.

31/12/2018 7:24 pm  #2

Re: A Quick Hello...

Welcome to the board. If I can help you with your Bing collection in any way, please say the word!

31/12/2018 10:08 pm  #3

WELCOME JACK!!!!!

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

03/1/2019 12:37 am  #4

Thanks for your welcome...

I am really looking forward to getting to know you both!

05/1/2019 1:46 am  #5

It truly is a different time when it comes to collecting.  Thanks for the welcome Archiefit!

05/1/2019 3:34 pm  #6

Archiefit wrote:

When you start collecting one particular thing, it's pretty exciting.   So much to get, so much to find, so much to enjoy.   You almost don't know where to start, and with Bing there's an awful lot of stuff, audio records, radio shows and video TV shows and movies.   Good luck to you, in some ways I envy you're beginning.   But you're lucky you're starting now, it's a heck of a lot easier to find odd recordings and albums today and movies today than it was in the 1970's and 1980's.   The only way I could get old Bing albums was to scour Used Record album stores and all you could do was hope you'd find something you've never seen.   But, don't get me wrong it was FUN and then that moment you find an album you've been looking for after thumbing thru 100's of albums and then BING, there  it is, an album you don't have.  YESHHH!   Oh, it was doubly exciting to find something that you could only find if you were lucky.   Today, you go on the internet and you can find just about anything you want with a simple search.   No internet then to spoil you, you had to really SEARCH, not just type in a word and watch it all appear.

EXAMPLE:  Several years ago (2010) I was on my knees in a dusty old bookstore in Hollywood, CA (which also had some records) flipping thru what they had in boxes. Lo and behold! I found a sealed monaural copy of  "El Senor BING" that had a price sticker of $3.00! More amazing was the fact that the price tag had a date on it of "10-00" typed at the bottom right. I asked the clerk what that meant and he told me that it was the month/year the record was placed on the floor for sale!!!  So not only was the price a miracle, but here was a sealed copy some 50 years old which came from God knows where and laid on that store's floor for 10 years before anyone cared to buy it!!!! 

Last edited by paulmock (05/1/2019 3:34 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

05/1/2019 3:59 pm  #7

paulmock wrote:

Archiefit wrote:

When you start collecting one particular thing, it's pretty exciting.   So much to get, so much to find, so much to enjoy.   You almost don't know where to start, and with Bing there's an awful lot of stuff, audio records, radio shows and video TV shows and movies.   Good luck to you, in some ways I envy you're beginning.   But you're lucky you're starting now, it's a heck of a lot easier to find odd recordings and albums today and movies today than it was in the 1970's and 1980's.   The only way I could get old Bing albums was to scour Used Record album stores and all you could do was hope you'd find something you've never seen.   But, don't get me wrong it was FUN and then that moment you find an album you've been looking for after thumbing thru 100's of albums and then BING, there  it is, an album you don't have.  YESHHH!   Oh, it was doubly exciting to find something that you could only find if you were lucky.   Today, you go on the internet and you can find just about anything you want with a simple search.   No internet then to spoil you, you had to really SEARCH, not just type in a word and watch it all appear.

EXAMPLE:  Several years ago (2010) I was on my knees in a dusty old bookstore in Hollywood, CA (which also had some records) flipping thru what they had in boxes. Lo and behold! I found a sealed monaural copy of  "El Senor BING" that had a price sticker of $3.00! More amazing was the fact that the price tag had a date on it of "10-00" typed at the bottom right. I asked the clerk what that meant and he told me that it was the month/year the record was placed on the floor for sale!!!  So not only was the price a miracle, but here was a sealed copy some 50 years old which came from God knows where and laid on that store's floor for 10 years before anyone cared to buy it!!!! 

What a great story.  I assume that the disc itself was still in wonderful condition with no warps.  I know records can do that, even if still sealed.  Love the story, and look forward to future treasures found as I delve deeper into the Crosby recordings!

22/1/2019 8:12 am  #8

Welcome Jack, from an Aussie in Bathurst, a city of some 40000 people about 130 miles west of Sydney. I'd not heard of Selbyville before but many years ago drove through that part of the USA.

22/1/2019 2:06 pm  #9

JackCleveland wrote:

paulmock wrote:

Archiefit wrote:

What a great story.  I assume that the disc itself was still in wonderful condition with no warps.  I know records can do that, even if still sealed.  Love the story, and look forward to future treasures found as I delve deeper into the Crosby recordings!

Great story! I really miss the days of being a new collector of Bing. I have not found anything by accident in regards to Bing in years! There is nothing like the hunt for new material!

Board footera