12/12/2017 9:18 pm  #1

Bing Crosby as Christmas Singer: Conversation with Malcolm Macfarlane

Dear everyone,

A year ago, Malcolm and I recorded a podcast in which we talked about Bing Crosby as a jazz singer. Well, this year we've gotten together again thanks to the magic of the internet and have recorded a conversation about Bing as a Christmas singer.

If you're snowbound or there's a bus strike or something you may be interested in listening to it, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AKgONkLDgU 

Let us know what you think, and happy holidays everyone!

AGF

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (12/12/2017 9:19 pm)

14/12/2017 3:44 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby as Christmas Singer: Conversation with Malcolm Macfarlane

Great job guys! I should have made notes to comment on while I listened!

To share some thoughts:

"White Christmas" - there have been so many covers of this done but I think Bing's remains the definitive version because of Crosby's delivery. You can feel the longing and melancholy in Bing's delivery. I think you even develop a mental picture of the imagery, similar to when you're reading a book. 

Crosby's jazzy arrangement of "Jingle Bells" - I'm not sure who gets credit for the arrangement but it's fun and lively and Crosby and the Andrew Sisters seem to be really into and having fun. But what I love is that almost 70 years later Michael Buble not only does his own version of Jingle Bells but clearly uses almost the exact same arrangement as Crosby. 

"I Wish You A Merry Christmas" - I'm not sure where to start! I just purchased "Christmas Classics" (This really should have been titled "I Wish You A Merry Christmas - The Deluxe Version") this year and while some of these songs I've heard over the years I've never had them all in one place to truly appreciate how good these recordings from 1962 really are! In a way it's amazing that it took this long for Bing to go into the studio to record a dedicated Christmas album. I can only assume with the strong sales of "Merry Christmas" Decca saw little need to record another album. Just as amazing is that Capitol never re-released the album with "Do You Hear What I Hear" which is truly one of Bing's best Christmas performances! Should this be someone's introduction to Bing's Christmas music? Why not! The original album features 7 or 8 songs that I think get that remain popular titles on Christmas playlists and radio stations and "Christmas Classics" adds at least another 2!

"A Time To Be Jolly" - I stumbled across this album a few years ago after hearing the title song playing in a department store and thinking 'what the heck is that!'. This is really a great album that shows Bing in top form. It's not as good as "Merry Christmas" or "I Wish You" only because none of the songs are familiar Christmas staples. I suppose this album would be better remembered if Bing had recorded some established songs, such as "Happy Holiday/Holiday Season" , "Holly Jolly Christmas", "No Place Like Home", "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year", "Merry Christmas Darling" or even "Mistletoe and Holly" (now that makes me wish Bing had recorded one more Christmas album!) but really this is an album that deserves more notice! Also what is with these darn re-issues not using the original album name?

Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy - I wish I could remember exactly what you guys said in the podcast, but I think this duet that happened because of extraordinary circumstances is one of THE highlights in the Crosby Christmas catalog! Yes, Bing was frail, and he is secondary in the song but he's not diminished. Bing is the good host letting the guest get the best part. Honestly this is one of the things I've quickly grown to love about Crosby, use watch him sing a duet and you can see him making sure his partner is there with him, and letting his partner shine. He's not trying to make himself look good and he doesn't need to! Crosby and Bowie start of together equal footing and then Bowie breaks into "Peace On Earth" and Crosby continues to sing "Drummer Boy" under him and bit subdued but then you get to the shared chorus "Every child must be made aware" and the music picks up and swells and Bing suddenly booms in volume and strength! At that moment Bowie HAD to have been aware that he was seeing the master at work! Really to me this is one of the best Christmas songs Bing ever did! It is traditional and yet contemporary (imagine if Bing had done a whole album in a similar vein!) and Bing shows that he can hold his own against singers who weren't even HALF his age! 

Again great job guys! It was a fun listen! I just wish you both had been down the road at the local coffee shop so I could have sat in with you! 

14/12/2017 8:43 pm  #3

Thanks for your kind words, Ron.

15/12/2017 2:38 pm  #4

Ron,

Thanks for your very kind, thoughtful comments about the podcast Malcolm and I recently did.

Like you, I also wish Bing had done another Christmas album, because there are many great Christmas songs that he never recorded or that he only did live on radio. I basically agree with your view on I Wish You a Merry Christmas and A Time to Be Jolly, which are both very interesting albums. However, I still think the best place to get an introduction to Bing's holiday music are his classic Decca recordings, which we fortunately have all in one place -- that outstanding 2-CD set MCA put out some years ago. I believe those are the recordings that define the sound of Bing as a Christmas singer. The other two albums are good companion pieces and are fantastic in their own way.

Regarding the jazzy arrangements of "Jingle Bells" and "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town," I would assume Mr. Trotter gets the credit for the arrangements, because he was musical director for Bing in those years, but I am not sure about that. In any case, they are wonderful arrangements, and the fact that Buble has used the "Jingle Bells" one is proof of his good musical taste (or the taste of someone in his entourage, at least!).

Thanks again!

AGF

15/12/2017 10:55 pm  #5

Vic Schoen was the man behind Jingle Bells and Santa Claus etc.

16/12/2017 2:32 am  #6

Malcolm,

Thanks for clarifying the identity of the very hip arranger behind "Jingle Bells" and "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town." 

AGF

17/12/2017 3:41 am  #7

Thanks Anton and Malcolm for an interesting hour. I believe the only version of 'White Christmas' with the verse which I've heard is one by Richard Tauber. The recording begins with him singing the chorus followed by the verse. I don't know when it was recorded.

17/12/2017 11:53 am  #8

Graham Pascoe wrote:

- - I believe the only version of 'White Christmas' with the verse which I've heard is one by Richard Tauber - -

I have a recording by the American operatic baritone Thomas Hampson, and as it happens I attended a concert (which was not primarily Christmas themed), last week, where the operatically inclined male soloist included it in a selection of operatic arias and songs from musicals.

On most, possibly all, occasions that I have heard the full version with the verse it was performed by what are frequently described as "serious" singers! Perhaps they are more inclined to sing precisely what they see on the page of sheet music rather than modify anything?

I believe the Tauber version dates from 1944.

Last edited by Richard Baker (17/12/2017 12:26 pm)

17/12/2017 10:18 pm  #9

Richard,

According to that often unreliable but also valuable source that is Wikipedia, there are other versions with the verse. Here's the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Christmas_(song)#Original_verse 

The only one I've heard among the ones mentioned there is the one by Darlene Love.

AGF

18/12/2017 12:11 am  #10

Thank you for that link, Anton. The listing is certainly not exhaustive, and I know I have heard it from others, several in live performances. I have added this research to my ever expanding list of things to do!

18/12/2017 4:25 pm  #11

There’s a nice version (with verse) by one of my very favourite ensembles, the Portland, Oregon-based show-band “Pink Martini”.

19/12/2017 12:14 am  #12

Additionally, I have discovered in my own record collection versions by Robert Goulet and by (guess who) Rosemary Clooney (on her White Christmas Album).
When I have time I'll investigate on line possibilities.

03/1/2018 1:24 pm  #13

Hello can anyone tell me more about Christmas with Bing!  (14 track cd released in 2013 on Sony)?  I received it as part of a Christmas gift and there are no liner notes...anyone know the origin(s) of the tracks?

Thanks and Happy New Year 2018 all!

Regards,

Jim Allen
Tennnessee

10/1/2018 7:43 pm  #14

Hello All:

I was able to find 4 tracks on the well documented Crosby Sesssions (cd) which I also have.

This CD has track times as follows;

Tracklist 1. Bing Crosby - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer2:082. Bing Crosby - Just What I Wanted for Christmas - available on Sessions2:213. Bing Crosby - Secret of Christmas - available on Sessions2:554. Bing Crosby - Peace on Earth/The Little Drummer Boy - available on Sessions2:375. Bing Crosby - White World of Winter - available on Sessions2:126. Bing Crosby - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!2:147. Bing Crosby - It's Christmas Time Again2:488. Bing Crosby - Marshmallow World2:509. Bing Crosby - Good King Wenceslas2:3810. Bing Crosby - Joy to the World1:4411. Bing Crosby - Christmas Star2:3112. Bing Crosby - O Little Town of Bethlehem1:2413. Bing Crosby - Away in a Manger1:2414. Bing Crosby - Night Before Christmas3:19 

Board footera