15/4/2011 8:24 am  #1

Bing photos

I have recently been alerted to the Bing photos held in the Johnny Mercer collection at Georgia State University. Have a look at http://dlib.gsu.edu/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=any&CISOBOX1=Bing+Crosby&CISOFIELD1=CISOSEARCHALL&CISOROOT=all
Some great pictures there, many of which were new to me.

15/4/2011 9:49 pm  #2

Re: Bing photos

An interesting find, Malcolm. 
Thank you for pointing it out.
Some interesting stuff from the Westwood Marching and Chowder Club, The Bing Crosby Show, golfing, various combinations of friends and associates. Most are precisely identified and dated.

Some are tagged with Bing's name without him being in the picture, which might suggest some other involvement (present at the activity perhaps?). Some possible research here?

16/4/2011 4:54 pm  #3

A good collection of photos. However, I would beg to differ that the bloke in photo 33 is NOT Pat O'Brien as it suggests. It is certainly Pat in photo 32 and 34. So, I wonder who that bloke is.

16/4/2011 5:08 pm  #4

Looking further through the photos, I think they have got mixed up a couple of times. 'The Thalians', I think, is Gary, Dennis and Phil and not Lindsay. And why do they show Lindsay (1938-1939) when other photos show birth/death year? But a fine collection of Bing photos that I've never seen before and probably a lot of us Crosbynuts haven't seen either.

12/6/2011 12:24 am  #5

This is probably as good a place as any for this posting.
Was watching 'Advise and Consent' - well the tail end of it anyway. Good cast - Franchot Tone, Pidgeon, Laughton, Geer and a few others. I got in to my iPod to check on a couple of things.
Looked up Franchot Tone as I remember a film he was in and he was a pilot with the RAF and shot down in occupied Europe. He was in a restaurant and there was a bottle/jar of something but it was a Kraft product. He scratched out the 'K' and the 'T' leaving RAF to let the waiter know. The waiter gets the message and brings him back a sandwich. The waiter tells him if there is something between the bread it is a sandwich, otherwise it is not. There was 'something' and it was a wallet and some cash. Always remember that scene.
Anyway, I looked up Tone's list of films and scrolled down to 'Here Comes The Groom' and has Bing's photo.
Click into this and then click on 'more photos' and there are a number of Bing photos. The main photo I've never seen before and in the collection of photos there are a couple more as well as from scenes from his films. Quite a nice little piece.

Board footera