23/10/2018 7:06 pm  #1

Hey Folks! New Member Here

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m from West Covina, CA and about to turn 34 soon, married, and have 2 boys. At a very young age, I was introduced to Bing Crosby by my Grandmother. She loved variety of music and inspired me to feel the same. As I’m sure most of you here, I put Bing up there before the rest! He inspires me to sing, live and appreciate life and I am happy to find a place to share his Legacy. Also, I’ve recently created an Appreciation Group dedicated to Bingo on Facebook, for anyone interested to join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/696175184096565/

Thank you!

Last edited by Gary Rise (23/10/2018 7:49 pm)

"Would you like to swing on a star, carry moonbeams home in a jar and be better off than you are..."

01/11/2018 6:37 am  #2

Re: Hey Folks! New Member Here

Welcome Gary. When I was a lad living in Melbourne, Australia, there was no TV so the radio was the main source of our home entertainment and we couldn't avoid listening to Bing's records.There were only seven radio stations in Melbourne in 1947 and in any week there were seven hours of programs devoted to playing only Crosby recordings. No other artist came close to that.

01/11/2018 9:47 pm  #3

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Welcome Gary. When I was a lad living in Melbourne, Australia, there was no TV so the radio was the main source of our home entertainment and we couldn't avoid listening to Bing's records.There were only seven radio stations in Melbourne in 1947 and in any week there were seven hours of programs devoted to playing only Crosby recordings. No other artist came close to that.

Yes, Gary, Welcome.

Graham, I trust that you were not seeking to avoid those Crosby recordings.

In the 40s/early 50s I was growing up in South Africa. We had two radio stations - SABC (South African Broadcasting Corporation) on medium wave and a commercial station beaming in from what was then the Portuguese territory of Mozambique (then also known as Portuguese East Africa) - Radio Lorenzo Marques, broadcasting in English.

SABC was closely modelled on the British BBC and indeed carried many relays from BBC, whilst Radio Lorenzo Marques had an eclectic mix of American and British pop of the time, and of earlier years as looking back on it I'm fairly convinced that they may have been some years behind the times). And yes, Bing was pretty prominent there as well, though I'm none too certain that I was fully aware of him. I absorbed the songs but it was only when I heard them again in later years that I remembered the hours of hearing and enjoying them (more or less surreptitiously when I was supposed to be doing some school homework) and was able to associate them with Bing.

20/12/2018 4:07 pm  #4

Gary Rise wrote:

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m from West Covina, CA and about to turn 34 soon, married, and have 2 boys. At a very young age, I was introduced to Bing Crosby by my Grandmother. She loved variety of music and inspired me to feel the same. As I’m sure most of you here, I put Bing up there before the rest! He inspires me to sing, live and appreciate life and I am happy to find a place to share his Legacy. Also, I’ve recently created an Appreciation Group dedicated to Bingo on Facebook, for anyone interested to join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/696175184096565/

Thank you!

Welcome Gary! I am 44, and I have two children as well. My Grandfather introduced me to Bing! I'm not on facebook anymore, but I'd love to talk to you more! I have a blog dedicated to Bing, and my You Tube channel features a lot of Bing. 

Shoot me an email. Us Bing fans have to stick together! My email is davidlobosco@yahoo.com

20/12/2018 7:41 pm  #5

Growing up in Sydney (there is really only ONE Sydney), radio stations used to be on air from about 5.00am to midnight. One station always started with Bing 'Start the day right' and close off with 'When Day is Done' (I closed my Bing radio show with this but started with 'Going My Way').
Some stations had special Bing programmes and he was heard a lot.
Some had 'Hit Parade' and I used to write and ask them to play Bing's version, which they mostly did - E.g. Doris Day's big hit was 'Secret Love' but I asked for Bing and as a variety they would play it.
Anyway, welcome aboard.

Board footera