30/12/2017 8:04 pm  #1

Bing Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook

I added a few new albums to my collection and noticed "Bing Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook". I searched the forum looking to see if there had been much conversation about this album and was disappointed to find very little written about it. 

So forum friends, thoughts on this collection? I hate to buy something just for the sake of buying it but if it offers selections not easily found elsewhere I certainly would be interested in it. 

Again looking forward to your feedback!

31/12/2017 12:43 am  #2

Re: Bing Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook

Ron1972 wrote:

I added a few new albums to my collection and noticed "Bing Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook". I searched the forum looking to see if there had been much conversation about this album and was disappointed to find very little written about it. 

So forum friends, thoughts on this collection? I hate to buy something just for the sake of buying it but if it offers selections not easily found elsewhere I certainly would be interested in it. 

Again looking forward to your feedback!

Ron, 
The issue was one of a large number issued simultaneously by Bing Crosby Enterprises/UMG in 2014, and was probably a little overlooked simply because it was part of a rather overwhelming batch.

In "Keeping Track", issue #169 of BING magazine I wrote  

When I first saw details of this issue I felt that it was likely to be the best of the crop. The selection of songs written by one of the greats from the Golden Age could hardly be better though some might quibble over the precise selection. Personally I would have liked fewer tracks from commercial issues, which have been widely available. Several tracks are from early-ish radio and are welcome for that alone. Two tracks are from one of the major neglected sources, the “Longines” recordings.

I went on to mention differences in audio levels between tracks, and noted that on one track I could hear a small amount of peak level distortion. I don't think that you will be disappointed in your purchase but some of the commercially issued takes have been on a number of other CDs and you might have some duplication.  

31/12/2017 2:25 am  #3

Thanks Richard!

I left this one in the shopping cart, after listening to the audio samples it just didn't grab me enough to pull the trigger on buying this time around. Though I still welcome anyone who wants to make an argument in favor of purchasing it.  

31/12/2017 9:38 am  #4

If we want further CD issues from the family we really have to support what they put out. How much are we talking about?

31/12/2017 10:43 am  #5

I agree with Malcolm. I just got the two new releases and they are wonderful. OK - some of the tracks may be already familiar, but: 1. You get excellent sound quality, 2. unknown songs alone are worth the purchase and 3. There's 'beauty in the mix', meaning that there is a interesting context to the album compilations.

Last edited by frans (31/12/2017 10:44 am)

31/12/2017 1:23 pm  #6

Worth every penny this set. Sure its a compilation, and there is duplication, however collecting all these Irving Berlin tracks on one set is fantastic.

When I Lost You may simply be one of the most effecting songs Irving ever wrote, given it was written following the death of his own young bride. The Song is Ended (But The Melody Lingers On) may be one of my favourite late period Crosby performances. 

Irving had a fantastic way of writing the tunes.....Bing was undoubtedly the best at delivering them.

I will be absolutely honest.....I detest the version of White Christmas with Michael Buble added. Completely unnecessary and in my opinion Buble is no better than a pub/club singer. Other may disagree though.

Malcolm's right though....these sets are not particularly expensive (especially in the USA), well produced, great notes....and if we can't even get folks on a Bing Crosby Forum to make the purchases then we can probably kiss goodbye to further collections. 

I am not a particular fan of Bing's sing along albums, however I've purchased each one that has come out, knowing they will probably just gather dust on my shelf.....however also knowing that my continued support may encourage the release of sets I would prefer.

Treat yourself.....an extra late Christmas present to yourself.

31/12/2017 1:32 pm  #7

I had no intention of dissuading you from getting this CD, Ron.

It is a very good mix of songs from Irving Berlin who was a giant during the "golden age".
In trying to produce a balanced view and noting a few mildly adverse points I had no intention of tipping the scales too far.

PLUS POINTS
- A fantastic array of the best from Berlin sung by Bing, one of the performers best qualified to do so.
- Some hard to come by tracks and a few unique.
- In general very good sound.

NOT QUITE SO POSITIVE POINTS
- Slightly variable sound levels between tracks (but nothing that cannot be resolved by use of volume control).
- Some of the tracks will already be owned on other CDs possibly several times over by many fans.

NEGATIVE POINTS
- Some distortion of a track or two that might be noticed by those with higher quality equipment.

As I said earlier, you will not be disappointed.

31/12/2017 2:00 pm  #8

I really appreciate the feedback!

Richard you did not dissuade me, and Malcolm and Kevin I agree that these releases must be supported to make future releases viable.

I opted not to buy the Berlin but that was because I was trying to choose between it and LeBing! I decided I was more interested in an official album than a compilation.

However my Christmas list included many Bing items which I received, including the two newest and the Sinatra Songbook.

After the holiday I picked up the aforementioned LeBing and Songs I Wish I Had Sung, Some Fine Old Chestnuts, AND the Bing Sings The Johnny Mercer Songbook!

I am sure the Berlin disc will come somewhere down the line, I just decided these should come first and was surprised not to see more chatter about it. (Maybe we've solved that!)

01/1/2018 2:53 pm  #9

Oh......Le Bing!!!......good call.....one of my favourites... such an unusual one in the Bing catalogue....being sung in French and all....Tu Ne Peux Pas Te Figurer is simply magnificant.

You've  got a good amount of quality Bing to listen to though....these are all excellent (read critical) sets...should get you through the dark winter nights......the two new sets New Tricks and Among My Souviners are on constatnt rotation in my car currently.

To help with some context; of the songbooks (Sinatra, Mercer, Berlin ) the Berlin one is my favourite. I found the Sinatra one an oddball, because most of these songs are so strongly associated with Sinatra, and when i'm in the mood for listening to these songs, I must admit I pick out the Sinatra albums first...so its one I maybe need to listen to more, and your mentioning of it may push me to do so. The Mercer set is fantastic (P.S I Love You 1953 is another of my favourites), but I prefer Berlin as a songwriter. 

Linking both Berlin and Sinatra.....Sinatra's All Alone album is one of my favorite of his albums and contains 4 amazing renditions of Berlin songs also...All Alone, What'll I Do, Remember & The Song Is Ended. If you not familar with it, its a great album........although buy Bing first!!!

Last edited by Kevin (01/1/2018 3:17 pm)

01/1/2018 8:23 pm  #10

Happy New Year Kevin! I really appreciate and am enjoying your reply. 

I hope to cover some of these in future posts but for Christmas I asked for and received:
Bing Sings The Sinatra Songbook - I'm not enough of a Sinatra fan to have his versions imprinted in my head (I think)
Through The Years Volume 8 - I was able to download every volume but 8 legally through my local library
Good & Rare 3 - Volumes 1 & 2 are available to me through my library but not 3. Also the BSWBS tracks interested me.
Thoroughly Modern Bing - Currently on backorder
Among My Souvenirs - Just purchasing it because it was the new thing
New Tricks - I already own this but haven't really listened to it as part of the twofer with Some  Fine Old Chestnuts but decided to get the deluxe edition. 

After Christmas I decided to pick up:
Le Bing, Some Fine Old Chestnuts, & Songs I Wish I Had Sung The First Time Around - someone pointed out to me in another post the essays alone make these worth getting that and the extra tracks and remastering. 
Bing Sings The Johnny Mercer Songbook - It was on Amazon with Autorip for just a little over $7 seemed too good not to grab!

Come to think of it that IS a lot of Bing! 

Last edited by Ron1972 (01/1/2018 8:25 pm)

10/1/2018 7:12 pm  #11

RE:   Christmas with Bing!

Thanks Kevin, I do have that discography link but the CD I have is not listed there.   It did get a Crosby Enterprises endorsement and I have some idea of most of the tracks but no real Liner Notes to speak of...it is not listed in Discogs or Allmusic in any great detail...anyway...will keep looking but thank you!  Jim A, west Tennessee

15/1/2018 11:06 pm  #12

Richard

must be a technical glitch as I see some of the posts have gone missing from this thread......

16/1/2018 2:19 am  #13

Hmmm, missing posts? Now I'm wondering what I'm missing out on!

I did however just pick up "Bing Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook" first listen has been very positive!

Board footera