27/11/2018 10:15 pm  #1


Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

Hi everyone!

Earlier this morning, Malcolm and I recorded our yearly Bing Crosby podcast. This is the third year we are doing this, and this year we've discussed our favorite albums by Bing Crosby. As usual, the conversation is rather long, but we had a great time chatting and hope you all will enjoy listening in as well. You may listen to our entire conversation here:




As always, any comments and reactions about the podcast are most welcome, either here or in the comments section under the video on the YouTube page itself!

And as we approach December, happy holidays everyone!!!

 

29/11/2018 2:39 pm  #2


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

Thanks Anton. That looks interesting! I'll download and listen during the Christmas holidays. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

 

 

30/11/2018 2:21 pm  #3


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

frans wrote:

Thanks Anton. That looks interesting! I'll download and listen during the Christmas holidays. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

 

Dank je, Frans! I hope you enjoy the podcast once you get to listen to it! Vrolijk kerstfeest! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

     Thread Starter
 

07/12/2018 7:42 am  #4


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

Wow! Anton and Malcolm, that's a marathon effort; very interesting. I'll just comment on one of your most and least preferred albums. When Bing-A Musical Autobiography was released in Australia in March 1955 there must have been some doubts about how well it would sell at twelve pounds per set. The doubters need not have been worried and an EMI manager was soon quoted as saying' We can sell as many of these as we can make'. In 1978 it was reported as selling more than 20,000 copies, achieving Gold Record status. As for Bing 'n' Basie, I don't have that album but the 1960s album Sinatra-Basie is one of my least preferred Sinatra albums.

 

31/12/2018 3:50 pm  #5


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

I just spent some time last night and this morning, and appreciated the insights.  I am in the process of purchasing a restored Magnavox stereo console, and would like to have a few vinyl Bing Crosby albums to listen to when it appears.  I have the Longines Symphonette set, but just found out that there are very few recorded vocals on it by Bing, quite a disappointment.  Sounds like I should get a copy of the Bing Musical Autobiography from the 1950s... any other recommendations?

Jack

 

31/12/2018 7:26 pm  #6


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

Great podcast as always!

 

31/12/2018 11:08 pm  #7


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

JackCleveland wrote:

I just spent some time last night and this morning, and appreciated the insights.  I am in the process of purchasing a restored Magnavox stereo console, and would like to have a few vinyl Bing Crosby albums to listen to when it appears.  I have the Longines Symphonette set, but just found out that there are very few recorded vocals on it by Bing, quite a disappointment.  Sounds like I should get a copy of the Bing Musical Autobiography from the 1950s... any other recommendations?

Jack

I think a "must have" is "Fancy Meeting You Hear" with Rosemary Clooney. It's one I have on MP3 and then went and purchased the vinyl just to be able to occasionally spin it. 

Actually I think several of the albums Crosby did during this period are worth owning, "Bing With a Beat", "Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings", "Songs I Wish I Had Sung The First Time Around", "Some Fine Old Chestnuts"  These are all albums that I have on CD or MP3 but would LOVE to have on record!

I think the podcast mentions "Feels Good, Feels Right", and it's a great album to pick up on vinyl because copies on CD are VERY pricey!

Another one that is expensive to get on CD is "Holiday In Europe". Now a new release on CD is due in February, but if you can't wait that long why not grab it on vinyl now?

Of course, a little late for it now but any of Bing's Christmas albums are a must own to spin on the record player once that time of year rolls around again. 

To me the fun of vinyl is some of the bargains you can find out there so no matter what you pick up, just have fun discovering those songs you can have "for a song". 

 

31/12/2018 11:11 pm  #8


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

Anton, Malcolm, I just got around to listening to this and have to echo that boy what a marathon effort - and great fun listening to the two of you discuss your top 5 and a few others. It was nice to hear that a few of your top 5, would be in my top 5 too!

 

01/1/2019 2:29 pm  #9


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

Ron1972 wrote:

JackCleveland wrote:

I just spent some time last night and this morning, and appreciated the insights.  I am in the process of purchasing a restored Magnavox stereo console, and would like to have a few vinyl Bing Crosby albums to listen to when it appears.  I have the Longines Symphonette set, but just found out that there are very few recorded vocals on it by Bing, quite a disappointment.  Sounds like I should get a copy of the Bing Musical Autobiography from the 1950s... any other recommendations?

Jack

I think a "must have" is "Fancy Meeting You Hear" with Rosemary Clooney. It's one I have on MP3 and then went and purchased the vinyl just to be able to occasionally spin it. 

Actually I think several of the albums Crosby did during this period are worth owning, "Bing With a Beat", "Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings", "Songs I Wish I Had Sung The First Time Around", "Some Fine Old Chestnuts"  These are all albums that I have on CD or MP3 but would LOVE to have on record!

I think the podcast mentions "Feels Good, Feels Right", and it's a great album to pick up on vinyl because copies on CD are VERY pricey!

Another one that is expensive to get on CD is "Holiday In Europe". Now a new release on CD is due in February, but if you can't wait that long why not grab it on vinyl now?

Of course, a little late for it now but any of Bing's Christmas albums are a must own to spin on the record player once that time of year rolls around again. 

To me the fun of vinyl is some of the bargains you can find out there so no matter what you pick up, just have fun discovering those songs you can have "for a song". 

Thanks for the Rosemary/Bing recommendation.  I will definitely look for that, as I love her voice a lot, especially when it is with Bing.  Not fond of "A Musical Autobiography" Ron?

 

01/1/2019 3:14 pm  #10


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

Hello Jack, I don't have "A Musical Autobiography" in my collection (yet). That's why I didn't suggest it. 

I do have some of the tracks that Bing recorded new for it, because they were included in some of the Sepia "Through The Years" volumes. I do like those cuts, although they're sort of abbreviated from the original versions. 

 

01/1/2019 3:27 pm  #11


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

Ron1972 wrote:

Hello Jack, I don't have "A Musical Autobiography" in my collection (yet). That's why I didn't suggest it. 

I do have some of the tracks that Bing recorded new for it, because they were included in some of the Sepia "Through The Years" volumes. I do like those cuts, although they're sort of abbreviated from the original versions. 

OK- Understood.  I'm right now kicking myself that I didn't grab the Jonzo stuff while I could.  Looks like a real problem!
 

 

01/1/2019 7:04 pm  #12


Re: Malcolm & Anton's Yearly Bing Podcast: Our Favorite Crosby Albums

JackCleveland wrote:

I just spent some time last night and this morning, and appreciated the insights.  I am in the process of purchasing a restored Magnavox stereo console, and would like to have a few vinyl Bing Crosby albums to listen to when it appears.  I have the Longines Symphonette set, but just found out that there are very few recorded vocals on it by Bing, quite a disappointment.  Sounds like I should get a copy of the Bing Musical Autobiography from the 1950s... any other recommendations?

Jack

Jack, you ask specifically about vinyl to play on your restored Magnavox.
My own view is that a good starting point is to take a look at the listing by Steven Lewis to which he adds gradings relating to his view of the quality. Personally I think his views are sound. 

The Autobiography set is very good for the period from 1940 on, but it is important that you should understand that the earlier songs were new recordings with a small group with the songs very much shortened. They are not representative of the originals, though enjoyable in their own right.
 
Steven Lewis' listing covers recordings made in the LP era (apart from his coverage of "Bing's Hollywood" so if your preference is for earlier recordings, and you wish to stick with LP,  there is a need to seek out the many compilations that were issued in the LP era. Most follow some theme, and personally I would have some difficulty in being too specific about recommendations - it all depends on your tastes - the era and style of music to which you find yourself attracted. The Bing's Hollywood series of 15 LPs (though sold individually) is first class. They consist of studio recordings of songs from Bing's films in more or less chronological order, but when they appear on the used market fancy prices are sometimes asked.
Bing and The Dixieland Bands is one of my own favourites , as are the LPs of Irish songs (Shillelaghs and Shamrocks and When Irish Eyes Are Smiling) and the Western compilation albums (Rhythm On the Range and Twilight On the Trail).

I have touched on prices.  Many entries on eBay are downright opportunistic and highly optimistic. You have to remember that whilst there are rarities, Bing, in his day, sold large numbers and prices ought, but often don't, reflect that.
A more reliable guide and effective market-place, is Discogs,  which also shows prices actually achieved. 

PS Be warned that there are some recent LPs on the market which originate from Russia and which make various claims about quality. They are entirely unofficial issues which replicate the original sleeves. In fact, whilst they are pressed in high quality (and heavyweight)  vinyl, the audio quality is very inferior against the originals.  

Last edited by Richard Baker (03/1/2019 7:03 pm)

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

Spread the word about CROSBY FAN WORLD http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com