21/4/2017 3:16 pm  #1

BING magazine

Many of you are wondering what's happened to the spring issue. UK members should receive their copies next week. Perry Huntoon, who will be distributing the USA copies, is away from home at present and will not be back until May 8. So USA members will probably have to wait until mid-May for their copies. My apologies for this but the problems with so many USA members not renewing promptly meant that Wig has had to send out many letters chasing non-payers before he could confidently say how many copies he needed for his members. In turn we could not tell the printer how many magazines he should print overall until we had Wig's input. 

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (21/4/2017 3:18 pm)

01/5/2017 1:58 pm  #2

Re: BING magazine

02/5/2017 12:47 am  #3

And tomorrow ( from where I'm writing in Australia) is birthday day for our man.

22/7/2017 10:47 am  #4

The summer issue of BING magazine is now being distributed. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING176.html for further details.

14/8/2017 12:49 am  #5

Just received mine. About to open the envelope.

27/10/2017 12:09 pm  #6

The winter issue of BING magazine is being sent to the printers and you should receive it by the end of November. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING177.html

28/10/2017 7:02 am  #7

Super! Looking forward to it already - well done, Malcolm!

29/10/2017 7:54 am  #8

Yes, Malcolm, Well done. You round up the contributors, whip them through the starting gate and successfully manage to get them to the finishing line. Another target date achieved! If only the issuers of CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays etc gave more sympathetic consideration to the timing of their announcements - - - !
"High Tor" will not be covered! 

10/3/2018 6:29 am  #9

The spring edition of BING magazine is being prepared and should be available early next month. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING178.html

10/3/2018 9:28 am  #10

I'm looking forward to it, Malcolm.

10/3/2018 8:57 pm  #11

I am looking forward to receiving the new issue, Malcolm! As always, it's a pleasure working with you!

AGF

12/3/2018 2:00 am  #12

That's great news Malcolm.

20/7/2018 5:40 pm  #13

The summer edition of BING magazine is at the printers and should be available early in August.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (20/7/2018 5:41 pm)

23/7/2018 8:46 am  #14

I am looking forward to it!

19/8/2018 11:24 pm  #15

Magazine has arrived and I'm just about finished reading it.
As Malcolm stated - no obits this issue but Mary Carlisle  will have to wait for next issue.
And a reminder here - Sunday 7th. October at 2.00pm at the Roxy Theatre, Morton,WA (that is Washington State about 100 mile from Seattle and Portland) and not Western Australia I will be screening Errol Flynn's very first film - In Wake of the Bounty - playing Fletcher Christian, a role Clark Gable played a couple of years later. Errol was 23/24.
Also the six Bing Mack Sennett shorts. Admission $5.00.
So those in the west - come to Morton, go to the pictures Saturday night and see Bing on Sunday. Have good accommodation available too.

16/11/2018 3:34 pm  #16

The latest edition of BING magazine has been sent to the printers and should be available early in December. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING180.html

17/11/2018 7:04 am  #17

Yes, it's planned  for February / March. There will be a insert in the magazine to order it.

17/11/2018 3:04 pm  #18

Not just a holiday in Europe but something of a world tour.

Something to look forward to as we start to emerge (at least in the northern hemisphere), from the depths of winter, with a lengthy international song tour beckoning.

Get your maps out and consider the places that Bing visited in song!

17/11/2018 7:27 pm  #19

Might even have 'Kookaburra sings in the old gum tree" but probably not waltzing Matilda or The road to Gundagai.
That's a film that Bing, Bob and Dottie could have made - The Road to Gundagai - and the song was already composed. They may have run into Dad and Dave.
For non-Aussies. There was a radio serial called Dad and Dave and a woman named Mabel and a song about 'my Mabel waits for me.
Ah! What could have been.

17/11/2018 11:39 pm  #20

Ron Field wrote:

Might even have 'Kookaburra sings in the old gum tree" but probably not waltzing Matilda or The road to Gundagai.
That's a film that Bing, Bob and Dottie could have made - The Road to Gundagai - and the song was already composed. They may have run into Dad and Dave.
For non-Aussies. There was a radio serial called Dad and Dave and a woman named Mabel and a song about 'my Mabel waits for me.
Ah! What could have been.

Ron, though Bing sang There's Nothing I Haven't Sung About he did not cover much in the way of Aussie songs though I can well imagine him with Waltzing Matilda. Not so certain about the The Road To Gundagai, a real old Aussie bush song. 

But to return to the point, the promised CD covers easterly points but not as far south as your home country.
Though come to think of it, there might be just one title of a more global all - encompassing nature.

18/11/2018 11:48 pm  #21

Archiefit wrote:

Bing did sing that immortal Aussie classic in a radio show, "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts".

"Archiefit", I'm afraid you are mistaken. It's not Australian. 

"I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" was written in 1944 (original spelling was "Cocoanuts") by the English songwriters Harold Elton Box, Desmond Cox, and Lewis Ilda using the collective pseudonym of Fred Heatherton.

It became very popular in the UK and was usually performed with strong cockney accents so that for example "lovely" became "luverly". It was frequently performed in community sing-alongs. 

In the US it was recorded by Freddy Martin & Merv Griffin with a very poor imitation of London cockney accents and was something of a hit. (I suspect that it might possibly have been heard by US servicemen in the UK and "taken back" on their return, as happened with some other songs).

In the UK the most popular version was with the Billy Cotton Band, with vocal by Alan Breeze, though surprisingly that recording was made later, in 1950.

It was performed by Bing on the Chesterfield radio shows of 30 November and 28 December 1949.
Various other performers recorded it and it has been used as background "scene setting" on TV and film. 

19/11/2018 6:36 pm  #22

Bing does do a quick version of 'Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree'.
Or is it sings instead of sits?

29/11/2018 2:59 pm  #23

I'm looking forward to the new magazine, Malcolm.

25/3/2019 5:27 pm  #24

The next BING magazine is being prepared. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING181.html

26/3/2019 2:41 am  #25

Nice cover photo, Malcolm.
Guess you and Pat have suntans.

Board footera