10/11/2017 2:35 am  #1

A Trip Down Memory Lane - Web Episode 1

I hope it's okay to publicize this here. I had started broadcasting - or attempting to on You Tube. This first episode is counting down my five favorite male singers. I encourage comments and suggestions!

15/11/2017 6:25 am  #2

Re: A Trip Down Memory Lane - Web Episode 1

Gee, that's a splendid production. All of the singers had many hits in Australia and some performed here. My top five would have included Perry Como and Frank Sinatra at the expense of Bobby Darin and Dick Haymes. The introduction by Bea Wain, who would not have been well-known here, reminded me that a couple of months ago Greg Van Beek included a fine tribute to her in his NOSTALGIA RADIO TIME program with, if I recall correctly, a fascinating interview with her. I'm looking forward to future episodes.

22/11/2017 4:17 pm  #3

Excellent podcast, Mr. Lobosco! I hope there'll be many more to come! And I absolutely agree with you about Dick Haymes, one of the most underrated and unjustly forgotten among the crooners of the 1950s, Here's an article I wrote about him for one of my blogs several years ago, concentrating on his Capitol work:

http://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com/2010/06/introspective-years-dick-haymes-on.html

22/11/2017 7:07 pm  #4

I really liked Dick. Have a couple of cd's back in Aus.
'It Might As Well Be Spring' is a real favourite of mine.
Nice easy style like Perry too, but our man Bing was the leader.

03/12/2017 12:16 pm  #5

I just published episode two of my You Tube series - this time I look at my five favorite female singer!

05/12/2017 5:46 am  #6

Hooray David! Since I saw your first episode I've been anticipating this one and thinking of my favourite female singers. My first two are easy: 1. Ella Fitzgerald, 2. Jo Stafford. Then I decided on 3. Vera Lynn, 4. Connee Boswell, 5. Doris Day. I also pondered over Ruth Etting but concluded that I'd not heard sufficient of her recordings to include her. Incidentally, the photos you included are beaut: such glamour! What's the hat Connee wore in the shot of her behind the NBC microphone?

01/1/2018 3:55 pm  #7

Ruth Etting is very overlooked! Loved your list. I'm not sure about Connee Boswell's hat in the one pic!

01/1/2018 3:56 pm  #8

Here is my third episode of A Trip Down Memory Lane. I think I worked out the kinks from episode 2.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming - only one Bing recording in this episode!

09/1/2018 6:17 am  #9

That's another interesting episode David. The only record I'd heard before is Bing's. Suggestions for possible future episodes: Performers whom Bing admired greatly or influenced him in his early years OR artists or songwriters whom Bing assisted or encouraged early in their careers or to boost them after they'd slipped professionally or personally.

23/2/2018 2:20 pm  #10

Here is episode 4 of my You Tube series. I featured Bing singing a few Oscar nominated songs!

17/3/2018 3:22 am  #11

Here is my latest web series. On this episode five I spotlight my favorite songwriting team of Lorenz Hart and Richard Rodgers. Sorry no Bing this time around, but I hope you still enjoy it!

Last edited by Lobosco (17/3/2018 3:22 am)

12/4/2018 6:43 am  #12

A copyright block has prevented this Aussie from watching your video. Pity!

Board footera