26/9/2018 1:07 am  #76

Re: BEST OF BING CROSBY SPECIALS - TIME LIFE

Yes Jeremy, tend to agree with you about going through watching the shows as I just finished number 6 and once again the scissors have been put into action. Quite disappointing and disgusting really that the Crosby people allowed these to be put out as they have been.

26/9/2018 2:18 am  #77

Ron, you mentioned you did enjoy the Bing Dublin G. O'Reilley special.   Knowing Time Life's penchant for re-using discs from previous commercial releases, is the disc of the Dublin special light olive green in background with the name "A Little Bit Of Irish" in typed white and Bing Crosby's name in yellow sort of fancy style?   If so, this is the exact same disc that was already released in 2006.   I know Time re-used the same disc as from Carol Burnett's previously released set.   So, figures they're recycling the same 2006 discs again. 

Well, while I'm really disappointed and disheartened to realize how chopped up this set is, I still will be buying it after I work up some more courage and ability to ignore the wrongs in this set.   I still wish they had left OUT all of the previously released commercial Bing discs, the "Legendary" disc, the Dublin disc, the Burnett disc, the many Bing TV specials that were ALREADY released a few short years ago from the now seemingly defunct Bing company called "Bing Crosby Television Specials" both Volumes 1 & 2 (HEY, Bing company, whatever happened to Bing Television Specials Volume 3, 4, 5, 6 and beyond??????) itself, the many times already released Bing-Sinatra Christmas disc, the Cooling It Dean-Bing special, all of the previously released Bing Christmas TV specials.   All of that could have been left OUT of the Time Life set and we'd all be very happy campers.   What is valuable to see still in this set even if it is chopped up unmercilessly, is the Astaire-BIng Christmas, the Gleason-Bing Christmas, Argentine concert, Bing 50th Anniv show, Bing & Friends & I suppose the Hope highlights thing.  That's all I really want to buy, the rest is a waste of my money.  I bet if they had just stuck to these the price would have been at least 1/2 what the cost is now.  If this was the case I'd have bought it already without all the trepidation I have now.

Last edited by Archiefit (26/9/2018 2:21 am)

26/9/2018 5:18 am  #78

Irish and George titles were in green but a bit pale now due to time.

26/9/2018 8:12 am  #79

The Time Life DVD labels all have a standard “in-house” design, but I think I’ve got the release of “A Little Bit of Irish” Archiefit is talking about. It’s on the Varese Sarabande label and I don’t think it’s the source for the Time Life disc because although the picture quality on the TL is acceptable enough, it’s noticeably sharper and brighter on the VS release.

05/10/2018 3:03 am  #80

Have worked my way through and just finished vieŵing the 3 Christmas DVD's 75/76/77.
Yet again some one has gone mad with the scissors, chopping here and there Willey-nilly.
So far I'm finding the set disappointing with the way the DVD's have been cut even in a medley.
We fans try like heck to keep Bing in the frame as much as possible but I don't think we've been treated too fairly with this set.
On another note - on Sunday showing Bing's 6 Mack Sennett shorts at the Morton Roxy at 2.00pm - $5.00 admission, plus Errol Flynn's first film

08/10/2018 12:55 am  #81

We had 25 paying punters at the Roxy for the Bing/Errol screening, plus a camera exhibition.
They seemed to have enjoyed the programme.
Would have liked a few more but there were more than the regular Friday & Saturday night
Regular movies combined, so that pleased me.

Board footera