08/6/2018 2:17 pm  #1

Hi from the DC area

Hi,
My name is Kurt, and I live in the Washington, DC, area.  I’ve enjoyed Bing’s music since seeing his Christmas shows while I was growing up in the 1960s.  In the 1990s, I became a more serious fan after hearing more of Bing’s music on Hot Jazz Saturday Night, a long-running radio show in the DC area.  That show also told me about the International Crosby Circle (now the Int. Club Crosby), and I soon joined after being put in touch with the very helpful US representative, who also provided me with the entire Jonzo series over the years. 

Like many fans, I’m looking forward to the second volume of Gary Giddins’ Crosby biography.  I’ve recently been very happy with the CDs put out by the Crosby family and enjoy the Mosaic set of transcription recordings.  I don’t have a lot of Crosby memorabilia, but I’ve managed to find the original 78 rpm album from Holiday Inn, the 45 rpm box set of Bing’s Musical Autobiography, and a decanter issued in conjunction with his golf tournament.

I look forward to many interesting discussions of Bing and his talents!

--Kurt

Last edited by Kurt (08/6/2018 2:19 pm)

02/7/2018 7:13 am  #2

Re: Hi from the DC area

G'day Kurt. I've just read and responded to your post on Hot Jazz Saturday Night. Your box set of Bing's Musical Autobiography reminded me that after the LP set was released in Australia in March 1955 a writer in a Sydney daily newspaper quoted a local record company executive in December of that year:  'We wondered if anybody would pay 12 pounds for four hours of Bing ... We need not have worried. We can sell as many of these as we can make.' By 1978 it was reported that more than 20,000 copies had been sold.

Board footera